Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71752 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »
Swoosh....do the white lines on picture #8 mean no sitting or standing?  More or less keep moving?

That’s the line that your feet have to be behind during the parade at Christmas.

pintrader

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »
Swoosh....do the white lines on picture #8 mean no sitting or standing?  More or less keep moving?

That’s the line that your feet have to be behind during the parade at Christmas.

Okay!  I thought they fairly well got those off before the new season.  Of course with the new season opening later they would not have the chance to wear off at this time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:36:18 PM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
At least they did give the restroom safety signs a frontier look.  My Stetson is off to them for that.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2020, 11:31:07 PM »
At least they did give the restroom safety signs a frontier look.  My Stetson is off to them for that.

Speaking of bathrooms... the ones at the Playhouse got remodeled
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2020, 11:56:45 PM »

I like the signs at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum (AKA, Cowboy Hall of Fame) in Oklahoma City:

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
^ Well yeehaw, HB!  That's my second favorite spot to visit next to SDC!
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »
^ Well yeehaw, HB!  That's my second favorite spot to visit next to SDC!

Really?  I haven't been there in quite a few years, but the security guard's posts during CVD19 have gotten me interested in a return trip.  I know it has improved a lot.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
^ Our last visit was in 2017.  We try to make it there every 5 years or so.  If I lived closer I'd visit more! 
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »

Christmas!!!???? :D :D 

Are we still having Christmas this year..??    ::) ::)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
Sorry I am not being clear, I was not asking about the mechanics of social distancing.  I know if someone else doesn't want to, that is fine, I can walk away.  This was more of a general question, along the same lines as "is it possible to just walk on wildfire? or is it possible to get a seat in Echo Hollow show without waiting?"  So for the people that have visited SDC this year, does anyone social distance?  I know there will always be individuals that don't care, individuals have always cut lines, steal soda, push to the front at parades, sit in the handicap spots without being handicapped, and so on. I am asking "in general" is it possible to social distance.
I don’t equate not staying at least six feet (arbitrary #) apart from others at all times with stealing or cutting lines, etc., since it is literally impossible to do in a theme park with thousands of people everywhere.

If someone is afraid of covid, they should not go to a theme park. Logic is seriously lacking for anyone who expects to socially distance/not catch a virus when out in public, especially at a place such as SDC.

Overall I thought it was handled very well during my recent visits and people were courteous, but I also have realistic expectations and I don’t live in constant fear.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »
I visited the park two days last week. We had a great time. There was good and bad but mostly good, of course.
My crew included 8 adults and 13 kids of varying ages.

Homestead Pickers are a joy. Glad they are there to welcome people to the park. The entry was great and reasonable with reasonable people doing their jobs. The health check was a delay but done well and we get there early enough to not have to wait. Be there by 9 if you can.

Good stuff: First and foremost, the classics. Flooded Mine was looking and sounding great, except the “im gettin outta here...” line was still missing. But the ride looked good and I could hear the music. Gigs working, etc. Who cares about the guns.
-Fire In The Hole was not only there THANK GOD but it was good other than the very beginning and very end of the ride, which was bumpy.
-American Plunge is still fun, but we all know about the problems.
-Shops that were open were all good, especially leather shop and christmas and candy store. Taffy great, too.
-Bathrooms were clean.
-Food service was very good. They have a lot more on their plate now including sauces and they did a good job.
-FREE WATER. SDC deserves huge props for this. And the workers as well were giving big cups of ice water, with lids and straws too. Thats a small touch that has big benefits.
-Glad to see the Dockside still up and doing shows, hope the rumors of its demise are wrong.
-The new bridge down from the candy shop  actually looks great, much better than expected. Also, to my relief, the     horse sound is still used and the toll operator is still there. Great job SDC.
-The saloon show at the riverfront is a good move since the saloon is closed and they did a good job with it overall.
-Outlaw run really is a great ride, so is powder keg.
-Thunderation may have done the best job with the que.
-I’m really looking forward to the new mystic river falls ride. The theme is looking promising from what I can tell, so fingers crossed. Lake Silver is also still present. But the new area is awful (more on that below).

Now for the negative:
-Why on earth is the church closed? And grandfathers mansion? Seems dumb when some shops are open, I guess money talks. I expect those open next trip.
-New cinnamon bread store/bbq place look terrible. Ugh. The whole area is a serious downgrade other than the fact that its “new”. Im sure the food is good, but why did they decide to theme it like that? Makes no sense. And the music? Why get rid of cajun connection if you want to go for a jazz type theme, and the jazz they are using isn’t peppy at all. Sounds like a sleezy restaurant.
-Starbucks? Its like they are purposefully trying to ruin the old bakery when you combine that with loss of bread.
-Que operation was absolutely terrible at powder keg and fire in the hole. My goodness, what a fiasco. Powder keg needs two trains.
-a few workers on cell phones, but overall they were good.
-time traveler is still a big letdown for me.  But others enjoy it so thats good. One thing that I think we all can agree upon though is that awful tick-tock sound that ruins the entire area around TT, TNT, bathrooms, christmas hollow, etc. That tick tock is so loud and annoying, they need to get rid of it. Also the aue at TT was very, very slow considering the shortness of the line. Not worth it. It was a waste of time to ride it.

Masks? Meh. About what I expected. Its impossible for people to wear masks constantly, but they did well. Loved the use of hand sanitizer and its prevalence everywhere. Thats more important than masks.

Overall a great trip, will be back late july.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

pintrader

« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
I don’t equate not staying at least six feet (arbitrary #) apart from others at all times with stealing or cutting lines, etc., since it is literally impossible to do in a theme park with thousands of people everywhere.

I think their comparison is that there will always be someone that breaks the rules or pushes them to the brink.  In this case a few that will not even try to social distance even if possible.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »

I think their comparison is that there will always be someone that breaks the rules or pushes them to the brink.  In this case a few that will not even try to social distance even if possible.

I’ve now been to Frontier City, Alabama Adventure, The Park at OWA, Six Flags over Georgia, Six Flags St. Louis, Silver Dollar City and Worlds of Fun this season.  Every single park had guests who refused to adhere to social distancing.  These guests, with a few outliers, were all from one particular group.  I’m hoping that this was a coincidence but the parks I visited represent a decent sampling of different areas. 
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »

I’ve now been to Frontier City, Alabama Adventure, The Park at OWA, Six Flags over Georgia, Six Flags St. Louis, Silver Dollar City and Worlds of Fun this season.  Every single park had guests who refused to adhere to social distancing.  These guests, with a few outliers, were all from one particular group.  I’m hoping that this was a coincidence but the parks I visited represent a decent sampling of different areas.
Ok, you obviously know we’re going to ask for what group you’re talking about so I’ll do the honors.  8)

What group?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:17 PM »

Ok, you obviously know we’re going to ask for what group you’re talking about so I’ll do the honors.  8)

What group?

Those that appear to be in a lower tax bracket / come from a lower socioeconomic level. 
What? Were you expecting a different answer?
SWOOSH