Author Topic: Buying Big Splash = Demise of Zingo  (Read 2868 times)

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Buying Big Splash = Demise of Zingo
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Today, the Big Splash water park is selling season passports for $25 in celebration of next years 25 anniversary.  I was about to buy some passports and then started to have second thoughts.  Didn't Big Splash have something to do with Bell's Amusement park's rent going through the roof?  If they did play a role in closing Bell's, should I be getting season passports to that water park- even if it is filthy cheap?

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Big Splash = Demise of Zingo
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »
We lived in Tulsa when all that mess was going on, and having known people who knew the city/county system in Tulsa, I happen to think that the details surrounding Bell's was orchestrated by the Tulsa County Commissioners and not by the folks at Big Splash.  I also think they want to eventually force out Big Splash as well, but that's just my opinion and I'm never right when it comes to predicting the future.  We loved going to Big Splash and tried to support them as often as we could, even with all the rent issues and "safety" issues...

I would say support Big Splash because it's the closest park of its kind for a lot of kids in the Tulsa metro area and surrounding cities (like Muskogee).  And $25 for the season is a great deal.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
I have refused to support Big Splash for years. They have long made significant contributions to local leaders just as decisions like Bell's dismissal are made.  How convenient that their biggest rival and the fairgrounds largest money maker got the boot just as they were given a no-bid lease on the midway.

There are many, many stories about the Murphy's and Big Splash and their questionable business practices. It's not surprising that their slides are literally falling apart. They finally painted some of them to make them look good after the big fiasco last year where a young girl very nearly was killed when the master blaster collapsed.

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
But how do you really feel? ::)

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
 If I go next year, I'm going to see if there are some discounts on Craigslist.  It seems like there are tons of discounts.