Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168070 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #375 on: January 18, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »
forgotten about the indians.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 18, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
While these were being constructed, a large sign was posted nearby reading "Stay in one of these handmade cabins at The Wilderness/ SDC Campground". Silver Dollar City log hewer Mark Edwards was overseeing the whole demonstration, but is not pictured here. It was a nice PR move to bring The Cabins, and SDC together, I know it made me want to stay there! I have several others, one that I can think of showing Mark at work, but thats about it other tan, as I said the modern SDC Wilderness postcard. No slide sorry.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
that would have been a great marketing strategy!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
Great until you find that the lowest tier of cabins have no bathrooms for $65 a night! For many that is a deal breaker! They are however, called the "Primitive Cabins" you get more than you would if you were camping in a tent ($21), You want a bathroom? It'll costs you $121 for the "Rustic Cabin".

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
Just by his posture, hat, and profile, I'm going to say that log hewer is none other than Jim Waddell.  I know that he did do that for a period of time...just one of the many hats he wore at SDC.  Last I heard, he resides in Hannibal, MO, where he produces and acts in a Mark Twain show.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:36:02 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
Actually, that's not a particularly bad price for a basic cabin. When my friends and I drove to Florida a couple weeks ago, we stayed just south of Birmingham for the night in a "camping cabin" (ie beds but no bathroom, etc). Was a perfect place to stay since we got in late after HOURS of driving and didn't want to deal with putting up our tents for a single night there. It came out to about $55-60 with taxes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:46:16 PM by tinaalsgirl »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
yes, i have checked the rates at wilderness and the cabin "seem" a little high. However the the camping rates seem very reasonable.  AND the y have lots of "extras" that help out too.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 18, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
Zephon, I don't remember Jim Waddell doing the cabin demos, but you are the expert here. I remember JIm as the deputy sheriff, and I remember he did some part time writing for the local paper. He did an article on the Grady Nutt Show at the Hee Haw Theater in '81. JIm and I would occasionally work together. Another Junior and I were walking across Main Street one day on lunch break, and decided to "pick on" the deputy sheriff, taunting him and kidding him. (Played by Jim) So the deputy pulled his pistol out and started firing at the Dugan boys! We took off like bats outta hell. the guests loved the little ad lib skit! Ah, those were the days! LOL ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
While these were being constructed, a large sign was posted nearby reading "Stay in one of these handmade cabins at The Wilderness/ SDC Campground". Silver Dollar City log hewer Mark Edwards was overseeing the whole demonstration, but is not pictured here. It was a nice PR move to bring The Cabins, and SDC together, I know it made me want to stay there! I have several others, one that I can think of showing Mark at work, but thats about it other tan, as I said the modern SDC Wilderness postcard. No slide sorry.

What was the time frame here?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Mid-80's

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
I wondered why at the fall festival,, they did not build an actual building while they "demonstrating".  It was very interesting to watch.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
To my knowledge, from what I remember, they were simply framing up the cabins that would then be labeled, dismantled, and transported. Very different from the structures that have been raised in the past few years on the square that were pieced together, taken apart, and pieced together all day long for demonstrations of Barn, and cabin raisings etc. Still very cool to watch, but no work was done on site except the actual raising.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
Here's one from the 71' viewmaster titled "Whirlpool Excitement".

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »
AND this made me remember......Someone had posted a long time ago that this boat by Lake Silver is a part of the Float Trip (taken on a trip in early 2010) but upon further investigation, all of my photos show 5 rows of passengers, this only has 3. Much too small for a Greedy Bros. Boat, or a Jim Owen's Ride-UNLESS in the late 70's boats were changed to 3 rows as opposed to 5 on the Float Trip. All my photos clearly show 5, but are all from the early 70's, I have nothing from the last year or two of the ride. If not, this is just an atmosphere piece, heck maybe just a real boat!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »
whatever!! looks great.....