Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 76177 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »
Robs the desire to work? really? If you could make more money working less hours would you not take it? I am not justifying the "free" money as you put it, but be realistic. If I could make the equivalent of $8 and hour more per hour for not working than I'd make working, I'd take it and you would too. It is a financial decision that they are making and I'd do the same. If they shunned the subsidy and go back to work at minimum wage, that would be stupid financially...

We who make decent money and were "essential" and worked through it all did get "screwed" by the subsidy program and all, but people making less than $15 an hour are better off on unemployment and the subsidy than they are working. And you can't fault them for doing what is best for their financial state...

Missouri unemployment is some of the worst in the country where anyone who makes over $15k is near destroyed financially on unemployment with the max payout of $320 a week... My company 2 years ago closed a division and I went from making over $100k a year to making essentially $1200 a month.

I think ultimately that you are correct in that most of the employees used to be older and retired. Perhaps they are concerned for their health and that is why they are not working and HFE are hurting for labour. Or perhaps they cost HFE too much money since they've been there so long and they are looking for those minimum wage employees... Hard to fault people for doing what is best for their family from a monetary standpoint though...

Jemmicat, I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. I will add also as a retiree  with the robust rise in the stock market and investments the last year more retirees are not needing to supplement their retirement income. No way would i work in the heat and humidity dressed in a full length dress or hot long sleeve shirt and jeans while I could lounge by the pool and drink margaritas while my investments provide my living.  Companies are going to need to get creative to retain and keep employees. This is not you fathers or grandfathers job market. There are choices out there for people.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:24:21 PM by runner1960 »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2021, 07:48:44 AM »
Robs the desire to work? really? If you could make more money working less hours would you not take it? I am not justifying the "free" money as you put it, but be realistic. If I could make the equivalent of $8 and hour more per hour for not working than I'd make working, I'd take it and you would too. It is a financial decision that they are making and I'd do the same. If they shunned the subsidy and go back to work at minimum wage, that would be stupid financially...

We who make decent money and were "essential" and worked through it all did get "screwed" by the subsidy program and all, but people making less than $15 an hour are better off on unemployment and the subsidy than they are working. And you can't fault them for doing what is best for their financial state...

Missouri unemployment is some of the worst in the country where anyone who makes over $15k is near destroyed financially on unemployment with the max payout of $320 a week... My company 2 years ago closed a division and I went from making over $100k a year to making essentially $1200 a month.

I think ultimately that you are correct in that most of the employees used to be older and retired. Perhaps they are concerned for their health and that is why they are not working and HFE are hurting for labour. Or perhaps they cost HFE too much money since they've been there so long and they are looking for those minimum wage employees... Hard to fault people for doing what is best for their family from a monetary standpoint though...

Without going into I I council people with financial issues.   You are supporting a short term fix with long term detrimental ramifications to both the recipient and the country itself.  Including those that want to shop at wal-mart and cant buy what they wish because of unstocked shelves, those that wish to eat out but the restaurant is closed and SDC slushy stand that is unmanned because we are not realizing that the gravy train will run out and we can see the end of the line from here.  I am not suggesting that parts of 6 get minimum wage jobs I am suggesting that the drive to participate in the system ( that starts with a lower wage job) has suffered greatly.   Our system is in real trouble.  SDC was not paying the Seniors a high wage because of tenure they are notoriously low pay positions. I have seen many of the paystubs.  I suspect the older folks enjoyed the jobs and the interaction.  The friendliness of working with the public has taken a real hit in the past few years.  Working for a corporation and not a family also changes the work dynamic.  I have worked for both and the allegiance is just not there to a board of directors.  Just my thoughts

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:19 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you are saying at all. The system is in trouble. And yes it is a short term fix... but for those people, making a decent wage for 6 months or a year is maybe more than they will ever make so they really have to take it. The problem is, you get used to that income and when it goes away, you don't have a plan for surviving on less. Totally agree with almost everything you said...

pintrader

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »
They must really be having their problems with staffing.  We went today and the eating places were....well....unbelievable really.

The Dockside Grill line was back to the toy store.  The new Rivertown Smokehouse line was back to where people are seated to eat.  Crossroads Pizza line was back to the Wild West Racers.  Cokes & Floats right next to Crossroads was backed up with a line under the train trestle.  The Lumbercamp was backed up to The Fry Bread Co.  The Lumbercamp Falls Skillet was backed up to the Tintype store and Flossie's Fried Fancies was backed up thru that line.  A couple we talked to said they could not find a place to eat and were leaving to eat and then coming back.

