Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71774 times)

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
A short answer. A vaccine.

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, including the common cold. Researchers have worked on it for decades, with no success.

I don't expect this virus to be any different, especially since it will mutate within 18 months.

Not like it hasn’t mutated at least a reported 4 times already during this planned-demic

Seriously if you’re scared, stay home, the rest of us are going to start living again.  Just keep in mind that staying home will also repress your immune system making you more likely to catch a lesser disease/virus when you actually do go out finally

I will!! and those of you who choose to be cavalier in your attitude please take precautions so you do not infect anyone with a compromised immune system.. I actually hope they keep it closed all year myself so the selfish will not be tempted to infect those who are choosing to be smart. But, Then the ability to ride a roller coaster is a god given right !!! The important things in life. LOL And unless you have a degree in infectious desiese or immunology your medical opinion means nothing.

Please know that I am sympathetic to those who have a compromised immune system and to the elderly. There are members of my family who fall into these categories. But I also think it's important that we recognize that to many, access to an income-earning job can also be a life or death issue. I think we must recognize the seriousness of this disease for some portions of our population, do what we can to protect them as best as we are able, and then allow others to decide how much risk they are willing to take. For some, I'm sure staying home feels safe and smart because they may have the means to be able to work from home or not have to work at all, and for others I'm sure it feels maddening, not just because of "freedom" and "my rights," but because being forced to stay home means not knowing how they'll be able to afford their mortgage or car payment or grocery bill this month or the next. I feel for those who are scared of this virus for good reason, just as much as I feel for those who are scared that they won't be able to meet their family's most basic needs in an uncertain future. There may very well be SDC employees who fall into that category.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, including the common cold. Researchers have worked on it for decades, with no success.

I don't expect this virus to be any different, especially since it will mutate within 18 months.

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but isn't the reason why there isn't a cold vaccine due in part to the hundreds of strains and the fact that the duration of most colds is short and the impact on health is minor? There's definitely an incentive to create a vaccine for this. There's no doubt it is a highly-contagious virus that feels like Russian roulette -- we just don't know who will have a bad reaction or who will be asymptomatic. On top of that -- and because of that, actually -- there's money to be made. The whole world is watching and waiting and drug companies are racing to be first.

pintrader

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
Please know that I am sympathetic to those who have a compromised immune system and to the elderly. There are members of my family who fall into these categories. But I also think it's important that we recognize that to many, access to an income-earning job can also be a life or death issue. I think we must recognize the seriousness of this disease for some portions of our population, do what we can to protect them as best as we are able, and then allow others to decide how much risk they are willing to take. For some, I'm sure staying home feels safe and smart because they may have the means to be able to work from home or not have to work at all, and for others I'm sure it feels maddening, not just because of "freedom" and "my rights," but because being forced to stay home means not knowing how they'll be able to afford their mortgage or car payment or grocery bill this month or the next. I feel for those who are scared of this virus for good reason, just as much as I feel for those who are scared that they won't be able to meet their family's most basic needs in an uncertain future. There may very well be SDC employees who fall into that category.

That is pretty well said woodgrain.......That may well be the answer to when will you feel comfortable enough to return to SDC?   

When the emplyees do!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

Not like it hasn’t mutated at least a reported 4 times already during this planned-demic

Seriously if you’re scared, stay home, the rest of us are going to start living again.  Just keep in mind that staying home will also repress your immune system making you more likely to catch a lesser disease/virus when you actually do go out finally

I will!! and those of you who choose to be cavalier in your attitude please take precautions so you do not infect anyone with a compromised immune system.. I actually hope they keep it closed all year myself so the selfish will not be tempted to infect those who are choosing to be smart. But, Then the ability to ride a roller coaster is a god given right !!! The important things in life. LOL And unless you have a degree in infectious desiese or immunology your medical opinion means nothing.

