Author Topic: Branson Strip 2020  (Read 16050 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Strip 2020
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
We were in town over the 4th weekend.  A quick unplanned trip. Did not go to SDC because my GF is having hip replacement surgery next week and she did not think she could navigate all the walking. As for Branson welllll.

The strip is just getting downright ugly. Multiple chain fences , Multiple abandoned hotel/cheap motels that look like  drug centers. Newer attractions are trying to up the ante but when you plop a huge new building in the ghetto it looks just like that. A building in the ghetto. Wonderworks is another giant Albatross that looks so out of place.

Why can this city not get its act together on planning and zoning? All, and I mean all the theatres looked shabby and thrown together and unkept. Even those that are supposedly doing well.
Whatever that is that is in the old Starlight theatre has nothing that says what is inside. Just a bunch of huge letters trying to wow you about something.

It is so sad to see how this town has regressed.

As for the good. Danas was excellent as always.  Tried Botanas mexican for the first time and had excellent food, service and Margaritas. We will go back for sure. Center Stage restaurant was the best of all the food. A excellent choice for dinner.

Rode the Mountain coaster on 165 for the first time and had a great impression of that.
Also, went to SOTH play on the night of the 4th. They had a decent crowd probably 50% of capacity and did very well at social distancing people. I am not a show person but my GF had never seen it and wanted to. It was a great thing to do on a beautiful cool evening. Speaking of SOTH , It is great to see the owners throwing a lot of money to make it relevant in the current age. A new Zipline course, restaurant, and the rope courses they added earlier. They are also adding a small gauge train to tour the homestead in. It looked almost complete. It should be a nice addition.

Good and Bad but it still was a good weekend.

It’s like you visited a completely different Strip than what is actually there.  It’s actually looking better than it has in a long time.  Wonderworks is a great new building on the strip.  Albatross? No.  That’s what is called a weenie.  It draws you further down the strip. 

As far as chain link fences, sure let’s go there.  There is a revitalization project across from Dixie Stampede where an old motel was.  There’s fences where the new Boardwalk is going in next to the Grand Shoppes.  RibCrib closed.  That new attraction in the Starlight Theatre is called Beyond the Lens! (It’s a pop culture and selfie attraction).  The theaters look fine too.

You must only be looking at night when all the junkiness is hidden. Lots more fences and empty grown up lots than you referenced.  The traveling carnival park that failed, The complete empty grown up lots across from Presleys, and down from Ruby Tuesdays, Several small vacant lots just growing weeds. Numerous old Tshirt trinket shops shuttered and weeds growing. Several abandoned restaurants , One that has drug in some old race cars for whatever reason ? Numerous shuttered motels with green algae filled swimming pools.

And as for those 2 new attractions Wonder works and Through The Lens we got a good laugh every time we passed them. But they are a typical Branson Klitch attraction. I will give it that.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »
Ok.  I guess I missed some.  I honestly don’t count anything East of the old Engler’s Block but whatever.  It’s not like that section has ever been anything to write home about
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 08:54:12 PM »
I had just posted a while back about all of the motels that are closed or for sale, empty lots etc so I get what you are saying.  As far as Gettin' Basted, I am done with them.  That place is WAY overpriced, they do not give you much food, and I am not really that impressed.  I discovered Big D's on SOTH and it is WAY better.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 07:33:59 AM »
As far as Gettin' Basted, I am done with them.  That place is WAY overpriced, they do not give you much food, and I am not really that impressed. 

WOW! I am surprised,   Sorry to hear that.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago,
wife had her favorite "Moink" burger with pork rinds couldnt finish it as usual.
I had the Rib Platter "Naked" (no sauce).   Big ribs, big order of fries,
we both had leftovers..LOL...  of course we started with their nachos and 4 of us split that!!!
Good service,  cold drinks.

Big Portions, Good taste, didnt notice any price increase, But I always have 3 or 4 Coronas with mine.

I will be back, have loved that place and food since the Starlite..

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
We at there once when they were at Starlite and it was great.  Ate once at their new place right after they moved and ti was great.  About a year 2 ago ate in there and noticed they got rid of multiple meat combos.  You had to order whatever you wanted then can add a 1/2 lb, lb, or whatever of the 2nd or 3rd meat.  I cant remember what I ordered exactly but the price came up to right at $20 for 2 meats and that included 2 slices of brisket.  Completely unacceptable for a BBQ place.  Maybe they have gotten better again lately.  The first 2 times we ate there they had combo plates for a normal price you would expect at a bbq place.  At Big D you can get a 3 meat plate for around $16 I believe and it is a ton of food.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »
You had to order whatever you wanted then can add a 1/2 lb, lb, or whatever of the 2nd or 3rd meat.  I cant remember what I ordered exactly but the price came up to right at $20 for 2 meats and that included 2 slices of brisket.  Completely unacceptable for a BBQ place.

