Author Topic: Fire In the Hole Question  (Read 42045 times)

pintrader

Re: Fire In the Hole Question
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
One alternative name I heard was The Devil"s Den.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
That would theme it to the cave, but not the town; I can see why that would have been shot down.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
I am writing from Pigeon Forge at the Days Inn.  I just left Dollywood and I will tell you that Blazing Fury gives FITH some great competition.  I think that they have up kept the ride better at Dollywood,  its very very similar.  I say they have more of a light leak problem than SDC and its worth noting the lack of the theme song is really evedent.  I wonder why they didn't carry it over.  Its empty without that.
This is my first trip to Dollywood and its interesting, they have alot going for them although its obvious that it is the same company.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
So, who sets the fires at BF?  What takes the place of Bald Knobbers?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »
Catfish Carson has a shack where he keeps his dynamite for blasting in the mines.  One firefighter warns another that they need to head on over there and check it out (outdoor recording).  You end up running into the dynamite storage shack, which is the explosion (noise and strobe light).  You end up putting the fire out with WATER!   

Last year I was able to look at the original blueprints and it did in fact say The Devil’s Den.  The large waterfall in front of the burning bridge was labeled volcano and an area that is no longer part of the ride was labeled geysers.  Hmmm… a little weird, but I guess there used to be volcanoes in south east Missouri.

As for Blazing Furry they play the outdoor recording, but you can’t here it too well.  They have mountain bandits that are looting and burning the town down.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »
There isn't much of any story that is explained.  There are a cpl of additional scenes such as a man chasing a woman and also a firefighter that shoots water over your car with his hose ( it lands across the tracks in a trough.) in the woods scene in the beginning there are a cpl basic anamatronic animals as well.
Blazing fury climbs much quicker than FITH and it platues out and starts to go downhill slightly before the drops, not sure why this happens. There is a waterfall falling from under the bridge and the bridge colapses.
The train scene is done better  as is the final drop, it has lighting effects in the tunnel with a water cannon that you get a good effect from.
It is smoother than FITH as well.
As i said no song makes for a less appealing ride.
If we get a mystery mine I do hope they smooth the thing out, it hurts your neck, even the 12 year old ride loving kids said this.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »
I'll be honest, I've never been to Dollywood. But I have seen plenty of videos and pictures of The Blazing Fury and it doesn't really resemble FiTH that much. The BF does have some of the same scenes (minus the baldknobbers) but have you ever noticed how BF looks more like some early 1900's deal goin whereas FiTH looks more 1800's old timeish?
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

Well you really have to see the ride in person as I had seen the vids and such as well.
You are right the setting is a cpl year off but that really doesn't apply to anything in the ride with the exception of the RR crossing sign that has blinking red lights.
Its almost the same thing, the town scene is a copy.
I think what I was pointing to is the fact that they have used a little more TLC keeping up
BF.  I love FITH, but I now see what could be done to plus and improve the ride without rocking the " theme".  BF was built a few eyes later so some tweaking could occur but honestly there is some plussing that could be done.  I wouldn't have realized it without this trip.
Don't think for a min I am tearing down FITH, farthest from the truth.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
I completely understand and I'm not saying that I think anyone is trying to tear down FiTH. I even agree that it need's a little TLC. I just (if youv'e ever seen any of my posts you'll know) don't want to see FiTH, or SDC for that matter, loose the little things that make it unique. SDC doesn't need to look to much like Dollywood because SDC is it's own place and that shouldn't change.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 07:09:47 AM »

I agree 100%
I have opened my eyes to things that could be done to refresh SDC not rebuilt or revise it.
My trips to SDC started in 78, I have seen many little things disappear for no good reason
many of those things were touches that gave SDC the edge you re referring to.  They were never replaced, I see a lot of upkeep at Dollywood.  I hate to think that SDC is seeing some lack of tlc.
Dollywood is set 30 years later than SDC, there isn't that much difference in infrastructure.
Its a nice place, I hate to admit larger and has more rides but I think that the shops in SDC and the shows are more frequent.
You should check it out if you get the chance.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »
Anybody know the history of the big bell atop FitH's facade?

Are there items inside the ride that came from other places that might be interesting?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
I think the bell came from a Taco Bell near Waco, TX!    (Ha! just joking.  ;D)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
Man!  I thought you were giving a serious answer.

I think the bell should ring every 50 minutes in commemoration of the anniversary.  I hadn't ever really noticed the bell until our last visit.  It is huge and kind of looks like a Liberty Bell.

pintrader

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
Is the bell in working order?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
A couple of years ago I was talking to a Giant Swing worker that was operating the Hi-Lo Silos and asked him if lightning struck the big weather vane on top of the Giant Swing barn very much.  He said he knew of it being struck a couple of times but the bell at Fire in the Hole had been struck by lightning so much they started keeping count and the count was up to 47 times. 
I'm Your Huckleberry