Author Topic: SDC's 2008 Project  (Read 63356 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2008 Project
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
^^Last time I was there I don't remember seeing your picture.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
OK, cool. Thanks for lettin' me know.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
The new webpage for the Culinary & Craft School is up at http://www.sdcculinarycraftschool.com/.  They're making a big deal about how much of the building has hand craftsmanship from shops in the park (no word about who handmade the vinyl siding), and the class schedule is up for the season which starts September 11.

There will be two classes a day, and classes are two hours apart.  Cost for each class is only $10.  For this season, there are five classes offered on various days, and the classes are all themed for the fall/winter season.  Future offerings will include crafts and classes for kids.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
Interesting. It'll be pretty cool when this finally gets finished and opened up because it has been awhile since SDC has came out with anything to further their craftmanship offerings and showings.

I do wonder how this will work for them. I know my family won't take the classes but I'd assume senior citizens might. Otherwise I don't think many people would want to do this. It'll be a nice addition though definitely.

sdcforever

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
^Those classes do seem like fun, and relatively cheap for a theme park offering.

I think the classes for kids might be pretty popular, and even if most classes are only popular with older adults that's still a large percentage of SDC's visitors.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
I have a feeling that the tour bus groups will eat this up and that it will be included with their package ticket.  The older folks are going to love this as it will give them something to do other than watch people ride.

I wonder if my "mothers" would like to do this when they come down with me and my wife for Old Time Christmas... I might have to ask them.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »
My wife is in "the city" today, and she made sure to take the camera.  She tells me she has shots of the parking lot project, of some flags in the GE, and of the devastation in TSL.  I'll try to get them to post sometime before the weekend is over.  I make no promises, however, as to the quality of the pictures, though, since I haven't seen them yet.  She reports a couple of grumpy park workers, one of whom told her the balloons may not be going back up any time soon.

Steve, should I shoot them directly to you for the main site?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »
^That would be great, I can feature them easier from my controls.

What kind of grumpy workers were they? Official park workers? I wouldn't take too much stock in what they say, they're probably alluding to the fact that the location for the balloons hasn't been decided on yet.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
I'm not sure yet who the workers were.  They shouldn't come across as grumpy, though - they should be more prepared with answers from the bosses - but I understand - they're probably tired of people asking them questions.

Also, my wife has reported that there is no vinyl siding on the Culinary & Arts School - that is is wood siding.  That makes me feel better, as I couldn't imagine them going vinyl - hopefully that will remain true on the 2009 project, as well.

She's excited about the cooking classes, BTW, and wants everyone to know she's not one of the "older folks".

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »
Wood siding! I never imagined from the photos, it's unfortunate that it looks so similar, but it's good to know. I guess as the building grows older it will blend in more this way as well, especially if they re-paint it a different color down the road. There's still the tin roof to complain about though. ::)

sdcforever

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
^Wood siding!  That's a relief.  I'm not too concerned about the tin roof.  I suppose it does look different in person; cameras, with lighting and angles, can make things look quite different than they do in person.  It's so nice to know the school isn't as much of an eye sore as I originally thought! :D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »
We've got some new photos of both the parking project and the culinary school, thanks to History Buff.
http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=12
http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=11

I can't believe how far behind the parking project is. I mean, I know about the rain and everything, but this is kind of ridiculous. There's still months of work left to do and the project was supposed to be mostly completed about a month ago. Maybe this is another reason why the big ride project was pushed back. I'm sure this year has been hell for the park just because of the parking conundrum.

sdcforever

« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
^The wet weather has been nuts down there!  Has to be very frustrating for the park officials, since I'm sure they wish the parking lot and road projects were right on track.  But you can't control the weather.

As for the 2008 project, those are great photos!  I'm actually quite pleased with the project overall.  I never appreciated it's hilltop location until I saw the new photo gallery.  It'd be great to step out onto the back balcony and look out over Echo Hollow and the Ozark hills...really, that is a perfect location for the school, in my opinion. :)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »
^Yeah, I do agree with the location. Although we most likely won't do much with this attraction, I'm sure it will be very successful. (You guys have helped me change my mind about that issue  :))

I also think that with the school being there it will help it feel like that the Grand Expo is more part of the city, instead of on the outskirts like it really is.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »
As I look at the top of the page to make sure I'm in the right place...

Hey!  Look!  The 2008 project is open for business!  Finally!  Would anyone care to share their Culinary & Craft insights?  Who's been out to see the place in all its glory?

Also, what is this I hear about the basket shop relocating in the woodcarvers' building?  Where are the woodcarvers?  What's in the basket shop's old locale?