Have you seen the prices at the new BBQ place at SDC?  I almost choked.  I understand parks have to charge more but how much more?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
You had to order whatever you wanted then can add a 1/2 lb, lb, or whatever of the 2nd or 3rd meat.  I cant remember what I ordered exactly but the price came up to right at $20 for 2 meats and that included 2 slices of brisket.  Completely unacceptable for a BBQ place.

Have you seen the prices at the new BBQ place at SDC?  I almost choked.  I understand parks have to charge more but how much more?

They’re in line with what the 2 meat plate was at Ribhouse. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 02:44:37 PM »

I do not remember the prices from the Ribhouse.  At the new incarnation the  2 meat was $20.00 Not inclucing beverage and very small sides.  I understand they have to charge a higher price but its getting out there.  Cinnamon Bread was $4.50 not so long ago now 8.00 and up for the new shop.   Thats a high dollar for a family to eat at the park.    They must however be sucessful in sales if they can keep increasing that much.  People must be impressed with what they are getting for the money. I myself go into Branson to eat.  I feel like the gap between quality of product and money spent is getting greater each year.  SDC used to do food better.  I however suspect that many really feel like they get there moneys worth.  Best $ on park in the $12 breakfast 20%? off with the pass.  That is a good deal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:47:17 PM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »
  Best $ on park in the $12 breakfast 20%? off with the pass.  That is a good deal.

Are they still doing this.  is it Buffet now? or they fill you plate for you?

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
  Best $ on park in the $12 breakfast 20%? off with the pass.  That is a good deal.

Are they still doing this.  is it Buffet now? or they fill you plate for you?

Yes. It is served family style instead of buffet. You can ask for more and they bring it to your table.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:57 PM »

I do not remember the prices from the Ribhouse.  At the new incarnation the  2 meat was $20.00 Not inclucing beverage and very small sides.  I understand they have to charge a higher price but its getting out there.  Cinnamon Bread was $4.50 not so long ago now 8.00 and up for the new shop.   Thats a high dollar for a family to eat at the park.    They must however be sucessful in sales if they can keep increasing that much.  People must be impressed with what they are getting for the money. I myself go into Branson to eat.  I feel like the gap between quality of product and money spent is getting greater each year.  SDC used to do food better.  I however suspect that many really feel like they get there moneys worth.  Best $ on park in the $12 breakfast 20%? off with the pass.  That is a good deal.

I just checked my receipts.  It was $19.25 for 2 meats 2 sides AND a refill. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 07:29:03 AM »
I just checked my receipts.  It was $19.25 for 2 meats 2 sides AND a refill.

I sure did remember 19.99 or 20.00 but maybe I am mistaken  Did you get a discount?  You prepaid for a refill?
Maybe it is 20.00 for lunch or dinner with a drink.  For my pocketbook  thats a steep price for what you are getting.  Value is a personal perception.  What may seem steep to me may be just right to you.  It will all flush itself out in the end.  I still think eating a late breakfast is the best value in the park. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:47:10 PM by mhguy77 »

Graybeard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
A two meat two side BBQ plate with drink would be about $15 at our local establishments so $20 in a theme park does not seem out of line.  That said we have typically loaded up on breakfest and avoided other full meal options in the park and had a nice meal out of the park for dinner.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
For comparison only I checked 3 places in Branson....

Mr D's.. no mention of sides or drink..?
          "Big D's 2 Meat SAMPLER Platter   18
            2 meats of your choice:  Pork, Texas Style Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Smoked Sausage, Ribs.  Burnt Ends
            Available for an additional $2.....""

Gettin' Basted.. 1 meat, 2 sides and Texas toast..

"PLATES SERVED W/ CHOICE OF 2 SIDES & TEXAS TOAST.
SMOKED BRISKET 1/2lb PLATE - 20

Danna's.......
    "ComboPlate...$23.99
Choice of two meats. Served with beans, coleslaw, french fries & a Memphis roll."""""

I like Gett's Basted...  Okie Likes Big D's.,   alot of people Like Danna's.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
Big D is a little more expensive that what you can get around here.  Gettin Basted is just way too expensive IMO.  Have not had Dannas but $24 is also way too expensive for a 2 meat.  I figure it will be more expensive in a tourist area like Branson that here though.

As for SDC food, If they give you a good quantity of food for that $20 it might not be too bad of a deal for a theme park.  We very rarely eat at the park anymore, just too expensive.  It was not that long ago the buffets were $12.99 which I thought was reasonable.  Most of the gen pop will pay whatever prices they ask because it is a captive audience and they don't want to try and go to town them come back.  We are there often enough when we get hungry we leave for the day because usually by then we are done anyway.