Author Topic: The Train Holdup Skit  (Read 29206 times)

RollaJedi

• May the Force be with Ya'll!
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets: Missouri and Kansas SW Fan Site
The Train Holdup Skit
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:41:55 PM »
I've been going to SDC since i was born.  I've always remembered the train skit where alfie and ralphie bowlin hold up the train.  Has it ever been different or is there ever any talk of changing it to something new?
Huge Star Wars fan.  Owner of the official Missouri and Kansas Star Wars fan community, Coreplanets.

http://www.coreplanets.com

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: The Train Holdup Skit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
They will add or take out stuff depending on if they need to hurry things along or stall... but pretty much the skit has been the same for as long as I can remember.

As far as changing it, I've heard they're contemplating doing away with it all together.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
It does change depending on how many trains they have going at once. I can't remember which part gets cut out on the short version, but I rode the train a few times a few weeks ago and noticed some major differences depending on the time of day and the number of trains running.

I don't think they'll do away with it altogether until they run out of space to put it. They've already had to push it back to a new location because of TGS. If they put a new coaster back there, who knows what they'll do. It would take a chunk out of the park if they did away with it though, I can't remember ever going to SDC and not being robbed on the train.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
I can't remember ever going to SDC and not being robbed on the train.

Just every year during An Old Time Christmas  ;)
SWOOSH

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:19:49 PM »
If they cannot get employees to take the characters a little more serious, then they should do away with it.  I was there Monday and it was just flat terrible.  There was only "Alfie" and the conductor and all they wanted to do was try to get each other to fall out of character which ended up just looking stupid out there.  Alfie was even trying to knock the conductors hat off with his "stick" during the monologue.  Very unprofessional and I might add a little embarrassing.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »
I've always wondered if it was part of the script for the actors to drop lines and start laughing at themselves.  Kind of Branson style chummy-ness.  I'm pretty sure that it is intentional unprofessionalness designed to build a relationship with the audience.  If it is not planned, the line dropping has happened too many times and I'd have to agree with dropping the show. . .but it's got to be intentional. 

RollaJedi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Oh, i kinda like it when they mess up and know it.  I've seen the skit done so many times it offers something new and funny.  I could understand if it was your first time seeing it though.
I'm pretty sure the part they cut out when its busy is the whole thing about their mom bein on the train, then they go and pick some lady to play their mom.  I like it when the lady actually goes along with it and says shes their mom.  :D

i seem to remember when i was very very small my parents took us on the train and there were 4 (or even more than 4) people doing the skit.  it was more like a beverly hillbillies type skit than a holdup i think.
Huge Star Wars fan.  Owner of the official Missouri and Kansas Star Wars fan community, Coreplanets.

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
We love the skit! We also like it when unplanned things happen. I hope the 'actors' do take it seriously and can still have fun. Before anyone does away with it, try freshening it up.   These characters are some of the only ones left in the park.   Maybe Alfie and Ralfie should get run out of town square every morning, and maybe sneak back into town at the end of the day only to be arrested and hauled away in the sheriffs horse drawn paddy wagon????   

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
It's great the first few times- now my kids will not ride the train because the hold up bores them :'(

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
Oh, I agree with the occasional blunder, but these guys blew the whole skit.  Once the train started back, it was like everyone thought "what was that all about?"  I guess it falls in the category of "you should have been there" because it really was bad.

RollaJedi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »
i think it'd be funny if the gun didnt fire at the end and what their response would be.  wonder if thats happened before.  :D

SteamFreak

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
It acually happens quite a lot, two responses are used "everyone yell bang on the count of 3" "I had my silencer on"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
The conductor just yelled "bang" when we visited in the spring.  It didn't make much sense.  Someone should have something prepared for such an occasion.  After all this time, they should have better "adlibs".

Do the guys go stir crazy out there?  What do they do in between robberies?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:42:17 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
I'll be able to tell you soon. I was just hired to be one!

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
This goes along with what happened on our last visit.  As the train approached the Bolin's the conductor asked everyone on the train to yell "English" whenever the word Yankees was used.  It was funny the first two or three times then they began to look foolish.  My youngest son and grandsons were on the train.  I am not sure if the people in charge of the city want them to have these kinds of memories of the train ride.  It has always been one of the great things about SDC.