Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168164 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
A few weeks ago I took a trip to Branson, with my 1963 Polaroid Land Camera and my Polaroid 1969 Colorpack II. Not quite Wayback, but hey it's my thread I will do what I want! The photos have the vintage feel since I used the same Polaroid Peel apart film produced by Fuji. Same process as the old ones, shoot, pull out of camera, wait specified time for the outside temp, peel apart negative and photo.WA-LA!

Old Matt's Cabin-SOTH

Molly's Mill-SDC

Hotel-SDC

I also have the train, the waterfall, the jail, the Wilderness Church, and a few others...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:46:46 PM by rubedugans »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »
That's awesome!  I'd love to have some functional old polaroid cameras like that.  The iPhone has an app that works AMAZINGLY as well to create a pretty close effect.  I'll have to try that when I go in August.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
I have always been a photography buff. I love the results you get with the old equipment. I'm actually very surprised you can purchase film for them. I had Kodak camera from the 70s that took film cartridges. Then I had a 35mm. I gave up on 'em in the last few years, and just went cheapo and used the disposable cameras...usually with marginal results. I recently purchased a Kodak Easyshare digital camera with 12 megapixels, and even though it is a very basic camera with only 3x zoom, it gets great results. I'm new to taking a memory card and plugging it into the computer, but I love the red eye feature, and the cropping abilities. It's very simple for an old school guy like me to operate/understand. I've even entered a photo contest recently...Arkansas Democrat Gazette is sponsoring a "Capture Arkansas" contest, and they will produce a book and a cd of all pictures submitted that fit their guidelines. I hope a few of my pictures will make the book, but as I have learned, there are many great photographers out there, and they apparently have bought these cameras that cost $1,000 to $2,000 that do all sorts of tricks and make fab pictures that look like pros took em.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
Fuji makes the pack film with 10 photos in each for about $10
FP 100C=Color
FP 100B=B/W
Cameras can run anywhere from $0.99 (the price I spent on my Colorpack II that I took those photos with)-$50 for the cadillac of cameras.

I have never spent more than $10.00 on a camera. Most of my cameras came from family/friends as gifts, or just to get rid of them. I try to use all the ones that I can, The others I am still trying to find cost effective ways to convert the large format camera to something more cost effective although 35mm is beginning to become pricey due to its scarcity.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
With my busy summer off from school, I didn't have much time to take you all on a journey back to simpler times. hopefully I will be able to get some time to show you all some of the things I was able to pick up this summer...On to Sept. 29, 1990 to when toys were made out of wood...WOOD I TELL YOU ...BELIEVE IT!!!!

"An endless variety of colorful wooden toys are churned out every day at Ezra's Toy Factory...where kids and adults share in the fun and games of yester-year."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:38:21 AM by rubedugans »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Toys made out of wood? But, but where do I stick the batteries?  ???

Actually when I was a child I had a wooden train. Each car was roughly ten inches long, and there were about seven cars total. Ah, the memories when I would wrap that train from the hallway, and into the living room. ;D

Children have much more vivid imaginations then most electronic toy companies give them credit for these days.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
So true...As a teacher, we have a blast on our no technology day when I have kids give up all modern luxuries, and they seem to have no issues...But then again when I was a kid I had a walkman, and an Atari! .BTW many ask these things, this postcard cost me $1.00. which is the same as the store price when offered in the General Store 20 yrs ago!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »
BTW many ask these things, this postcard cost me $1.00. which is the same as the store price when offered in the General Store 20 yrs ago!

Really? That's interesting! One would imagine that the price would have gone up (because it is an antique), or down (because it is old). Either way that was a dollar well spent in my opinion!  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
One would assume the price would go up with age, and traditionally that is true, however the quality is also a factor. Another large factor in postcard value is the fact if it is postally used or not. This one is used, and many collectors do not like that. I prefer the used p/c's since they literally tell stories, and are more of a snapshot as to the spirit, and feel of SDC. Kind of like the reverse on this p/c of Ezra's Toy Store!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:20:05 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Thanks, Rube, for this glance back at the toy shop! I remember it well. Kids loved the place. It shows not everything need be high tech. Simple things can be fun, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
A very coveted item of mine, that has been reproduced several times, however I have the original copy...

ARE YOU READY??? okay, Wayback Machine set to Feb, 28 1907-Marvel Cave (though it was not called that at the time) in the Register Room (you all know which one that is right???)  "My name is carved on this large rock ~Frank" is written in at the bottom. We see the Sphinx nose, which is still a prominent feature, haven't looked for it, but maybe Frank's name is still there. I know they went in and cleared a bunch out of the register room, but you can still see some remnants of old carvings on the walls in some spots.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:25:19 AM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »
Another great find! 1907...whew!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
Wow, that is very interesting! If someone has the chance to examine that rock, I would love to know if Frank's name is still there somewhere.

Very cool find!  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »
On a lantern tour we were able to spend some time in a less crowded setting and find a few carvings, nothing too deep because, again, during renovations the walls were cleaned/ and more than likely sanded to remove some of the graffiti and have a more pleasing and natural looking cave.Also. seeing the names more than likely would cause a tourist in the modern day to begin carving into the walls of the room as well. I guess the best way to avoid new graffiti is to remove the old stuff even if it is historical.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:32:46 AM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »
I've visited some of the show caves in Arkansas, and many of them have "tags" on the walls. War Eagle Cave near Rogers had several. The current owners even put a "War Eagle Cave" logo into one wall...looks like a professional, probably a guy who makes monuments or headstones, came in and carved the logo. I'm glad not too much of that stuff is visible on the Marvel Cave tour. The natural beauty of the cave is enough for me.