Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 166841 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #495 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
I would love to see what it says about it. This is an original photo I have of this trip, and I would love to know who the other members could be.

I had found the photo as wel here:
http://www.whiteriver.net/famousfloats/daytrips.htm

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
I just got out my copy of the book, and it tells of the journey, but no other members of the group...maybe there is a famous person or two for Ozark legend, but who knows (I still believe it is "Old Matt" in the photo.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 04, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
I just got out my copy of the book, and it tells of the journey, but no other members of the group...maybe there is a famous person or two for Ozark legend, but who knows (I still believe it is "Old Matt" in the photo.

Rafferty credits the photo to the State Historical Society of Missouri; I wonder if they have any documentation to the other members of the Governor's party? The one fellow does look like Old Matt, though.  ;)

T/

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
When I bought the photos a while back, I became obsessed with trying to find the figures in the photo. I had not looked into the MO govt. officials. I do know that JK Ross passed away in 1923, so this could have easily been Ross...Even though the eyes could appear a bit more rounded, but the rest is spot on!
Back to the fishing trip...
Does #2 Gentleman

Look like this gentleman...(old Matt-J.K. Ross of HBW novel SOTH)

I am not a forensicologist, but I think I might be onto something here, the mouth, nose, eyes, and well a lack of beard, the gentleman holding this man up/supporting him for a photo...Will Rogers and now this man on a boat trip on the White River...I think it is definitely a possibility.
Will Rogers traveled the country from 1922-1935, Old Matt died in 1923...hmm

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »
great old photos posted on here everyone. thanks

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 14, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
Glad you are enjoying them! If I had time I would post to it everyday, but time is a hard thing to find these days.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Let's fire the wayback machine up for old times sake...how about we see exactly what the White River Valley looked like BEFORE they built the dam...Hop along for the ride, and don't forget to bring your cameras this is gonna be all under water soon!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:31:01 PM by rubedugans »

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
wow keep them coming i cant get enough of your photos and your post.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
Save your money young'ns ...Wayback set to a time when pennies were copper, and dimes and quarters were newly (5yrs earlier) changed to a sandwich of metals instead of the silver Good old 1970/71.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:47:32 PM by rubedugans »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #504 on: October 17, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
Awesome piece there rube!

Although I love how the coin is dated 1921, which is four decades after the time period of Silver Dollar City.  :P

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 17, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
That confused me as well! The Lynch's were working the cave at that time, but it was not until 1927 that the name was changed to Mavel (from Marble) I couldn't really find much about the year. Maybe a birth year for someone...who knows!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #506 on: October 17, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
If I might make a request: Do you have any photos taken inside the park near the "corners" that have now been expanded? What I would like to see is how it looked from inside the park before GG, GE, etc. I'm guessing this would be mid 70's about the time Deepwoods was added. Might be a hard request to fulfill, but I'm trying to visualize what it would look like if I was walking around the park circa 1974 or so.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 17, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
^I actually remember when GG & GE were added. GG in the 90's and GE in the last few years. Red Gold was added before GE and that was the cutoff for some time. Before Red Gold, the cutoff was at the Frisco Barn / Echo Hollow.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #508 on: October 17, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
As far as the Grand Exposition, I believe that area was once an employee parking lot. For those who have Google Earth, you can use the Historical Imagery slide bar, and go all the way back to 1990.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 17, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
I have several photos from trips during the 1970's I will check on what the areas look like. I have many early 80s as well and can give those a look when I get a chance. It might take a few weeks, but I will not forget!