Author Topic: CC signs  (Read 16435 times)

kfoster4

• View Profile
CC signs
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
Just wanted to throw this out there.

1. The large electronic celebration city sign behind wildcat has been covered with ads for SDC and WW.

2. The large Celebration City sign on top of the Route 66 building was missing as of February 4th, but it was returned when I drove by on February 23rd.

Does anyone have any thoughts why they would remove a large sign saying "Celebration City" just to put it back up when HFE has stated the CC will not return in its current form?

Here's hoping to return as an attractions lead when CC reopens in a new form.

kfoster4

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: CC signs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
Don't know what the deal is with the sign, but the place will not be opening up again in the foreseeable future.  They are in the process of clearing goods and equipment out of the place.  Know anyone who wants to buy a used laser system?   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:19 PM »
^Do you know the details of what exactly they're clearing out? Are any rides getting ready to leave yet? I can't imagine most of the small flats staying, unless they're actually going to try to re-build it as a new theme park again.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
I still say they should move the laser show to Echo Hollow.  What a great venue to hold something like that in.  They could even change the show out for each festival.
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
I have hundreds of pics from CC when it was open. I wasn't the biggest fan of the place, but I loved the midway (mainly for the deep fried Twinkies & Oreos). I like timeless photos, that do not have many people in them (since the clothing usually signals the era of the photo) and I took a great many there with the facades, etc...I would love to take some before much is changed now, but I can't take too many from outside the fence.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
well, just yesterday (2/25) I went by the park and the construction or should i say de-construction crew was working on the ferris wheel and when i came back by.. it was gone...

Admin Edit: This is a joke, the ferris wheel is still there.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:29:16 PM by shavethewhales »

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »
^I wonder if they're putting it in storage or planning to sell it?

DocSpeleo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
^I wonder if they're putting it in storage or planning to sell it?

My guess is that they are putting it in the Cathedral room.. beside the Balloon Chase.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
Hmm... that IS interesting.  I wish you had got a better pictures of the missing wheel.
While it could easily go into the Grand Expo area at SDC, I'm not sure it would.

We'll have to wait and see where it ends up.
SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
sorry i only had my phone cam with me and took the picture as an after thought... i'll sneak on property later..

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »
Most of the rides have been put into storage and today they were working on taking some of them apart. As for selling them, I have heard they are not doing that as of yet. They have moved a lot of equipment to Dollywood, Stone Mountain and Wild Adventures. When I say equipment I mean food, merchandise, computers, stuff like that. They took great care of the park over the winter. It did look sad and lonely though.

Now on my way there the Ferris Wheel was up, but I don’t remember looking for it when I was leaving. It has to still be there. I think I would have heard a lot of commotion while I was there if they were taking that thing down.

Oh, and if they would heavily theme it Victorian I wouldn’t mind if it was at the Expo.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Copper, I saw you running to your car to get back home.. you weren't being very observant!

see you tomorrow! yeah!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
Whoah, what a development. This is huge. This may mean they've abandoned the idea of running the place as a theme park again.

I'm still holding out that rides will be part of the new concept, I hope they're just getting rid of the less popular rides and re-positioning the ferris wheel.
I mean, they could still be going after the animal park/theme park concept, or even a shopping center, resort, etc/ theme park mix like we speculated before, it's impossible to tell right now even as they take out rides.

It does worry me that the Ferris Wheel is gone though, I'm pretty sure that would stay if they intended to keep rides at the place, it's too iconic to lose. They could be repositioning it... but that's probably just getting my hopes up.

I guess we'll have to keep watching. Any rumors trickling around about what kind of concepts they're looking at? Any hint at an announcement coming any time soon?  I'll have to contact the park soon just to ask when they think they will announce anything.

Thanks for the updates!

DocSpeleo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
NEIN! Ich scherzte gerade. Das Riesenrad ist noch dort. Die anderen Sachen in Copper's-Mitteilung sind zwar erfolgt worden. TRAURIG!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
Nicht lustig. Solche Dinge werden ernst hier genommen werden. Kennen Sie dieses, das Sie sollten.

Ja spreche ich Deutsch
SWOOSH