Author Topic: Lost Concepts Round-Up  (Read 26714 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Concepts Round-Up
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 07:54:59 PM »
I don't know if any of you have heard of Disney's America or not but they had an idea just like this. A Lewis and Clark water adventure. I don't want to see any current rides replaced. This is scary.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
I could see them perhaps putting in one of the boat-style water rides. Like Worlds of Fun has a log flume-type ride similar to American Plunge (but not nearly as thrilling), but they also have one of those wide-boat style water rides as well.

SDC could do something like that, where we'd still have American Plunge, but also a new ride that is a bit, if not a lot, different.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »
^Yeah, but that would be such a generic ride, and SDC is all about original experiences.

I seem to remember there being some other coaster concept proposed in 2004, I think it was actually a pretty good one, as I remember being torn between the rocket coaster and this one. It may have been another inverted coaster, anyone remember?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »
Well, what I meant was that they could use the type of ride that Monsoon is, but with a custom track and tons of theming/storyline, so that it's still a new water ride, but different enough that it wouldn't be a replacement for American Plunge.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 08:58:04 PM »
Worlds of Fun has the Monsoon which is a fun ride for WOF but not up to SDC standards. The Viking Voyager is what WOF has that is most like American Plunge, but AP is 10 times better in my opinion.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »
Yeah, but with a custom track layout and ultra SDC theming, a Monsoon-type ride could work.

And I totally agree--AP is WAY better than Viking Voyager. I only went on VV once this year, and that was only 'cause a friend of mine was working there.

I really wouldn't mind SDC getting one of those splash battle things. Those look kinda fun.

Is there any difference between Buzzsaw Falls and the Journey To Atlantis ride that Seaworld has? I'm always seeing pics for that ride, and it reminds me of Buzzsaw, but I don't know if there are any differences. It'd be cool to have a water-coaster back at SDC.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »
^Depends which Seaworld you are talking about.

Anyway, a flume probably won't come to SDC anytime soon as DareDeveil Falls wasn't much of a success at DW.

Anyway though, back on topic.

Anyone hear of any concepts before 2004. If there are this many from just two years, how many others are out there? What was floating around in 2000?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »
There are a ton of differences. No offense and you guys are going to hate me for this, but Journey to Atlantis had better theming that BSF. On Journey to Atlantis (I rode the one in San Diego) they have a vertical lift like a Vekoma thrill lift has. Both rides are very short though. But SDC is still better because JTA broke down like 5 times before I could ride it.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:34 PM »
I would want the Creature of the Creek to be like Journey to Atlantis in Florida (water coaster) with a touch of Escape from Pompeii (shoot-the-chute). I liked the themeing on both of those rides.

A Shoot-the-Chute ride would be something SDC doesn’t already have.

A great location for the Creature of the Creek would be on the other side of the Watterboggan where employee parking is. The ride would be housed in a themed warehouse and the queue-line could travel under the Toboggan giving the queue a greater effect.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 02:04:05 AM »
Hmmm... Just discovered something that seems a bit like what could be included in the Adventure Base Camp... It's some Challenge Trail thing at Disney's California Adventure; the description sounds a tad like part of the Base Camp idea...

Challenge Trail

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:56 AM »
I think the craeture in the creek idea is pretty cool and it would be better if they made it a water coaster, I think thery could do half the quene outside and put up some scenery like a camp site that is torn up to pecies by the creature. and mabey some bones and skulls and some fog effects would be cool to.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
I would want the Creature of the Creek to be like Journey to Atlantis in Florida (water coaster) with a touch of Escape from Pompeii (shoot-the-chute). I liked the themeing on both of those rides.

A Shoot-the-Chute ride would be something SDC doesn’t already have.

A great location for the Creature of the Creek would be on the other side of the Watterboggan where employee parking is. The ride would be housed in a themed warehouse and the queue-line could travel under the Toboggan giving the queue a greater effect.

I could definitely go for a Shoot-the-chute. Problem is, they're hard to build when you could build a more modern system that holds more people. As for a water coaster, that could definitely still work, as BSF was very popular in it's day, despite being only a prototype display of a ride.

I really want to know more about that Wild Mouse that kept popping up, it sounds like that's a recurring idea that someone really wants.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »
It wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a wild mouse if it didn't replace any current rides. But I have a strong feeling it would.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »
Hear is a bit of history for you. The Ice House concept is an old one. It came from SDC's first design guru, indeed the man responsable for the entire look of SDC , the flooded mine, Grandfathers, the tree house, float trip, and long forgoten buildings like the silver palace theater off of main street, and the patent office which is now the funnel cake shop by the blacksmiths. I'm speaking of the late Andy Miller of whome the parks internal Andy award is named.
Back in the early 70's he was hard at work on a design consept for an attraction called Superstition Walk. Late in its development plans changed for a bigger budget attraction, and he came up with the Ice house coaster. The drawing you have is his and hung in his office for years. It to was scrapped in favor of Rube Dugans.
In the Mid 80's I barrowed the concept and turned it into a suspended coaster with ice block cars slung from big tongs to sit on the back side of lake silver. This along with a dozon or more concepts (including another big coaster which I'll talk about another time) were taken to a school in St. Louis where we asked the kids and there mothers which concepts the liked. Where as coasters were the kid faves, they were at the bottem for moms. The compromise ride voated on was the lost river. And it was so. Another incarnation? I'd love to see it.
Hope this sheds some light
more later......
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
^Wow, I had no idea that it was even an old concept.

What ride manufacturer would you have chosen to build it?