Author Topic: Internet Article on Theme Parks  (Read 4336 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Internet Article on Theme Parks
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
I saw this article on the Internet yesterday about things that you will probably never see again at theme parks: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/7-things-youll-never-see-in-theme-parks-ever-again/ss-BB14tsTF

One thing that caught my eye was no more food buffets.  That sounds right and being as how one of our favorite places to eat in the City is the breakfast buffet at the Mill (with our favorite waitress Ms. Debbie) so I was wondering how they could still provide this service.  Our thoughts were putting up a shield with slots between the front side and the kitchen side of the buffet with the servers filling your plate with what you requested.  Any other ideas how they could accomplish this?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Article on Theme Parks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:56 PM »
So basically according to that article there is no way theme parks can be in business anymore.  It is amazing at the amount of overreaction to this deal.

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:50:04 AM »
They can just serve it cafeteria style 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »
So basically according to that article there is no way theme parks can be in business anymore.  It is amazing at the amount of overreaction to this deal.

Okie it is amazing.. 
I have been to doctor twice for whiplash!!!,,,,,
Attributed to me shaking my head so hard from watching and listening to all of it..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
This will be a fun one to look back on in a year. I am taking this virus more seriously than most around here, but even I realize that this will be a temporary issue. No more crowds/lines/buffets? Have you seen the stuff that is already opened back up and gotten crowded again? Maybe if the virus had been a little worse. I'm not sure where the general public would draw the line at this point for future health scares. If anything this will make people fear new virus outbreaks even less.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »
This will be a fun one to look back on in a year. I am taking this virus more seriously than most around here, but even I realize that this will be a temporary issue. No more crowds/lines/buffets? Have you seen the stuff that is already opened back up and gotten crowded again? Maybe if the virus had been a little worse. I'm not sure where the general public would draw the line at this point for future health scares. If anything this will make people fear new virus outbreaks even less.

I would say Memorial Day Weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks and in Gatlinburg shows you just how much people are “afraid” of this pandemic.... as in not at all.  Open the places back up, we had our laughs and now it’s time to move on. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »
For the first time, the CDC has attempted to offer a real estimate of the overall death rate for COVID-19 last week, and under its most likely scenario, the number is 0.26%. Officials estimate a 0.4% fatality rate among those who are symptomatic and project a 35% rate of asymptomatic cases among those infected, which drops the overall infection fatality rate (IFR) to just 0.26% — almost exactly where Stanford researchers pegged it a month ago.

Subtract nursing/asst. living/rehab homes and it goes down to .1%

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:05:28 PM »
Yep, I have not even thought even thought about that yet.  If there is ever a real threat next time people will not believe it or take it serious.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
Yep, I have not even thought even thought about that yet.  If there is ever a real threat next time people will not believe it or take it serious.

Something about "crying wolf" too many times... ??    :-\ :-\

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »

Wr had lunch catered the other day. It was a buffet. The caterer went around and handed out masks to put on before getting in a well spaces line and there was required hand sanitizer at the beginning. They set up  table with only 4 chairs, two in the ends and two in the middle along the side. Worked like a charm.

I was always impressed with my Disney cruises,  they always handed out hand sanitizer wipes at the restaurants and the buffet at the door.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
For the first time, the CDC has attempted to offer a real estimate of the overall death rate for COVID-19 last week, and under its most likely scenario, the number is 0.26%. Officials estimate a 0.4% fatality rate among those who are symptomatic and project a 35% rate of asymptomatic cases among those infected, which drops the overall infection fatality rate (IFR) to just 0.26% — almost exactly where Stanford researchers pegged it a month ago.

For those paying attention, death isn't really the issue. It's the long lasting damage/pnemonia/lung capacity issues that really scare me. Even young healthy people can be knocked on their asses for months. That is true of any virus, but this one is worse than most we typically encounter. https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/how-coronavirus-affected-a-healthy-young-runner-83594821841?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

It's really hard to change behaviors without a strong motivation staring you in the face. This virus is invisible to most people. Those who have actually had to deal with it may change behaviors for a long time, but most people are going to ignore it until it hits them personally. I think the only lasting change will be people paying attention to those coughing in public, touching hand rails, etc. That is a good thing. Maybe we'll get a better handle on the flu and other common viruses that we have been too lax with for too long.

The hard part is that most of these behavior changes don't do a lot of good. Masks can be helpful, but they are obviously only partially effective and only really help for short term contact with other people. Handwashing is good, but you can go right back out and touch something and get infected immediately after. So on and so forth... The only really useful long-term change that I see for most people is vitamin D supplementation and better diet/exercise in general, but who are we kidding...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »

For those paying attention, death isn't really the issue. It's the long lasting damage/pnemonia/lung capacity issues that really scare me. Even young healthy people can be knocked on their asses for months. That is true of any virus, but this one is worse than most we typically encounter. https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/how-coronavirus-affected-a-healthy-young-runner-83594821841?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

It's really hard to change behaviors without a strong motivation staring you in the face. This virus is invisible to most people. Those who have actually had to deal with it may change behaviors for a long time, but most people are going to ignore it until it hits them personally. I think the only lasting change will be people paying attention to those coughing in public, touching hand rails, etc. That is a good thing. Maybe we'll get a better handle on the flu and other common viruses that we have been too lax with for too long.

The hard part is that most of these behavior changes don't do a lot of good. Masks can be helpful, but they are obviously only partially effective and only really help for short term contact with other people. Handwashing is good, but you can go right back out and touch something and get infected immediately after. So on and so forth... The only really useful long-term change that I see for most people is vitamin D supplementation and better diet/exercise in general, but who are we kidding...

that just tells me that the percautions that were taken worked ! How many people would have died if we had not taken them.