Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > SDC Memories/ Park History

Gaslight Square

(1/7) > >>

shavethewhales:
Does anyone know what Gaslight Square was? See the attachment below this post to see what I'm talking about.

I'm assuming it was just the main square, victorianized, from back when they were trying to keep the park exactly 100 years in the past? The typography and graphics look like 80's - early 90's material to me.

History Buff:
You are correct.  The lights in the Main Street area were to be handlit each evening, but I never really noticed.  I like that idea, but I'm glad the whole Victorian idea tanked.

rubedugans:
I never thought this was a great idea because I believed it would change the city square too drastically. This was late 80's ( possibly 88' or 89'). Van Horn's Mercantile was on the square where the Cowboy store/ former lace shop is right now I believe. I couldn't tell you since this is actually one brochure that I DO NOT have!  :( Jealousy sets in!!!)

Copper:
The Vanhorn’s Mercantile took the place of the original General Store. Gaslight Square provided a lot of guest employee interaction. There were heavily themed barbershop quartets and tandem bicycle riders. Beautifully dressed Victorian women and men would interact with guests in the square. The reason why it failed: “We can get Victorian anyplace,” said the guest, “We can only get Ozarks here at SDC!” As a young boy I loved it. Yes, it removed SDC from Hillbilly, but I would give anything to be back to theme.

History Buff:
^AMEN!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version