Author Topic: SDC has lost 2 of it's great ones on the train in the last 3 weeks  (Read 2273 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned in a post yet.
Mike Hughes, aka "Big Mike" aka "grandpa" on the train passed away from complications from a fall back on April 24.  He was also a train robber/ conductor in the past, worked Flooded Mine and other areas, and for a few years was the park attractions operater (the one who kind of oversees what's happening and coordinates the park).  A huge loss.
That was followed up May 1 with Rick Hord passing away from a sudden heart attack.  Rick was in many ways the heart and soul of the train, but had also worked Flooded Mine, Fire in the Hole and others.  If you've been in the park in the last 30 years, you've seen Rick.tribute video here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdFd6mHx1pU
go fund me for funeral expenses here  https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-for-our-beloved-rick-glen-hord
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC has lost 2 of it's great ones on the train in the last 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »
Yes they were 2 great guys and will be missed.  They were both very friendly and talented.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »
Great video and tribute....I could listen to those stories all day long.  They will sure be in my thoughts the next time I ride the train.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:01:56 AM »
Profoundly sorrowful.  Rick was a great friend to my family.  During the times when my wife was disabled by her hip replacements, he always stepped forward to help us out.  Whenever he had a free minute, he was eager to chat and trade stories.  We have missed him since he left, and we mourn his passing.

busymom4kc

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Husband and I saw this. We are so sorry to have lost these great men. Deepest condolences 💐
The memories made at Silver Dollar City last a lifetime.
Pass them on to the ones you love!
In the fall the leaves turn red and gold; that must mean God is a CHIEFS fan.