Author Topic: Crowd Levels  (Read 12401 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Crowd Levels
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
Since everyone always asks, I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic to report crowd levels after visits.

On the same subjects, how are the crowds this year? I've heard they're way up. It seems like every weekend people are reporting big crowds.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Crowd Levels
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
For the most part, weather has agreed with the park, this year.  As I recall, last year, in addition to a major ice storm, torrents of rain fell on many weekends (Remember how long we waited as they postponed the parking project due to weather.).  I think this may have contributed to smaller crowds for many weekends in '08.  I also remember being there with the largest crowd in park history, last Christmas season.

I really believe the weather is probably the primary drive in crowd fluctuations and not the economy.  Poverty studies consistently produce data that shows entertainment is more and more important to families who can't afford necessities.  No need to get into details, but I wonder if HFE is aware of this fact or if they simply react to the economic situation.  It's a tricky game to master.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

flossie17

• Act your age, not your shoe size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
While walking into the Peter Gossamer magic show, I saw an usher using a clicker counter thingey. Do they have to keep track of the crowds so he doesn't lose his big ego or something? Never saw that before... (BTW, the show was really bad. Sitting on stage right, you see how they do all their tricks.)

I bet Cedric Benoit doesn't do that!

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I've seen the clicker used for many shows- what amount of people does it take to be near capacity?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »
The clickers are to make sure they don't get the max number of people into the theaters. They do it on the cave tour also. The park has been fairly busy each time I've been this year.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
I wish that the large number of people in the park had something to do with how fast the hole in Tom Salyers landing was filled.  It seems that the low number of people had something to do with that hole never being filled in the first place.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
I still say that cost over runs and delays on the new parking lots is what caused the delay with the new ride (same song and dance over at Dollywood)
SWOOSH

docspeleo

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Doc on Lantern Tour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
we use the clicker at the cave because we can only take 60 people on each tour and well.. have you ever tried counting to 60 when people want to say hello? lol clicker keeps us on track..

i imagine its the same type of thing at the theater buildings... fire code and all... only a certain number are allowed in.
Former Cave Guide 2006-2011

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Not to mention, in the cave it's important to take the same number out that you took in.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:14 AM »
Not to mention, in the cave it's important to take the same number out that you took in.

Actually not as important as you would think.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »
Sometimes you can make better tips if a different number comes out...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
Pretty good crowds today. The park wasn't packed by any means, but during the middle of the day the lines for PK stretched down the hill, FITH filled it's switchbacks, and Wildfire actually filled a few switchbacks with two-train operations.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Has anyone heard any news regarding attendance figures at the park this year?  Just curious to see if attendance is up, down or flat at this point in the season compared to the same time period last year.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm curious, too, 'cause from all the trip reports I've read and the one day I was there, it LOOKS like the attendance is up from last year, but a hard number would be good to see.

Joy

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:09 PM »
Looks like the cheap ticker promotions will help in this reguard- just hope they had memories worth creating.