Author Topic: Actual HISTORY and Silver Dollar City  (Read 8824 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Actual HISTORY and Silver Dollar City
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 02:33:15 PM »
Yes, it was definitely a "pay" show if I remember correctly. It was an added charge for the evening show
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:13:41 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Actual HISTORY at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 01:49:17 AM »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Actual HISTORY at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »
Part 2, History Mythbusting:  https://hoggatteer.weebly.com/homeroom/history-mythbusting-ii

Excellent.

History must be factual, not a course in apologetics favoring one side or the other.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 09:41:23 PM »

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
While I agree broadly, HB, I still believe in the necessity of specific places and dates.  The relationship among the ideas and events is absolutely crucial, but being able to pin them down specifically prevents both misunderstanding and fuzzy thinking.  It is helpful to know not only that an event preceded another but by how much and in what context.  Vagueness in these relationships allows for over-generalization, which is probably the greatest obstacle facing people today, even so-called educated ones.  It leads to the progression fallacy, the idea that somehow humanity has progressed and improved over the course of history, which any historian can easily see is tommyrot.

I also hesitate to push for children making their own decisions.  Should we let them decide, for example, whether or not to play in traffic?  Whether or not to drink poison or engine oil?    Even when shown the hazards of both, some will choose to do so.  We are trying to equip them to make good choices, and some of that equipment comes from allowing them to make some bad ones, but they simply aren't equipped to make them without restraints upon them.  (Alas! the same is all too true of many, many adults!)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »
While I agree broadly, HB, I still believe in the necessity of specific places and dates.  The relationship among the ideas and events is absolutely crucial, but being able to pin them down specifically prevents both misunderstanding and fuzzy thinking.  It is helpful to know not only that an event preceded another but by how much and in what context.  Vagueness in these relationships allows for over-generalization, which is probably the greatest obstacle facing people today, even so-called educated ones.  It leads to the progression fallacy, the idea that somehow humanity has progressed and improved over the course of history, which any historian can easily see is tommyrot.

I also hesitate to push for children making their own decisions.  Should we let them decide, for example, whether or not to play in traffic?  Whether or not to drink poison or engine oil?    Even when shown the hazards of both, some will choose to do so.  We are trying to equip them to make good choices, and some of that equipment comes from allowing them to make some bad ones, but they simply aren't equipped to make them without restraints upon them.  (Alas! the same is all too true of many, many adults!)

I wish we were in the same room so we could talk.  Thank you for reading what I wrote there.

I think we agree about context and timeline.  I just know that the important, significant names and dates get lost in the old-school rote names-and-dates tests.  Getting a good handle on the major things and being about to put other things into context is more important (and, of course, being able to apply the context when things come up).

As to making their own choices, I think I mentioned explicitly teaching decision-making skills.  This all comes with guidance.  I only have them for nine months in my classroom, and I have to think I'm teaching them to make better decisions moving forward.  I also hope their future teachers will continue to develop those skills.  It would be scary to let some of these kids go wild on their own, but after they've been with me for a year, I'd better see some progress in their skills!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
HB is educating while the system focuses on schooling. They are not the same thing, at all.

I really appreciate your approach, HB. Your students are better off for it, than they would be memorizing dates and places without context just to pass a simplified multiple choice test.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
HB is educating while the system focuses on schooling. They are not the same thing, at all.

I really appreciate your approach, HB. Your students are better off for it, than they would be memorizing dates and places without context just to pass a simplified multiple choice test.

Trying to at least.  After 30 years, I might get a handle on it.  I don't think I've gotten there quite yet, but the last decade has been pretty good.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 10:38:01 PM »
^ Well HB if SDC won't hire you as an official historian maybe they can at least find you a job in their schoolhouse!
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 12:51:09 AM »
^ Well HB if SDC won't hire you as an official historian maybe they can at least find you a job in their schoolhouse!

That could work, too.

Part 4, History Mythbusting doesn't really pertain to our topic, but as long as we're talking history and education:  https://hoggatteer.weebly.com/homeroom/history-mythbusting-iv

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
A clean sweep this week, HB:  game, set, and match to you!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
A clean sweep this week, HB:  game, set, and match to you!

8)