Author Topic: SDC's 2008 Project  (Read 63344 times)

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2008 Project
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »
you never know though, I mean I would love them to get a woodie but i think the tilt coaster would bring more guest to the park rather than a woodie would, don't get me wrong i love woodies but the tilt coaster seems to be a good idea
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
^It looks cool until you ride one and it leaves you unable to lift yourself out of your seat from the bashing. Plus, operational issues are huge.

A woodie, on the other hand, is timeless, fun, thrilling, cheap, and family-friendly.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
Haha. This is funny. Back in July I posted that SDC might be getting a tilt coaster. That idea was shot down quick. (check SDC's next coaster thread). Anyways, now that I've been explained the logic behind all that, I doubt it will happen. But at least I'm not as stupid as some think.

A woodie, on the other hand, is timeless, fun, thrilling, cheap, and family-friendly.

Woodies aren't cheap. Especially the one SDC would get.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »
Woodies can be as cheap or as expensive as SDC wants to make it.  Compare a steel coaster with the same specs to a woodie and the woodie is cheaper.

I'm a little confused by one of the posts: Who has rode a tilt coaster and where was it.  I can't find one in America.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »
I've never rode one but it looks fun.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »
Woodies aren't cheap. Especially the one SDC would get.

Woodies, especially GCII woodies, tend to be very cheap comparatively speaking. If SDC went all-out and got a monster woodie, it would only cost them $10 million or so, whereas a monster steel coaster costs more like upwards of 15-17 million.

As for Tilt coasters, only one exists, and for good reason. The lift is a big gimmick with huge operational problems. The ride itself is pretty mediocre and apparently can be quite rough.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »
What is the name of the Tilt coaster- I want to take a look at it and see what a real one looks like.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:54 PM »
It's called the Gravity Max, and it's in Taiwan.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
So today Conductor Sam stated that the new parking lot was only the tip of the ice berg as to what is to come in 2008. Sounds like we'll be getting those hints, or at this point more likely a full announcement, soon.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »
He's been saying he's going to give us hints forever!!! I'm wondering when it's going to happen.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
Okay hi everybody. I'm johnwalterjohn from the SFSTL forum. I'm the guy that said I like SF better. Before you all blow up, let me explain. Since I was 5 or 6, my family has been a yearly SDC season-pass holder. I am a big thrill seeker, and nothing at SDC really thrills me anymore. Yes, I heard a rumor of SDC getting a tilt. But before you say SDC is way better than SF, you should probably go there at least once. It's much more up to a thrill-seeker's perspective, but it has shops and shows too. The crowd is friendlier, and long lines on rides aren't as common. SF is also a better deal, since you can go to the Water Park free with you SF admission, but Hurricane Harbor has just as many water rides (if not more) than White Water.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:28 PM »
SFStL and SDC are night and day - practically two different universes. Let's try not to have a discussion right here about the aspects of both, but I'll speak quickly for most other people here and say that we really could care less about the great many other parks around that have more and larger thrill rides. SDC is all about the atmosphere - the experience as a whole. It's like the difference between CP and Disney World, but IMO, SDC knocks DW out of the park. Rides are excellent, but if they don't have the SDC charm, it's just another trip around some tracks or through the air on some mechanical contraption.
I mean, I'll go to SFStL for the thrills, but SDC is all about just relaxing and having a good time, in a somehow completely different way. I like both types of parks dearly, but if I had to chose between the two I'd pick SDC. (Btw, I have indeed been to SFStL)

Anyway, I really think we should all just put the tilt-coaster rumor to rest - anyone with any experience in the industry will tell you it's just not going to happen. Seriously, SDC will get a Vekoma boomerang before they get a tilt-coaster.

However, as we thought they might, they seem to be focusing more on traditional SDC goers this year than thrill-seekers, what with the massive new craft barn. I don't think the craft barn will be the only new thing for 08, but I think it shows us what demographic they're focusing on right now.

There must be something big coming though, a central new attraction this year, it's been hinted all season...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:15:15 PM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »
Genesis said at Media Day this Spring that next year would be a "medium cap" year... FYI The Grand Expo was considered a "medium cap" year as well.  However 2009 would be the next "large cap" year.  PowderKeg was the last "large cap" year.
SWOOSH

ideaman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
I can tell you from working there for 10 years that they arnt fixing the mansion.. sorry its a rummor.. almost all ther buildings leak there and the roofs are replace one by one. not a priority. with the expansion of the parking lots i can tell you there is no money

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:42 AM »
^Not any money? They said they were investing between $6-8 million into the park this year, that's enough for the parking lots then some.

It still could be just a rumor that the mansion will be fixed, but it seems highly likely all around.