Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168372 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #510 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
As far as the Grand Exposition, I believe that area was once an employee parking lot. For those who have Google Earth, you can use the Historical Imagery slide bar, and go all the way back to 1990.

Wow, I didn't know it had that feature. That's pretty cool. I think that's not really what I'm looking for though. That would mainly be an aerial/satellite photo, where I'm looking for a picture from inside the park. Gonna have to come out of someone's personal collection I imagine.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
Lake Silver pre GG.... Not that all of this at this time is gone now, but this was the closest I had on hand at this time! About the last 1/4 of the trees are gone now, and around the rest of the lake prior to GG, it looked much the same as this. This area can still be seen, however the train ride used to showcase more of the lake, This is by no means a "good" photo of the lake, but I have to have something when I get those old 74-76 photos out!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:51:01 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
For a look across Lake Silver from the late 70s/early 1980's prior to the building of Greedy Brothers, Geyser Gulch, and Splash Harbor, take a look at my flickr account...go all the way back to page six.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 18, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
For a look across Lake Silver from the late 70s/early 1980's prior to the building of Greedy Brothers, Geyser Gulch, and Splash Harbor, take a look at my flickr account...go all the way back to page six.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Just so I can get my barings, where were you standing when you took that photo?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #514 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
As far as the Grand Exposition, I believe that area was once an employee parking lot. For those who have Google Earth, you can use the Historical Imagery slide bar, and go all the way back to 1990.

Thanks to you! I downloaded Google Earth last night and was up til 3am playing with it. And I have class today!!
Thanks Ozark!  ;)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Anytime!  ;D

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
I miss the old weeping willows they used to have at the lake.
I am not sure if they have any like this still around the lake.  They look so nice and airy.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
I was standing in the photo at the end of the waiting line area at Rube Dugan's Diving Bell. Just about thirty feet away from the present "Dugan's Trading Company." The location that I stood at is now part of the channel of the lost river. About at the location where the channel turns sharply to go into the cave area of lost river.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 18, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
i have a question that may not belong here but here goes. back in the late 80s or early 90s they had car seats in some of the cars on the fith ride first why did they take them out and when. my kids loved it i can remember taken my now 20 year old son when he was 3 or 4 he couldn't get enough of it.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #519 on: October 18, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Junior,

The pic of Phyllis on the phone says its at the exit of OM. This is the same exit we use now to get on the trams, correct? Why are there turnstiles there now? I had always thought that used to be an entrance that was changed into an exit, but it looks like even back in the early 80's it was an exit.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
That photo of Phyllis is at the exit everyone has always used to go to the trams. I don't know why they removed the turnstyles there. I know they have counters at the turnstyles still used to go into the park. The turnstyle at the exit back then did have a counter too. Phyllis and others working her post back then were the ones that stamped your hand if you were going to the parking lot and wanted to return to the park later. I think that same job is done now by a person who stands or sits next to the exit door at the Ozark Marketplace. It's possible that they don't stamp hands anymore, because your ticket can be scanned, so they know if  you are holding a valid ticket. Times change! Phyllis was a great gal, a wonderful "Ruby Dugan" and she got along well with all the Juniors. She and I went to college at School of the Ozarks back then...I even got to take her out on a date one time to the movies. We saw the movie "Six Pack" that starred Kenny Rogers. She was a good kisser, too! I enjoyed my friendship with her. I wonder what's happened to her. If she is like me she probably has been married for years and has kids and grandkids, too!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
lol no i never done anything like that, cause i know what would have happend if i would have done them things, my ol man would have tore into me like there was no tomorrow, lol

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I always push those 1 extra time in memory of my late grandmother.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
at leaste you didnt go around smashing mailboxes or pumpkins or defying authority! (I hope) And if turning the turnstyles is a crime lock me up in the SDC jailhouse cuz I am GUILTY!

They wouldn't send you to the jailhouse to snooze, they would send you to the Flooded Mine to work.  ;)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
I will gladly work the flooded mine! sign me up!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!