Author Topic: The Branson Coaster Accident  (Read 4642 times)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
The Branson Coaster Accident
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
Did you all see where there was an accident at "The Branson Coaster" last weekend? What I read from Facebook posts they say the 12-year old boy became scared, stopped his car, then proceeded to exit but became trapped under the coaster? I haven't seen any official updates - so I'm hoping the child is recovering and they have fixed the issue on the ride. Is there any official word anywhere on what might have happened??

https://news.yahoo.com/boy-12-hospital-getting-trapped-200831832.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIJ7JalHAK4CiJUhOKq03C3bzvRyAFvmX042K_VGf4RawPPOXzNk2Sd7ZmPV7J4wbjRvCRm7O1WPYiy0g2J3nQgD1j2QXtz9rZt17zB3aXp80XvFQswrGqZ6hKIGsCAtJuq0chBxroNZlwnpvqbdNVTz6p8ikCKqWolR7KDmw9AJ

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: The Branson Coaster Accident
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »
It sounds horrible. It's hard to fathom what could have happened and I don't want to speculate too much, but typically you would expect something like this to happen when someone jumps out of the car. It's possible he thought he was supposed to get out at the base of the hill and got caught in the machinery.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
According to his grandmother, he is visually impaired (no sight in one eye and partial sight in the other). The thought that the ride was over, stood up and the ride started again causing him to fall on the tracks. It's a horrible accident.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/top-stories/kolr10-exclusive-grandmother-speaks-on-the-condition-of-11-year-old-who-was-trapped-under-a-branson-roller-coaster/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:10:17 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
According to his grandmother, he is visually impaired (no sight in one eye and partial sight in the other). The thought that the ride was over, stood up and the ride started again causing him to fall on the tracks. It's a horrible accident.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/top-stories/kolr10-exclusive-grandmother-speaks-on-the-condition-of-11-year-old-who-was-trapped-under-a-branson-roller-coaster/

Just to be clear, the report says these visual impairments are pre-existing.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 05:44:05 PM »
It was definitely rider error.  Sad that he got hurt, but in no way souls the Sawmill be held liable
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »
It was definitely rider error.  Sad that he got hurt, but in no way souls the Sawmill be held liable

Will not stop a lawsuit though.

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »

You guys have rode a lot more coasters and different ones than I ever will.  So my question is, is it normal for a person to be able to get out of their seat and get off a coaster that is still in progress?  I just figured most were designed to not be able to unlatch or unlock until the ride was over and done so by the ride operator.

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
I love coasters but I'm certainly not an expert.  That said, I expect it depends on the technology used.  For example, on a mountain or alpine coaster I would expect the technology to be less elaborate than that used at SDC. JMHO.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
These little mountain coasters just have seatbelts than can be undone at any time by the rider.

pintrader

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Hmmm....sounds like they just need to put the latch out of the reach of the rider.  Kids nowadays would unlatch on a dare let alone an honest mistake like this one.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »

You guys have rode a lot more coasters and different ones than I ever will.  So my question is, is it normal for a person to be able to get out of their seat and get off a coaster that is still in progress?  I just figured most were designed to not be able to unlatch or unlock until the ride was over and done so by the ride operator.

Yes. All mountain coasters have a normal seatbelt that can be released at any time. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »

I had to listen to someone talk about how they wouldn't ride Velociraptor on a recent trip because, "it went upside down and it only had lap bars and I didn't want to fall out." 

But...rode Hulk

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
The state inspected the ride on the 9th and approved its reopening according to KY3.