Author Topic: How was your trip?  (Read 46056 times)

SteamFreak

How was your trip?
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
Let's just have a thread where you can post after going to the park about your day and anything cool you noticed, instead of putting those stories at the end of other threads. Maybe this could get a sticky? Anyway, I was at the park last weekend, and it was beautiful, 70 degrees, no lines and the feet of fire show was amazing. Then, Sunday we froze our butts off, saw the balancing monks, rode the indoor rides and went home at 2...still not a bad day in the park...I got a cool new tee-shirt.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How was your trip?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
There is Missouri weather for you. 70 one day, freezing the next.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

SteamFreak

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »
Well friday was a cold and dreary day, but it was a great day none the less. Bad weather only makes for short lines right? We saw the saloon show which was acually pretty funny (the charcters of "roots and coots" were the best) and rode fire in the hole quite a few times. I had a terrible performance in the flooded mine, so there's no way I'd post the score. We were 2 of 6 people on the Frisco, Conductor Jim (who looks and sounds exactly like Jeff Bridges) decided that the "free" admission wasn't low enough for the train ride. It made for some funny moments at the robbery.

Saturday was much better, at least for us, we saw Doc on his way out of the park...apperently not feeling very well. We started the day by  with the weather hanging around the mid-60's in the afternoon we acually took our first rides on the Plunge and Lost River this year...it was still cold. There were some longer lines but nothing to complain about. Only one train was running on TNT so that was our longest line. Had a great lunch in "Ireland" of fish and chips, then went to the old standby of "family fued" from the big skillet, by far my favorate meal in the park. 

barnswingfan

• I could ride the Giant Barn Swing for hours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
Yesterday was a great day, light crowds, great weather, yummy food, good performances.  I think weekday worldfest is the best time to visit because of the small crowds.  If I could only get my boss to let me take days off more frequently it would be great!
I loved the balancing monks!  It was the second time I watched.  This time they did not jump up the stairs on their heads so I'm guessing they had a minor concussion.  haha from the hard floor

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
SteamFreak

I was at the park for the Easter weekend.  Friday was a cold day but you are right now waiting in the lines!!!!!!!!!!  It was the first visit with our grandsons.  I have now been to the park with five generations.  Loved the new Saloon show and since it was slow the girls gave the boys special attention.  Son in law a dummy, son and grandsons flirted with the dance hall girls and they responded in fun.  Grandson took his first ride on "fire in the hose" as he like to call it.  (He is 4) He also made his first walk through the cave, (I did the same in 1967 when I was 4)  Saturday was much better and we also rode the water ride and the kids played at Tom and Hucks.  Had to buy some new shirts when they were done.  It was still cold.  The little one tooks a beating on the lost river.  Every drop brought a new wave crashing into him.  Did not like the food in the mine. (This was not SDC standards) The wait for the trams on Friday was not good planning on SDC part.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »
Today was a perfect day, weather wise.  Saw the Zhejiang Acrobats, again, a couple of other shows, and the only long wait was for Powder keg!  Enjoyed seeing Terry & Mandi.  (Didn't see Doc, but he spotted me frowning at the "cave closed" sign!)  Might be headed back down on Saturday, a perfect start for my vacation.  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

SteamFreak

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
What a day it was saturday, one minute mid 70's clear the next down pour and mid 50's I did get a chance to catch up on all the worldfest shows, I've not seen all of them, the Invaders were pretty amazing, I watched their show first (while using my iphone to answer "WITC")

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
^Your dedication to the game (Where In the City?) is staggering, SF!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
...I just...really have no life

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
 :D
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »
Well, it was a busy day today, got there at opening, left at 1:00...so crowded one could'nt hardly breathe, I did stop by the dulcimer shop and buy a mandolin and DVD...here goes nothing world...I'll see you at SDC tomrrow!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »
We went to SDC today, too.  SteamFreak is right; it was crazy busy in the early afternoon!  We left about the same time and also got there at opening.  We saw the balancing monks, but we didn't see the Feet of Fire.  We're going to try to catch that in the morning.  We rode Flooded Mine, and my daughter rode a few non-thrill rides.  It was weird for us to not ride any coasters at opening, but we are expecting a new family member in September, so those rides are out for me.  My husband declined to ride without me, even though I tried to get him to. 

We rode a regular old trolley to the gate this morning, but waiting behind it was one of the new white trams.  We were parked near stop 2.  We did ride a yellow school bus back to our car about 1:00, or so.  When we went into the park, the new filled-in part of the lot was empty.  We when came out, it was packed!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Went to the park tooday as well.  It was packed.  Saw Feet of Fire.  Not really impressed.  Rode almost everything once.  They extended the park hours to 7pm.  we got there before opening and ate breakfast and stayed till close.  After 5:30 the park was almose empty.  Rode the Lost River 7 times in a row...  we were wet.... Going back in the morning.  See you there.  Oh yea..   there were 15,000 in the park today.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
Oh yea..   there were 15,000 in the park today.

Close, final count was 17,000 people in the park on Saturday.
With the influx of busses (at final count there were 50 there) it was strange to see that long of lines for the shows AND the rides.  Usually you'll see long lines for the main shows, yet the rides are walk-ons.

Still think that your attendance is going to be down this year SDC?
I still think you should have finished the ride  :-\
SWOOSH

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
We were at the park on Saturday the 26th.  It was BUSY!  We were at the park by around 9:30 and chose valet parking to avoid having to load strollers onto busses.  We got through all of the lines in pretty good time, but that is because we only ride things that the 2yo can ride.  The big coasters had some insane lines.  And so did the Opera House.  Anyway, the weather was beautiful.  Food was great.  One complaint...why in the heck is there only one guy running both the Happy Frogs and the Ladybugs?  It creates some really bad lines for an age group that is not very patient. 
Also, what is going in the quilt shop? 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"