Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71753 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »
The Branson aldermen had a meeting yesterday to debate a mask requirement. It was on YouTube and went over 7 hours -- vote postponed for 2 weeks. During the meeting someone said that SDC average attendance was 3000 per day.

If that is the case, how can SDC make enough money to stay open?

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2020, 07:35:31 AM »
I have wondered what their attendance has been and also how many it takes to break even and justify being open.

However, SDC is choosing to follow CDC guidelines outside of what Branson requires.

The Branson aldermen had a meeting yesterday to debate a mask requirement. It was on YouTube and went over 7 hours -- vote postponed for 2 weeks. During the meeting someone said that SDC average attendance was 3000 per day.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
I have wondered what their attendance has been and also how many it takes to break even and justify being open.

However, SDC is choosing to follow CDC guidelines outside of what Branson requires.

whatever actions SDC does, it is their choice. 
SDC is not in Branson city limits, so whatever Branson decides to do( IF they can decide to do anything), SDC may or may not follow..

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »
whatever actions SDC does, it is their choice. 
SDC is not in Branson city limits, so whatever Branson decides to do( IF they can decide to do anything), SDC may or may not follow..

While everyone refers to SDC as "in Branson", it's not only not in Branson, it's not even in the same county.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »
Branson is in Taney and SDC is in Stone
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »

I purchased a seasons pass and would enjoy going for a few hours but have not wanted to activate the pass.  Not to be absolutly negative but I never enjoyed Spring Ride Days becasuse of the lack of anything other than rides.  When watching online videos or read trip reports it seems as if that is what I would find.  Shows are at bare minimum shops booths ext.  It takes a certain customer count to make it seem "happening". and they are no where near that.  If available would consider puchasing a $30 Thursday pass but it doesnt seem like they are doing those this year.  Rock and a hard place,  they need support but if I activate the pass I would not return until things start resembeling normal. It seems a better choice for me to let the pass expire and use it next year.   I wonder how many of " Me " there are out there....

pintrader

« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
I guess I am one of those "me" characters out there also  :)   I am really leaning on just letting it rollover to next year.  For me it's not the attendance count that makes it feel "happening" like you say.  For me it's the whole new guidelines and rules that need to be followed.  I know they need to be in effect but for me it just puts a cover on the experience and just wouldn't be the same.

Yes, I do think SDC is going to take a big hit this year like a lot of businesses, and I really hate to see that.  It really had the makings of a really good year for them.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
I'm in the same category. I was scheduled to go down for the 5th and 6th this month, but cancelled. I think I'm just going to hold out until next season and see how things go. Given how things are going at the moment, early next season may be a wash too...

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »

When we were at the City a few days ago I was talking to a shopkeeper at Cowboy Jepp's about the low attendance for that day.  We agreed that summer is not SDC's busiest time even in years before Covid-19.  The bigger crowds happen during fall and winter so I'm thinking the crowds will come in then.  Right now the announcement is no reservations required until Labor Day so I bet once Pumpkin Nights start, at the very least, reservations will be required for weekends.
I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »
When we were at the City a few days ago I was talking to a shopkeeper at Cowboy Jepp's about the low attendance for that day.  We agreed that summer is not SDC's busiest time even in years before Covid-19.  The bigger crowds happen during fall and winter so I'm thinking the crowds will come in then.  Right now the announcement is no reservations required until Labor Day so I bet once Pumpkin Nights start, at the very least, reservations will be required for weekends.

I agree with this statement.  In the past the Ride Nights were pretty well attended and PN was as huge success  but with social distancing will they have the street party or the new area?  That is not my bag but even in the new Mail flyer I noted there is no mention at all of any shows for Christmas.  Certainly because its early and things are not moving in the direction of opening, difficult to advertise when its up in the air.  That being the case I doubt the shows will return and that is a huge part of Christmas. It could be argued its 50% of the experience.  Not only have they dropped IAWL but the main show will probably be down for inability to " safely" gather people inside and sing.  I detest these joy robbing changes, it leaves little but the lights and the rides.   

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »

I purchased a seasons pass and would enjoy going for a few hours but have not wanted to activate the pass.  Not to be absolutly negative but I never enjoyed Spring Ride Days becasuse of the lack of anything other than rides.  When watching online videos or read trip reports it seems as if that is what I would find.  Shows are at bare minimum shops booths ext.  It takes a certain customer count to make it seem "happening". and they are no where near that.  If available would consider puchasing a $30 Thursday pass but it doesnt seem like they are doing those this year.  Rock and a hard place,  they need support but if I activate the pass I would not return until things start resembeling normal. It seems a better choice for me to let the pass expire and use it next year.   I wonder how many of " Me " there are out there....
  Me too!  Same scenario; it would be nice to walk around some cooler afternoon, but not for the cost of my season pass.  I'm not sure I'll go back much this year, either.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2020, 03:12:25 PM »
Right now the announcement is no reservations required until Labor Day so I bet once Pumpkin Nights start, at the very least, reservations will be required for weekends.

We've already made multiple reservations through the end of the year for this reason. When it is cooler, one of the main arguments about it being too hot for masks also goes away for many people. Depending on how things go, I could really see reservations being hard to get on weekends during Christmas.

We had some friends that went this past weekend for the first time this year. They were in the "too hot, don't want to wear a mask" camp and now they are in full agreement that the masks are 100% worth the short lines and it actually was a much better experience overall than a normal summer Saturday.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »
We went the first 2 days they were open then the next weekend went to WW.  I want to try and get back this month but not sure it will happen.  If it does this coming weekend will be the only option.  The week after next we will be in Florida for a couple of days .  Probably wont be able to make it as often as we did in years past.  If all of Branson goes with a mask requirement it will be a hard pass for us.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
We went the first 2 days they were open then the next weekend went to WW.  I want to try and get back this month but not sure it will happen.  If it does this coming weekend will be the only option.  The week after next we will be in Florida for a couple of days .  Probably wont be able to make it as often as we did in years past.  If all of Branson goes with a mask requirement it will be a hard pass for us.

Have a good trip to Florida.!! 

I dont think Branson will do the mandatory mask thing.   
I do agree with you, If it happens, it may be a while before I get back.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
I am thinking about making a quick trip over this weekend, either going over tonight or tomorrow to check out MRF.  I am correct it my assumption they got rid of reservations for season pass holders, correct?