Author Topic: SDC's 2008 Project  (Read 63353 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2008 Project
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
I can tell you from working there for 10 years that they arnt fixing the mansion.. sorry its a rummor.. almost all ther buildings leak there and the roofs are replace one by one. not a priority. with the expansion of the parking lots i can tell you there is no money

Where exactly do you work in the park?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 10:55:36 PM »
I'm curious where you work too, because what you are saying and what I have seen and heard are not matching up.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »
OK, fellas and gals, they're doing some work between Echo Hollow and the Frisco Barn.  There is a wood fence there blocking the view down the hill and into Echo Hollow (Of course, you can't usually see through the trees there anyway.).  Looking through the knot holes, you can see some earth-moving equipment and that an area has been cleared.  Are they merely widening the walkway to Red Gold Hall and the Grand Exposition, or are they putting the "New for '08" Craft Barn in that location?  It seems odd that it would be the latter.  This area is a narrow trail and would just be more congested with people coming in and out of a new structure.

Also, the road re-route is going to be extensive and expensive.  One can definately see how millions are going to be spent on this for next year.  It looks like the parking is going to be much more organized.  We're just hoping they're not setting things up for pay parking in the future.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2007, 11:24:01 PM »
^Hmmm, could they possibly be planning on turning the Frisco Barn into the new craft house? I wouldn't think so, but crazier things have happened. Maybe they are just widening the pathway, as it is not only part of the parade route, but also a major pathway into an expanding area and is thus pretty crowded.

I agree with you about how the new road is going to cost millions, but most of that is being taken care of via a Branson TIF project, right? The parking lots will still cost quite a bit themselves though, as I imagine the there's quite a bit more to it than just the new gully parking lot.

Still, I expect something more to be announced than just the new craft house, maybe another small family flat ride or a new young-family oriented activity. It just doesn't seem likely that they would go a season without adding any sort of new draw with the way they've been moving recently - the momentum is just going too well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
Confirmed: Now new ride for 2008.  They are building the Culinary Craft School across from the Red Gold Harvest Barn above Echo Hollow.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »
That's it? Huh, and the craft house is only going to be a cooking school? And what an odd location for it...

Lame... oh well, as long as we get the woodie in 09, I'm happy.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2007, 10:38:10 PM »
Not just a cooking school -- it will change with the seasons on what they have in there.  It is actually a rather large building they are constructing.  It will be part display area -- see what you can do at home with the crafts from SDC and part school. 
SWOOSH

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
How serious are you guys about the cooking school concept?  Ya know, I would almost plan a visit around learning a new way to use my dutch over.  This sounds almost. . .innovative.  I've never heard of such an idea.  Hopefully they can widen the sidewalk threw there at the same time.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »
This could be used as a means of advertising. Not sure if SDC would think of this themselves:

They could partner with the Food Channel and have guest TV personalities Rachel Ray, Ina Garton, Tyler Florence, Paula Deen... host their shows from SDC with the studio audience consisting of SDC guests. There could even be a segment of Historical Kitchens that would show how the kitchens form the past worked. There are a lot of opportunities to utilize here.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »
That's it? Huh, and the craft house is only going to be a cooking school? And what an odd location for it...

Lame... oh well, as long as we get the woodie in 09, I'm happy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  I think it's great SDC is taking a break from new rides, it will balance the recent expansions out more.

8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:33:39 PM by Dukefan »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2007, 07:51:32 PM »
^Yeah, it is pretty awesome, I just thought there would be a little more, what with them saying that they would spend $5 - 8 million this year on improvements. I guess I didn't expect the parking project to be as big as it is.

Now that I know it's more than just a cooking school, I'm more excited for it. I still say though, that this would have been a great year to throw in a small shop or two around the park, even very small ones. The Grand Expo needs something like a magic shop to balance it out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »
Well FWIW, they are adding a new show to OTC - Frosty the Snowman in the Boatworks theatre and not to mention they are adding a lot of stuff to the other festivals as well.

SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Photos of the construction area for the new culinary school
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/silver/120507/
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2007, 10:05:32 PM »
Awesome, but I still say it's an odd place. It seems so small, how large is this school/craft/demonstration building going to be?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2007, 07:24:14 AM »
It's bigger than you think.  I'm not sure on the dimensions, but it runs from behind the games there across from the entrance to Red Gold all the way down to the start of the facade for Frisco.  Then the area cleared goes down to the top of Echo Hollow -- it's not small by any means
SWOOSH