Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 166908 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #585 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
I stick my tounge out at you rube.  :P

Yeah! I do too!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 28, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Very cool, thank you for the info on it. I knew it was a good deal, and you all know I cannot pass up an SDC item!

mlmt

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
My Aunt Virginia Lieuallen Petett used to tell about when she was going to the School of the Ozarks in High School (yes, they had a high school there) they would go to Marvel Cave for a school picnic.  There was nothing there, but a hole in the ground and a ladder to climb down and fire torches to guide them.  She died in 2007 at 99 and a half years old.

I remeber going there once before SDC was built and then the next year the front street was there and the Wilderness Church.  The highway actually cut through between the front street and the church.  You had to walk across the highway to get to the church, but there wasn't much traffic back then.  This would have been I'm guessing the late 1950's.

We attended church on Sunday morning there when we went to the park.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
I have been stocking up all winter...now I have about 15 more items!!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »
I came across a desk organizer at goodwill yesterday with a great mark on the bottom...too bad it was broken (missing the last of the dividers and still was $3.00!)
What do you think...too much for this? I mean I could buy a cedar plank, cut it to size, sand it, varnish it, and put it into place...but that's alot of work for this!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 30, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
That is a fun find!! You stinker. I will find your hunny hole! I see this one is from goodwill!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #591 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »
Nice catch! Another piece of Ozark history in your hands. Not too shabby for the same price as a couple of Sarsaparillas. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
The price tag on the bottom says "Goodwill" but there are how many Goodwill locations in the St. Louis area? We will find that honey hole, Rube! Watch out!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
Well to be honest I search 3 GW Stores that are all within about a 15 mile radius of me about once a month. I rarely find anything great SDC related, usually a few Branson things though if I am lucky, sometimes I buy, this time I didn't because of the damage, and well I have no use for it! If ya'all want it I can pick it up and we can have a swap meet!

Ozark Woodcarver

• McCoy
  • Demonstrating Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Artists Page
« Reply #594 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
Speaking of way back, I was browsing page 1 - waaaayyyyy back in this post and happened across the MWA picture.  I'm wondering if it could be from the organization of the Modern Woodmen of America insurance company (founded in the late 1800 's).  I have attached a link to their history page, and there is an office on Hwy 160 in Forsyth, MO.
 ???

http://www.modern-woodmen.org/AboutUs/History/Pages/The%20Story%20of%20Our%20Name.aspx

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 04, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Hmm...that is a very real possibility...I will have to look into that.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
Ever go into an old, old cemetery and see headstones that look like logs or fallen trees? Those were for people who had an insurance policy with Woodmen of the World. The headstone was a death benefit. The company allowed local stone carvers to make the headstones, that is why there is such variety. The headstones are a form of folk art.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 04, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
Well I'll be! I found a similar pose to this one that is from 1909 with the same MWA axe pose, and the similar hats to a few of the gentleman.

"Drill teams
One of the most visible elements of the organization was its drill teams. These groups came to be known as Foresters and became well-known in America. The first drill team was organized in Hutchinson, Kansas, in 1893;[6] these groups became nationally known for events held from 1890 to the late 1930s. Each group was differentiated by a different style and color of uniform. "

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
I got 4 more postcards this week that I had never seen before, and one AMAZING piece that is going to take a little work before any sharing takes place.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »
Dang eBay....I got what I thought was my AMAZING purchase...and unfortunately I was sent the wrong thing by the seller. It was an honest mistake, and hopefully It will get resolved once I send him the wrong one back...boo.