Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168220 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
I think I can find some photos for each of you...
This is the only Saloon shot from the interior that doesn't show only a dancing gurl (I guess pa really liked the costumes..or something!)
Well Zephon, lets see if you were working that day...
Either of these you?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:56:35 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
Junior...I haven't forgotten you...
here is the Rube Dugans Playground 1982

Lake Silver 1982-with a hint of the entrance queue
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:59:22 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
And if it is wagons that you want Ozark BBQ...how about a Paddy Wagon? I have a couple other carriages as well...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:15:33 PM by rubedugans »

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
Love the view of Lake Silver, with all the lush trees over the water. Never seen what the Diving Bell playground looked like before!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
One correction...the boat in the playground was originally, in 1980, located in Tom Sawyer's Landing. It was moved to the play area next to Lake Silver sometime between 82-84. The Rube Dugan's playground NEVER had the boat in it. The Dugan's playground had crawling tunnels, a slide, a little building at the top of the slide that kids could look out a window, and a wooden and net climbing obsticle. Also, in the 1977 and part of the 78 seasons, a water trough dividing the playground and the area where people lined up in front of the ride was used for the "panning for silver" activities, in which kids were given a little foil coated plastic medallion that had a picture on the back side of it of an open treasure chest and the words "Rube Dugan's Lost Treasure." Great to see all these old shots...bring back memories. Thanks, Rube!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
My mistake..I was 2! I stand corrected, I saw with the foliage, and the lakeside location that it was part of Rube's playground. PLENTY more to come!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
Don't stand corrected Rube, you can sit. ;)

You both blow me away with the knowledge you have about Silver Dollar City! Another great selection of photographs Rube. I especially like the patty wagon. ;D

It looks a lot bigger than Silver Dollar City's current patty wagon over by the Lumberjack Camp. Unfortunately, Silver Dollar City doesn't allow access into that wagon now either. Since when did Silver Dollar City become a look, and stare park, instead of an interactive park?  :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:11:54 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
The only reason I can think of regarding why you can't climb on the wagon is insurance liability. That apparently is the reason you don't see mules and horses pulling wagons on the streets anymore. Sad fact.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:58 AM »
I am unsure if the wagon is the wagon is the same one... Here is another view, from thinking abut the current one, I believe there is a seat in front, and the paint scheme is definately different

Here's how they USED to solve the animal issues in the City!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
Yeah, the patty wagon in your pictures is definitely not the same patty wagon they have now which is much smaller, and is all closed up unfortunately.

I love that last picture! The sign on the horse just makes me chuckle for some reason. ;D

Any idea who those two citizens are with the horse?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
tha picture is cute.... A lot of lost "kodak moments".. :-\

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
It's hard for me to tell (and remember) from the picture of the "don't touch" mule, but the guy with red suspenders might be named Noah Fredricks. He worked for a year or two with the city. I'm not 100 percent positive. Seems like Noah worked about 81 or 82 or 83. Did various street activities and was involved in entertainment if I remember.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
Nope, not Noah.  I remember the guy but can't call his name.  And...I could be way off base, but that might be me standing behind Sarie Ellen.  When I was the Marshal, I wore a hat and blue shirt just like that.  BTW, that's the rainmaker wagon that the mule is hitched to. 

And no, rube, neither of those guys is me.  I think that picture is from after my time in the Saloon.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
Zephon, since  you remember Noah, can you remember what years he worked there and what specific jobs he did? I seem to recall Noah and a partner had a big mobile "freak show" van that allegedly held the remains of "Bigfoot." They would take the van and park it in front of Wal-Marts during that time period of the mid-late '80's and charge an admission for people to tour it. Seems like that Noah stopped in Kennett, MO at the Wal-Mart there in that period of time. If I recall, Noah also worked at Shepherd of the Hills in the play. My memory is fuzzy about him, though.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
I have many views of the park in the 80's (hundreds), are there any requests for our next stop, I'd be happy to oblige if I can! No need to just have me lead this trip., Speak up, and I'll see if I got one!