Author Topic: Lost Concepts Round-Up  (Read 26716 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Lost Concepts Round-Up
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:42:48 PM »
Since I'm doing a page on the Lost Improvement Concepts at SDC, I need to list all the concepts that have been submitted over the years but have never been acted on.

Here's what I know of so far:

• The Frissbee
  • The Topple Tower
  • The Ice House Coaster
  • The New Mine Train Coaster
  • The Doppelmayr suspended coaster
  • The Shot Tower
  • The Great Barn Play Area

Anyone know of any more?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Concepts Round-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
I figured after Joy's Photobucket page there'd be a new concept art page to the forums coming. Where do you guys get all this information?? I can never find any good concept art or anything.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
This is all straight from what I can remember. Before PK was built, a flurry of concepts were presented to the public like the Ice House coaster, the new mine train coaster, and the suspended coaster from Doppelmayr. Just this year, before TGS, there was a survey in which the Topple Tower and the Frisbee were featured.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »
I would like to see some pics of the mine train coaster and suspended coaster if anyone can find them for me please.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:27 PM »
Does anyone know more about the Enchanted Forest concept? I saw the artwork for it in Joy's gallery, but I've never heard about it before. Dollywood has something like it though...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
I do wonder if perhaps that painting was indeed for Dollywood and was mis-labeled as being for Silver Dollar City; I've seen that happen before.

Most of the concept art pics came from one website of an artist who I guess did concept art for theme parks.... I have his website on bookmark, but it seems the website no longer exists. I'm pretty sure the Enchanted Forest painting was one of the ones on there.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:10:36 PM »
Maybe it showed up as an SDC concept before it moved to DW, possibly even before Geyser Gulch was created. Who knows though, I've found it's pretty hard just to scrounge up what can be found from the 2004 surveys, let alone the countless proposals from before. Who knows how many great concepts have been considered over the years.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
On the Lost Concepts page on the site you said that the proposed Mine Train Coaster, might've replaced ThuNderaTion, since the park was unlikey to have two mine train coasters. Do you think that the park is looking to replace ThuNderaTion because of it's old age, or was it thought to have been on the way out just because of a proposed coaster of the same type coming in?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
^I really don't know, I just find it hard to believe that SDC would build a second mine train across the park from an older (and better) one. Thus, it's possible that this concept sprouted out of complaints that ThuNderaTion was too rough/old and needed to be replaced (Guests are very picky). I'm sure many people were suggesting SDC get their own Big Thunder Mountain.

Incidentally, ThuNderaTion received a massive retracking/ support job in 2005.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
I'm so glad ThuNderaTion was never completely removed. FITH, ThuNderaTion, and the removed Ore Cart roller coasters were all my first coasters. ThuNderaTion has a lot of history in SDC and if it ever gets removed I think I might cry.

I've rode both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Big Thunder Mountain versions, and maybe it's because of the extra long queue line, but I like ThuNderaTion better than both of them.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:01:36 PM »
Does anyone know more about the Enchanted Forest concept? I saw the artwork for it in Joy's gallery, but I've never heard about it before. Dollywood has something like it though...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Yes there a concept for the enchanted forest idea but it really didn't fit the theme for sdc so they turned it down.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:48:00 PM by shavethewhales »
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »
^That's what I was thinking, it did seem a little away from the 1880's town that SDC tries so hard (and rightly so) to keep in tact at all costs.

It's worth noting that any new developement to SDC will have to fit in with the town. This is another reason why I think they need to build more shops this year, particularly around PK and Wildfire, so that it won't seem so out of place when they put in another major thrill ride.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »
Have you heard anymore concepts or anything on a new ride or a flat ride??
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »
Just what's being discussed in the construction forum.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »
Ideas for future expansions, they came from Silver Dollar City surveyors.

Flash Flood Rapids
Ride the massive flood surge through Ozark Mountain canyons and gorges.

The town is flooded again, so prepare to hang on tight as you escape the approaching deluge. There’s no time to admire the scenery as your raft is tossed about the rapids. The turbulent waters send your raft pitching through a flooded village where you learn that a giant surge is heading your way. Suddenly, a wall of water rushes towards you and you find yourself riding a huge wave the way back to the start of your adventure.

Adventure Mountain Base Camp
Four outdoor adventure “Countries” spoke-off from Base Camp; with a variety of outdoor activities to appeal to a wide array of guest interests and activities suitable for different age ranges and the whole family.

1. Great outdoor adventure begins at Adventure Mountain Base Camp- your getaway to four exciting adventure countries. There’s Mountain Country with its cave trails, segway paths and other mountain activities.

2. Extreme Country, where you can zip, glide, kayak, or climb like an X-Games champion.

3. Kids Country for fishing, hiking, summer tobogganing and even tree climb.

4. Amazing Adventures, where you can go on family expeditions, enjoy day and sleepover camps and embark on overnight adventures.

I have more that I will post!