Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 76197 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2021, 07:56:37 PM »
MRF is now back to regular operations
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »
We went on Wednesday the 8th for a few hours. Didn't ride anything. Saw the first Globetrotters show of the day, lots of talking at the beginning, show was very audience involved with kids and adults coming up to participate in various segments. Would have liked to see more skills and shots from the Globetrotters but did enjoy this version more than the one we saw the first year the group was at SDC.

Didn't get to see the new Down by the Riverside show since Wednesday is the off day.

Lines were long at the few places open to serve food and drink. Rib House needs some shade for those waiting in line since the wait is really long.  I heard someone say they waited for an hour at Chester's Chips. We did get a frozen lemonade at the stand near the saloon, took about 20 minutes.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2021, 11:47:45 AM »
When I rode MRF a couple of weeks ago, it appeared like most of the boats were full or near full. It still was a long wait though...probably about an hour.

Hmm, that makes me hopeful. Of course, they still don't have as many boats running as they predicted and I don't think that can change unless they modify the channel somehow. I am very curious what their highest put through has been versus what LR's average was. Three hour lines to only maybe actually get on is just ridiculous.

I'm amazed they re-opened it so fast.

Sure hope they find some more employees by fall. I wonder how many have moved away from Branson over the past year? Where can incoming workers actually live now? I think Branson got used to using a certain crowd that lived out of some of the cheaper rentals - some of which have been forced to shut down recently. Now that many of them are gone, there's no one to replace them and no where for new people to come in unless they want to commute from Springfield.

pintrader

« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
SDC and the Branson area have been pretty well spoiled over the years when it comes to summer help.  That's the first place in the summer kids would think of when they were looking for jobs.  Now with all the competition for their services they don't need to commute too far to find a job.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »
I went to the park on Saturday (July 10) and was extremely surprised at the lack of crowd. There was a chance of rain all day with more severe weather after park closing, so maybe that kept people away. It rained for maybe 30 minutes total during the day. I arrived when the park opened at 9:30 and was able to ride the big 6 (WF, PK, TNT, FITH, OR and TT) along with The Giant Swing multiple times each before noon. All rides had two-train operations except Powder Keg (one train). I'll never understand why that ride only runs one train when it has the capability to have three.

The longest line of the day was MRF. We got in line around 2:30 and after 90 minutes or so was able to ride. They were only loading a max of six people per boat, but there were at least 10 boats operating. The ride itself was great, except for the large amount spin we experienced coming off the elevator before plunging down the slide, the spin was super intense.

I've ridden Mystic River Falls three times now and have noticed a couple of issues with the operations of the ride... the load process is extremely slow. When there's a long Trailblazer pass line, like Saturday, it slows the general queue line significantly. I understand people pay for the pass to skip the line, but it really slowed the main line. Also, the boats often get stuck trying to re-enter the station and riders have to bounce and shake the boat to get it to move...there needs to be a solution for this. One last thing, the water cannons at the end of the ride that people can put quarters in to get riders extra wet are great and remind me of LR, but there's one that shot me right in the face when I didn't expect it and it didn't feel great. SO be on the lookout!
Overall, the only time the ride was closed was when it rained or lightning in the area. It doesn't quite make since why the ride closes when it rains with no lightning since it's a water ride, but was happy to not have any maintenance closures. 

It was a great day at the park, especially for a Saturday in July. You can tell the park is hurting for workers, especially in food and beverage area. I was shocked that Buckshot's Skillet was closed all day. But, due to lower crowds, the lines for food were not bad. I highly recommend the Tasting Passport! Well worth it!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2021, 04:56:17 PM »
I’m sure the lower crowds are because the media has potential tourists scared to death about the Delta variant in the area. 

The issue with the boats going back into the station has been there since the start.  That’s why there’s a hose dripping water on to that platform. 

They shut down MRF in the rain because it messes with the sensors in the tower

PK only has 2 trains now.  It will only run 2 when it’s really busy.  There’s a reason. 

SWOOSH

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
You're right about that. I've had several ask me how my trips to the Ozarks has been because of Delta variant.

I've noticed the hose since the start. Two weeks ago the water was spraying on the platform, but noticed Saturday it was not. And it makes sense that rain messes with the sensors.

As for PK, what's the reason? It's a lengthy ride between the transfer, launch, lift and brake run along with a low rider capacity to be running one train. Just my opinion. I did notice the train operating had the number three on the front left side of the first car. It's my favorite ride on park, so for it to be down to two trains now and only running one at a time is a little concerning.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2021, 01:16:49 AM »
While I do not wish to cause this thread to get too political, its worth noting from seeing this map how the Branson, MO area is essentially the epicenter of new COVID cases. It's quite unfortunate. I will be very curious to see if SDC will be forced to go back into doing health and safety restrictions in the park if this continues towards the fall/winter months.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2021, 08:15:15 AM »
Yes, it's amazing how SWMO/NWA is the current epicenter, but maybe not surprising. I don't think it will last through to Old Time Christmas simply because everyone will have had it by then...

I don't think there's any political will to impose more restrictions, but who knows. It could get bad enough that they don't have any options. They are already sending MO patients to Tulsa. I'm sure the park is scared to do anything themselves because their customer base is already pissed about last year/early this year, and it's become so political now that customers will openly revolt.

I think for the next couple of months attendance will be lighter while this is going on, but that's kind of expected at this point in the year anyway. Hopefully the wave passes by October.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:44 PM »
There’s a rumor going sound that something happened at Outlaw Run yesterday.  The entire area is roped off and there are water dummies on the trains.  SDCfans won’t speculate on the situation until confirmation by a trusted news outlet.  Just be aware that OR will not be open for the first weekend of Moonlight
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
There’s a rumor going sound that something happened at Outlaw Run yesterday.  The entire area is roped off and there are water dummies on the trains.  SDCfans won’t speculate on the situation until confirmation by a trusted news outlet.  Just be aware that OR will not be open for the first weekend of Moonlight

Things do not look hopeful for the person involved, and our prayers are extended for the family, as well as for other riders, ride operators, and Silver Dollar City.  Without discussing the particulars of the matter, we can empathize with all involved or in the general vicinity.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2021, 03:11:54 PM »
I know some details about what happened, but out of respect of the family all I will say is that nothing happened to the ride itself. Yesterday was not a good day at the park, with wildfire, Mystic River, and Outlaw being down all day. I had to experience a lot of unhappy guests.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
It's good to remember that not every emergency that happens at a park is directly related to the rides or park itself. Inevitably when you have thousands of guests each and every day, things happen. Hope anyone involved is doing OK.

That sounds like a rough day. I imagine the Time Traveler line was at least a couple hours long if the park was crowded, but at least it's indoors! Strange that Wildfire would be down all day. I feel like in some ways, 2021 has been rougher on the parks than 2020. Obviously they are glad to have the crowds back, but most parks aren't ready for them due to staffing and such. A lot of other parks are having similar issues with not enough maintenance staff to keep things running smoothly.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2021, 09:53:24 PM »
Wow Wildfire isn't having a good year between whatever happened recently and the issue that happened earlier this year that kept it down for awhile. Not a good omen considering its the coaster's 20th anniversary at the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »
Wow Wildfire isn't having a good year between whatever happened recently and the issue that happened earlier this year that kept it down for awhile. Not a good omen considering its the coaster's 20th anniversary at the park.

It’s electrical related.  This past winter was hard on it
SWOOSH