Author Topic: Big XII Football 2009  (Read 22465 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Big XII Football 2009
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »
Might just be the wake-up call they needed.  I wish, though, that they would use Moore as their main TB, rather than Washington.  I've been more impressed with his slash and dash style than Washington's plodding.  And with no running game to speak of, the defense can really key into the pass game.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 03:37:25 AM »
A local buddy is from KCMO, and a Missouri grad.

I couldn't help it: I had to post on his Facebook wall:

"Lessee... Chiefs still suck, your ATM card got skimmed and your account raided, you had an IT audit at work, Mizzou gave up 27 in the fourth quarter.

"Wow... this just ain't your week, pardner!"

;D

sdcforever

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
Looks like Bradford will start today against Baylor (not that they really need him today; they've always had Baylor's number).  He's hoping they can get themselves back into national title contention by rattling off nine straight wins.  I don't think so...  It's only a matter of time (today or next week against Texas, perhaps) when he gets slammed to the field again on his shoulder.  Then he will have surgery.  Besides, it takes more than winning out to get back into title contention.  The teams ahead of you also have to lose a few more times.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:44:59 AM by SDC Rules! »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 02:07:14 PM »
I still say that Bradford's and Tebow's NFL careers are in jeopardy.  Tebow with his level 3 concusion might not play football again.  Bradford is only one hit away from a career-ending injury.  They both are stupid for coming back this year.  I know I usually say they should always finish their degrees so they have something to fall back on, but both are majoring in football.  Stupid.
SWOOSH

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »
I'm an OU fan, but I totally agree...both Tebow and Bradford should probably hang it up for the year and spend their time getting healed up and prepared for the NFL combine.  And as a realistic OU fan, we're NOT going to the national championship.  We may not even win our division in our own conference.  It's the second week of October, and 19 spots back in the polls is way too far to go with teams like Alabama, LSU, Texas, and Florida ahead of us.  I'd be happy with the Holiday Bowl right now.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
WEEK 6 - BIG XII FOOTBALL

Thursday, October 8

Nebraska 27
Missouri 12

Saturday, October 10

Oklahoma State 36
Texas A&M 31

Iowa State 36
Kansas 41

Baylor 7
Oklahoma 33

Kansas State 14
Texas Tech 66

Colorado 14
Texas 38

-----------------
CURRENT STANDINGS

NORTH DIVISION
5 0 1 0 Kansas
4 1 1 0 Nebraska
3 2 1 1 Kansas State
4 1 0 1 Missouri
1 5 0 1 Colorado
3 2 0 1 Iowa State

SOUTH DIVISION
5 0 2 0 Texas
4 1 1 0 Oklahoma State
3 2 1 0 Oklahoma
4 2 1 1 Texas Tech
3 2 0 1 Baylor
3 2 0 1 Texas A&M
SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
A bit off topic but...

Jeremy Maclin had a big day for the Eagles yesterday.  From the Eagles website:

"Jeremy Maclin, the Eagles' first-round pick in the 2009 draft, took advantage of his opportunity to start in the absence of injured wide receiver Kevin Curtis with a whopping 142 yards receiving on six catches. Oh, and two of those catches just happened to be touchdown receptions of 51 and 40 yards.

The 142 yards receiving were the third most ever for an Eagles' rookie, behind Don Looney's 180 yards in 1940 and Hank Baskett's 177 yards in 2006."

Way to go Jeremy!
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
Well, Texas holds on to defeat OU 16-13 in a sloppy, defensive football game.  And the inevitable happens, as Bradford reinjures his right shoulder.  If he comes back this year you can paint me blue and call me a Smurf! ;)

Meanwhile, Texas Tech is pounding Nebraska in Lincoln at halftime 24-3!  TT is a good team, with two losses not to be ashamed of (Texas and Houston).

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 03:05:29 AM »
As I said on Facebook, if Bradford breaks that easily, he should take up chess.

OSU beat Mizzou. One of my fraternity pledge brothers posted pics of his wife and Garth Brooks before the game. (I'm kinda ashamed of him, since we're from Arkansas!)

I'm very surprised that OSU scheduled a conference contender for Homecoming -- almost as amazed as I was to learn that Florida scheduled Arkansas for Homecoming. It's an insult to be scheduled as the Homecoming opponent, because it implies you're an automatic blowout. Florida found out different! No matter what that lying scoreboard said, the final score at The Swamp was: Razorbacks 20, Gators 10, Zebras 13.

sdcforever

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
As I said on Facebook, if Bradford breaks that easily, he should take up chess.