What was really strange was these lines were at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.  Definitely not normal stuff for that time and this time of the year.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
^ Were all the restaurants/food stands open (besides Percy's that I think is only open on Saturdays) ? 
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »
^ I don't remember seeing any main restaurants closed except as you say Percy's.  Now there were several small stands that were.  The Fry Bread Co. by the Saloon, a couple of Dippin Dots stands, Coca Cola stand by Boatworks theatre, Cakes & Cones across from Red Gold and lemonade stand across from Kettle Corn all were closed.

I am sure there were probably more but that is what I noticed.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2021, 02:18:14 PM »
^ Those places being closed can add up to some really long lines.  We were there Friday June 4th and all the places you mentioned were closed then also.  I, like you, was surprised to see food lines so backed up mid-afternoon but i did go to eat supper at the Riverside Smokehouse at 4 to avoid the later crowds and I was the only one in line.  Got lucky I guess.  Maybe SDC needs to look at a order ahead and pick up later option for the restaurants. They could put that on the app.
I'm Your Huckleberry

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2021, 02:20:48 PM »
I don't think this would completely solve the problem but I really like it....

^ Those places being closed can add up to some really long lines.  We were there Friday June 4th and all the places you mentioned were closed then also.  I, like you, was surprised to see food lines so backed up mid-afternoon but i did go to eat supper at the Riverside Smokehouse at 4 to avoid the later crowds and I was the only one in line.  Got lucky I guess.  Maybe SDC needs to look at a order ahead and pick up later option for the restaurants. They could put that on the app.

pintrader

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »
Those places being closed can add up to some really long lines.

Yes it does make a bigger difference than a person would think.  It also adds up when the places that are open seem to be short handed also which slows them down.  The Kettle Corn stand when busy usually has 2 cashiers but yesterday only had one and customers about 40 deep.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »
We were at Dollywood last week and experienced the same thing.  Crazy long lines at all the restaurants. Two of our favorites were closed--Granny Ogles and Miss Lillian's Smokehouse. That was disappointing. However, it appeared they might have help on the way. There were a lot of international students who appeared to be in training. Several times you would see one or two people operating a ride with three new employees following them around watching. But, as has been mentioned, several smaller stands were closed. On Wednesday last week the posted wait time for Lightning Rod got up to 130 minutes. Sometimes it felt like we had to wait in line just to wait in line!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2021, 10:25:00 AM »
Back in the days of Celebration City, HFEC relied heavily on international students to fill in roles. Those types of VISAs seemed to get harder to get, but I assume they are being made easier now. We sure need them again!

It sucks for the park that now they have the crowds back but are missing out on sales due to low staff.

pintrader

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
I would think SDC is looking at attendance and if that doesn't drop they are okay.  I mean they got them in the park and they have to eat sometime, so why should they care if you stand in line forever.

I also wonder if they have raised wages to get more employees in or figure they can just wait it out and they will fill the void gradually.  With extended unemployment benefits ended there should be more people looking for work, but on the other hand there is a lot of competition to get them.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2021, 12:22:57 PM »
I would think SDC is looking at attendance and if that doesn't drop they are okay.  I mean they got them in the park and they have to eat sometime, so why should they care if you stand in line forever.

SDC at least should care about the long lines in order to get people to come back to the park.  Sure, there are diehards like most of us on this forum that will go every year even if we have to figure out ways to avoid the longer lines to eat but newbies or those that haven't been to the park in a while may think twice about going again if they have trouble getting food.  Especially those with younger children that are getting very cranky because they are hungry.  We've been there and that does not make a "memory worth repeating".  They can advertise and offer discounts and everything else to get people in the park but a bad experience will get spread by word of mouth and that can be a killer.
I'm Your Huckleberry

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2021, 01:41:29 PM »
We were at Dollywood last week and experienced the same thing.  Crazy long lines at all the restaurants. Two of our favorites were closed--Granny Ogles and Miss Lillian's Smokehouse. That was disappointing. However, it appeared they might have help on the way. There were a lot of international students who appeared to be in training. Several times you would see one or two people operating a ride with three new employees following them around watching. But, as has been mentioned, several smaller stands were closed. On Wednesday last week the posted wait time for Lightning Rod got up to 130 minutes. Sometimes it felt like we had to wait in line just to wait in line!

I just got back from out west. Estes Park, Jackson, WY, Yellowstone, Cody, ETC ETC Etc. Everywhere we went out there the shops and restaurants were staffed with Eastern European young people. Service was so so but you could tell they were on a learning curve. The only exception was Yellowstone where most of the staff was still retired people who move into the park for the summer.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »
I was thinking about trying to go to the park soon, but if lines are still that long I'm not sure if it's worth it. Are the lines for food the biggest issue, or are ride lines still huge as well?