Author Topic: SDC's 2008 Project  (Read 62929 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2008 Project
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
If it is anything like over at SFStL the videos are made right as you order it and includes b-roll footage of the ride and then integrates you riding it into the video.  Something like $12 or something close to that.  There is no sending off and you can actually preview your footage before ordering.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2008, 07:58:42 PM »
I wonder if the delay in the parking lot/road projects is because of how much rain they've been getting down there?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »
Wow!!! That is pretty awesome!! The video cameras weren't on the ride when I was at the park a few weeks ago. They must have just installed them when you were there or something. That will be so awesome!!

^^I also have to wonder why the progress on the Craft School is so slow. It looks practically the same as it did in the pics I saw during the offseason. It will also make things more difficult for them to work on it now that the park is open.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »
I wonder if the delay in the parking lot/road projects is because of how much rain they've been getting down there?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

That does make sense.  I didn't think about that.  But that doesn't explain the delay in the Culinary & Craft School.  I have to reiterate my surprise at how slow that is coming along.  Maybe they're waiting for supplies or something.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »
The culinary arts school I can understand, but it is too bad about the new road and parking lot. It must be hell to work around a daily torrent of thousands of people, plus all that rain; I just hope they can work something out to get it finished up quicker.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Looks to me they spread themselves to thin on the off season.  They just need to hire an outside contractor to get the parking lot done within a certain amount of time.  There is really no excuse for the Culinary and Craft school's outside to not be finished.  They started too later working on it and should have had its outside at least finished... they should be in the "get inside done" phase by now.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
The Culinary & Craft School sounds pretty cool.  Have you seen the description on SDC's website?  If not, here it is:

"As the Home of American Craftsmanship, Silver Dollar City is taking the art of demonstration to a whole new level in 2008 with the all-new Culinary & Craft School!

Scheduled to open in fall of 2008, the Culinary & Craft School will provide a space for guests to share ideas, learn culinary secrets and long-forgotten crafts, and participate in hands-on activities your whole family will love!

The school will make its home in a charming 1880's style handcrafted timber-frame farmhouse. This newly constructed building will house our BIGGEST presentation of hand-crafted work to date showcasing functional as well as one-of-a-kind decorative items made by Silver Dollar City craftsmen. A state-of-the-art kitchen will welcome guests to participate in a rotating schedule of culinary and craft classes.

Continue to watch the website for design details, class schedules and even interactive ways you can get in on the action!"

Sounds like fun to me!  Now if it was only fall so we could all check it out... ;D  See below for the nifty design logo for the school (click to enlarge).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:17:46 PM by sdcforever »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

Sounds like fun to me!  Now if it was only fall so we could all check it out... ;D  See below for the nifty design logo for the school (click to enlarge).

Yeah it'll be interesting to see. This type of thing isn't really my cup of tea but I'll enjoy looking at it each trip even if we don't spend much time in there.

Oh and I'm not ready for fall. I'm just ready for school to be out! Fall would mean school would be starting again.  ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
It's going to be interesting to see how they work in a "state-of-the-art" kitchen into the 1880s theme!  Yes, it's a craft demonstration, but I doubt they're even going to try to mask that the refrigerator and the convection ovens are from the 21st Century.  That's what bugs me the most.

But I agree, the outside should have been finished before the season opened.  I hate to see construction while I'm there, unless it's part of a demo, but this one isn't even hidden.  It's a glaring reminder that there is no full-season 2008 project.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see how they work in a "state-of-the-art" kitchen into the 1880s theme!  Yes, it's a craft demonstration, but I doubt they're even going to try to mask that the refrigerator and the convection ovens are from the 21st Century.  That's what bugs me the most.

They have done it before.  Just look at Eva & Delilah's Bakery next time you are there.  They have huge convection ovens that bake everything and the only part you see of them is the door that is made into the brick.  This makes you not notice it is a modern oven you mind thinks it is a big wood fired oven they would have used back then.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »
^I agree with you, oklaSDCfan.  I think they'll mask the modern appliances and conveniences the best they can.  They do a pretty good job of that throughout the park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
They do a pretty good job of that throughout the park.

That is the only thing that gives me hope with this situation. At least if they don't hide the modern equipment they can say that it is because it is in the Grand Expo area.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »
I honestly don't think they will hide it at all.  It's not like the school is really part of the park anyway as it will be an upcharge.  How is this any different then from the "test school" they did last year in Red Gold?  I see it being a very modern kitchen with country decor in this cabin.  It won't be seen by the "common guest" unless they pay to take the classes.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »
^I'm completely stupid. I didn't know the classes cost extra  :o. So, is anything in the School free? Can we walk in and look without paying? We're not really the type of people that would pay for a class (especially when roller coasters and other enjoyments are in walking distance)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
The show room is free.  It shows off how the crafts can be integrated into your home
SWOOSH