OSU beat Mizzou. One of my fraternity pledge brothers posted pics of his wife and Garth Brooks before the game. (I'm kinda ashamed of him, since we're from Arkansas!)

I'm very surprised that OSU scheduled a conference contender for Homecoming -- almost as amazed as I was to learn that Florida scheduled Arkansas for Homecoming. It's an insult to be scheduled as the Homecoming opponent, because it implies you're an automatic blowout. Florida found out different! No matter what that lying scoreboard said, the final score at The Swamp was: Razorbacks 20, Gators 10, Zebras 13.

In my mind Florida is still #1; wasn't impressed with Alabama's win either. In fact, the top 3 all had ugly wins yesterday (Florida, Alabama, and Texas).  Arkansas is a good team, no doubt about that; and when you turn the ball over 4 times against a good team and still manage to win, that says a lot about your character.  That's why Florida is still #1 in my mind--you don't play your best and still pull out a win.  I have a feeling Florida will still be #1 today in all 3 polls (AP, USA Today, and BCS).

As for Mizzou, Gabbert needs to let his ankle heal this week.  We need him 100% in order to beat Texas.  You want to win every game, but after the last two weeks Saturday night becomes a MUST win if we want to have a chance to win the North.  What doesn't help is that it's also a must win for Texas, since they're playing for a realistic shot at playing for the national title.  I don't like how we're fading in the second half; the past two weeks we've been outscored 36-3 after halftime.  If that happens against Texas we'll be blown out of the water!

We'll be playing under the bright lights, as the game against Texas is the Saturday night game on ABC.  In fact, College Gameday may be broadcasting from Columbia!  The crowd needs to be loud and boisterous, and we need to play with some fire!  We are capable of pulling off this upset.  In fact, our season depends on it.  Looking a little ahead, we have a test on Halloween too, playing at Colorado.  They're no pushover at home, as their upset of Kansas yesterday proves.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
As for Mizzou, Gabbert needs to let his ankle heal this week.  We need him 100% in order to beat Texas.

Texas barely beat a second-string freshman QB on Saturday. I was not very impressed.

sdcforever

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
As for Mizzou, Gabbert needs to let his ankle heal this week.  We need him 100% in order to beat Texas.

Texas barely beat a second-string freshman QB on Saturday. I was not very impressed.

It's not like Landry Jones torched them on the field--you can't deny that was a defensive football game, and the Longhorns won that battle.  Texas is outscoring opponents by 27 points a game; they score an average of 42/game while only giving up a little over 14/game.  Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Gabbert out there than Costello.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:39:12 AM by SDC Rules! »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »
Just to thrust a little SEC news into the forum, the horrible Mark Curles officiating crew has been suspended until November 14, pending review.

While I'm a huge Razorbacks fan, I'm not a Gator hater. If Florida had legitimately won that game, I'd shrug it off and remind everyone that the Hogs are a rebuilding team of freshman, and just wait 'til next year!

Yes, the Hogs blew some game-winning scoring opportunities (two missed short FGs, one overthrown TD pass). On the other hand, the winning margin was a field goal... not the 4th quarter FG Florida made, but the FG Florida kicked when the play clock read :00 before the snap.

I am forgiving of officiating mistakes, and I don't think we should overly scrutinize live mistakes under a microscope with instant replay and high def. But, if a crew makes mistakes, those mistakes should balance out for both teams. That obviously didn't happen in UA@UF. Six sacks, four forced fumbles, constant backfield penetration, and not a single holding penalty, even accidental or unintentional? Sorry, that just doesn't add up. (Especially when you watch the game and see holding on almost every UF snap.)

Final score: Razorbacks 20, Gators 10, Zebras 13.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Blah SEC football is so boring.

This weekend should provide some fun football to watch.

BOOMER SOONER and HORNS DOWN!!! M - I - Z!!!

Oklahoma at kansas
K-State vs Colorado
Nebraska vs ISU
Texas at Mizzou
aTm at Tech
Okie State at Baylor
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
Shockingly, I think I have to root for OU against Kansas. :o  We need Kansas to lose another game so we can have a shot at the North title.

I think there are three things that need to happen for us to beat Texas:  1.  We need to cut down on our turnovers.  Those are what killed us the last two games.  2.  Gabbert needs to be healthy and effective.  His ability to scramble and run with the ball will be important in this game.  3.  Contain Colt McCoy and limit Shipley's YAC.  Our secondary really needs to step up.

If we can do those three things we can win tomorrow!

M - I - Z!!!

Z - O - U!!!