Author Topic: Gaslight Square  (Read 17454 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Gaslight Square
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »
If this idea had worked, we would have been dodging Model Ts by now!  By SDC count, this would be 1910.  What other luxuries would we be enjoying in park?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:20 PM »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »
And now 25 years later they are touting the balloons as a new attraction. Creative advertising at its best.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »
Ha! I completely missed the balloons! Good point.  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm not on Facebook so I couldn't comment on the Gaslight Square Throwback Thursday so decided to revive this topic to post.  It's true Gaslight Square did not return in 1990 (thank God!)  An employee told us in '89 that Kenny Rogers was in talks to buy an interest in the City and convert it into a Riverfront-type theme park.  Thankfully that idea sank like a lead weight.  The same employee told us in '90 it was decided to keep the Ozarkian theme of the park and stay in the 1880s.  Duelist
I'm Your Huckleberry

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
My Wife Jan on Gaslight Square in 89. We courted that summer and wed in December. It worked for us!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:53:20 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
Long time no see, Old Guy!!! Happy to see you back.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

zsc100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Anyone else bothered by this photo attached.  I know this dancing on the square is only during moonlight madness, but it just rubs my theming nerves the wrong way.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Yea?    well count me out too.~~    Thats OK, it aint for everybody...~~~  LOL

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »
I can't stand it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
lol, party poopers. It's not for me either, but I'm glad people are having fun. I'm surprised so many seem to show up and partake. Clearly it's enjoyed though, and it's been done for so many summers now it's practically an SDC tradition itself.  ::)

Not sure what it has to do with gaslight square though. While we're on the subject though, I noticed that they took out one of the last Victorian light fixtures behind the tater patch building when the area was re-done. Are there any others left?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »
While I might not be out there dancing, I love seeing all the people that are out there having a good time.  The square can get pretty packed with people enjoying the music, so it's obviously pretty popular.  It's only for 2 weeks a year, where they emphasize the "night time party" mode of the park, so it doesn't bother me at all.  Let them have their fun.

I just don't want to sound like one of those grumpy old people yelling, "get off my lawn you pesky kids."  I figure if I get to that point it's time to quit going to parks. :-P
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
While I might not be out there dancing, I love seeing all the people that are out there having a good time.  The square can get pretty packed with people enjoying the music, so it's obviously pretty popular.  It's only for 2 weeks a year, where they emphasize the "night time party" mode of the park, so it doesn't bother me at all.  Let them have their fun.

I just don't want to sound like one of those grumpy old people yelling, "get off my lawn you pesky kids."  I figure if I get to that point it's time to quit going to parks. :-P

If I ever get to that point it’s time to quit living.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:47 AM »
Holy Zombie Thread  :o
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
I gotta say, I went last year to see Dizzy the DJ and hear Sequel Dose. Actually, not quite true; I went to the park that day and stumbled on Dance Party walking out.  We hung around a bit to let the crowd of those leaving die down, and it just got better and better. Dizzy was off work at nine, but announced he was having so much fun, he was going to stick around. I didn't think I'd care for it, but I loved it! Sequel Dose is tremendous, IMO, and Dizzy had everyone involved between the ages of one and 80 dancing.  A little loud, but fun! Out of theme, YES, but it was after hours, and families were having a blast.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:26:00 AM by Gilligan »