Author Topic: Big XII Football 2009  (Read 22466 times)

sdcforever

Re: Big XII Football 2009
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
What a disappointment that McCoy got hurt. :-\  I was looking forward to a good game, but it will get out of hand quickly with Clement in there as Texas QB.  Texas can't move the ball at all, and their defense will tire in the second half.  I hope the injury isn't serious and McCoy can come back in the second half.  I wish they could postpone the game or something.  Either that or make Alabama sit their best player (Ingram) to try to even things out.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:32 AM »
I think Texas decided the game was over at 24-6, and didn't want to risk a serious injury on McCoy, so they announced he was out for the game.

All the Horns fans here are saying, "...but if McCoy hadn't been knocked out of the game...", so I tell them, "You mean, if Bama hadn't knocked him out of the game!"

They want to treat his absence as some kind of freak incident that had nothing to do with the Bama defense.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:25:16 AM by KBCraig »

sdcforever

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »
^That's true, it wasn't a freak accident.  I'm sure "knock McCoy out of game with shoulder injury" wasn't on 'Bama's game plan, but they'll take it (I know "hit McCoy hard any time you get the chance" was on the game plan).  At least it's only a pinched nerve, but it's a shame that this will hurt his draft stock.  It's always sad when a player gets hurt.  Never like to see that.  Texas came back though, shockingly enough.  I don't know if that is due to the fact that 'Bama eased up after halftime, or that Brown and his coaching staff drew up some amazing stuff to get back in the game (or maybe Gilbert finally got a little comfortable in the game), but at least it got interesting near the end.

Speaking of interesting, ESPN is trying to get the men's NCAA basketball tournament and Final Four starting in 2011.  The kicker:  if they get it the bracket will be expanded from 64 (technically 65) to 96 teams.  So that's something to watch for.  Why do I bring this up in this thread?  Because all four BCS games plus the title game are moving to ESPN starting next year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:14:12 PM by SDC Rules! »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
^...and it could soon be 5 BCS games.  Just saying
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
^I hadn't heard about them adding a BCS game.  Do you have any details and the reasons why they want to add a game (other than more money, of course)?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »
I don't think this will hurt McCoy's draft stock at all. He played smart: he didn't play.

I have no doubt that his inner competitor was screaming to get back on the field, but his outer Dad was screaming at him to stay put!

Yeah, he could have come back in late in the 3rd, early 4th, and maybe made a difference. Or he might have thrown wobblers that hurt his draft status. Or he might have gotten seriously injured, and thrown away an NFL career for one more NCAA game.

I'm an avowed horns hater, being from Arkansas. I was glad to see the SEC team win, no matter who it was. That said, I have to profess some admiration for Gilbert. What must it be like for a true freshman to have his very first college game be the national frickin' championship??? He showed a lot of grit. He also gave up a couple of interceptions and a sack/fumble that made a big difference, but give the kid a break!

It was a great game. I was pleased that the outcome matched my prediction. Well, okay, I predicted Bama would win by more, burt close enough.

sdcforever

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
^I really hope it didn't hurt McCoy's draft stock, but even a pinched nerve causes concern for NFL teams, especially when it's in his throwing shoulder.

I'm a Mizzou fan, but I'm also a big Arkansas fan, so it looks like we have that in common, KBCraig. 8)  That being said, I have nothing against Texas or 'Bama, so I didn't really care who won the game last night.  I, however, don't like seeing players injured especially someone like McCoy, who is really a class act.  As for Gilbert, I was really impressed with his performance.  He actually willed Texas back into the game in the second half.  It was an incredible performance, especially for a freshman.  Yeah, he made turnovers and mistakes, but that's to be expected.  I think Texas will have a bright future with Gilbert behind center.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
^I hadn't heard about them adding a BCS game.  Do you have any details and the reasons why they want to add a game (other than more money, of course)?

I think they want another game for the the non-automatic BCS conferences
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
Here's an update on the speculation that Mizzou is looking into joining the Big 10.  Rumors are flying today that Pitt has accepted an offer to join the Big 10.  According to several Pitt student athletes, athletic department officials had closed door meetings with student athletes last week getting feedback on the potential move.

If this is true, what does this mean for Mizzou?  If the Big 10 stops expansion at 12 teams it means that Missouri is stuck in the Big 12, and loses any leverage it might have had in changing the revenue sharing and TV packages of the Big 12.  If the Big 10 keeps expanding, it might mean nothing.  We'll have to wait and see.

Read more here:
http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/681