Author Topic: First time and weight  (Read 3665 times)

pieman16

• View Profile
First time and weight
« on: March 04, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
Hey everyone. I’m kinda new here.
My dad lives near Branson and I am coming up to visit him next month. Well one thing we want to do is go to silver dollar city. He’s been before but I have never been. I’ve been to six flags (don’t really care for those parks), Disney parks and universal parks. My fav is still the Disney parks. But I wanna try silver dollar city.
So first question with my dad almost being 70 he has his good and bad days. Health wise. Is this park on a reservation system. Meaning you have to reserve the day you want to come? I was looking at around April 10 or 11 of this year.
Second I am a big guy 6’1” around 350lbs. I know the park isn’t flat. That’s never bothered me. What am I going to be able ride if anything? I know at Disney I can ride anything but since I’ve never been to silver dollar city I don’t know what to expect.
Thanks again.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: First time and weight
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »
Hey pieman and welcome.

I don't believe the park is doing reservations this year, and if they are, it probably won't be applicable in April since those are usually low volume times.

As for rides, it's hit and miss. Outlaw run is not plus size friendly, and neither is Time Traveler if I recall. Wildfire has seats with seatbelt extenders if needed, and Thunderation is usually something that people can squeeze into. Powderkeg may be a challenge. All coasters have test seats in front so you can find out if you will fit before getting in line.

I think Fire in the hole, the train, and the flooded mine have zero restrictions though, and if it's warm enough, the water rides!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:13:29 PM »
Hey pieman and welcome.

I don't believe the park is doing reservations this year, and if they are, it probably won't be applicable in April since those are usually low volume times.

As for rides, it's hit and miss. Outlaw run is not plus size friendly, and neither is Time Traveler if I recall. Wildfire has seats with seatbelt extenders if needed, and Thunderation is usually something that people can squeeze into. Powderkeg may be a challenge. All coasters have test seats in front so you can find out if you will fit before getting in line.

I think Fire in the hole, the train, and the flooded mine have zero restrictions though, and if it's warm enough, the water rides!

I have seen large people denied on FitH, but only after the operators did everything they could to get the bar to latch.  The same is true on OR, the Giant Swing, the Happy Frogs, and the insect ride (not that you'll be interested in the latter two).  Really though, you may be more interested in the ambiance and general theming.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

pieman16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 12:25:51 AM »
Thank you 2. Ya I am not a huge coaster fan. That fear of heights kinda kicks in. But should still be fun. Thanks again.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 05:27:26 AM »
A lot of it is how you are proportioned. I am 5'8" and 210 (And female) and fairly muscular but most of my excess weight is centered on my stomach. So while I fit on OR, it didn't feel like there was much left on the latch. At same heigh and 280 (before I lost some weight), I did not fit on Time Traveler. They couldn't close it due to my chest. got close but no cigar.

It is not just about weight but how you carry the weight as if you can "fit". Just a heads up... check the seats outside the ride and you'll get the best idea of whether you can ride

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
I’m similar height and weight. The train and flooded mine are good to ride. On flooded mine just be aware it’s a real boat and you do need to balance weight in it(I sit closer to the center than the outside). Tom and Hicks river blast is also not a problem, it’s a water ride and you can get pretty wet. I don’t really ride the coasters, so that’s about all I ride other than some of the kiddie rides with my kids. I haven’t tried mystic river falls yet but it should be okay.

There is a main hill that can be rough for people walking up/down it but there are paths you can take to go arround it that aren’t as steep. I don’t have problems on it but I know some people do.

pieman16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks again everyone.

Spi11edMi1k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:20:12 AM »
So I last visited SDC in June of 2019...I was 6'4 280 at the time and I was able to ride everything and was never close to not fitting on everything. Flash forward to yesterday and my first ride choice was Outlaw Run...the seat belt was probably 6-8 inches from closing, I weigh the same as 2 years ago, if anything my clothes are a little looser. After taking the walk of shame I stood on the catwalk over the train departure area and watched about 6 loadings...5 people couldn't get the seat belt to close. One guy got off after the ride and commented his belt was super tight and said he wore a size 32 pants.

Now I don't even remember if they had seat belts in June of 19 but if they did they obviously tightened/restricted them a lot.

Can anyone familiar confirm?

BTW...was able to ride everything else no problem, including time traveler.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
They do squeeze us into those seats.  I have to remember to press forward when they tighten things so I'll be able to breathe.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 06:42:29 PM »
The belts have gotten increasingly tighter over time and I don't know why. Maybe each time they replace them the next person makes them smaller to be more "safe". The ride was designed for and opened with no seat belts.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 07:26:31 PM »
The belts have gotten increasingly tighter over time and I don't know why. Maybe each time they replace them the next person makes them smaller to be more "safe". The ride was designed for and opened with no seat belts.

I am suspecting this too. I used to be able to easily fit in all the coasters and now the only one I cant is Outlaw. Never had to take a walk of shame in my life till last year and my weight has remained steady over the years.