The ability to live one's life how they see fit is a God given right. No one is forcing anyone to go to SDC. You go and you get it then it is on the individual that chose to go, no one else. Same goes for work, if you value that life more, quit, no one forces anyone to work, Fayetteville is full of fat, apparently happy homeless. As with all thing every action has consequence but I will not be giving up for free will and if your scared, make Bezos richer. If I die from getting Wiflu on a coaster, it was a good death.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »
Has anyone confirmed that rollercoasters, funnel cakes, and the smell of creosote do not cure the virus?  Maybe somebody should look into that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:10:38 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

pintrader

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
Seems logical......it cures everything else!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
This is why we have to come to accept that life must gp on.  This is going to effect the health of people so much more so than the virus. Suicides, alcoholism, domestic abuse, many already showing upticks particularly domestic violence.

I'll point to the old saying, the cure is worse than the sickness.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »

The ability to live one's life how they see fit is a God given right. No one is forcing anyone to go to SDC. You go and you get it then it is on the individual that chose to go, no one else. Same goes for work, if you value that life more, quit, no one forces anyone to work, Fayetteville is full of fat, apparently happy homeless. As with all thing every action has consequence but I will not be giving up for free will and if your scared, make Bezos richer. If I die from getting Wiflu on a coaster, it was a good death.

I will say it again in a different way. I could care less about your health if you choose to be a crusader or one of the clowns that put on costumes and march on your states capital. But, you people spread it to others and that is where your rights end totally.  If you choose to go out and avoid the guidelines then you need to be quarinteened so you do not infect others !!

I feel really sorry for you if you feel a roller coaster is more important than saving lives. You and other like you must live a sad life.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 02:51:08 PM »

That is pretty well said woodgrain.......That may well be the answer to when will you feel comfortable enough to return to SDC?   

When the emplyees do!

The employees will be forced to.

pintrader

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »

When the emplyees do!

Yes...They will probably be strongly encouraged to, but if they don't drop like flies with no major complaints hopefully it will be time to open.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »

When the emplyees do!

They can choose not to and face the consequences, sure. But right now, they are being forced NOT to work. Like I said earlier, I think there should be a reasonable reopening of the country/state/individual businesses that respects the dangerous nature of this virus, while also recognizing that it can be just as dangerous to the country/state/individual if we were to attempt to keep everyone shuttered in their homes for 1 to 2 years until a vaccine is widely available. The economic consequences and the subsequent effects they will have on mental health will be dangerous. I know that line of thinking may sound callous and it may sound like the rhetoric employed by folks who also say that this isn't a serious/real health threat, but that secondary catastrophe -- suicides, mental breakdowns, domestic violence, child abuse -- is very real and should be considered in how we think about this, in my opinion. It is true that reports of those things I listed above are on the rise. Sadly, mental health issues requiring hospitalization are on the rise, domestic abuse reports are on the rise, and so are child abuse cases. The consequences of not sheltering-in-place are fairly obvious, now, but unfortunately, the consequences of sheltering-in-place are also starting to reveal themselves, too, and none of them are favorable in the least.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 03:40:36 PM »

When the emplyees do!

They can choose not to and face the consequences, sure. But right now, they are being forced NOT to work. Like I said earlier, I think there should be a reasonable reopening of the country/state/individual businesses that respects the dangerous nature of this virus, while also recognizing that it can be just as dangerous to the country/state/individual if we were to attempt to keep everyone shuttered in their homes for 1 to 2 years until a vaccine is widely available. The economic consequences and the subsequent effects they will have on mental health will be dangerous. I know that line of thinking may sound callous and it may sound like the rhetoric employed by folks who also say that this isn't a serious/real health threat, but that secondary catastrophe -- suicides, mental breakdowns, domestic violence, child abuse -- is very real and should be considered in how we think about this, in my opinion. It is true that reports of those things I listed above are on the rise. Sadly, mental health issues requiring hospitalization are on the rise, domestic abuse reports are on the rise, and so are child abuse cases. The consequences of not sheltering-in-place are fairly obvious, now, but unfortunately, the consequences of sheltering-in-place are also starting to reveal themselves, too, and none of them are favorable in the least.

I would love to see some legitimate links to your research ?  And at what dollar amount of salary do you value a human life /
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:03:14 PM by runner1960 »

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 03:56:34 PM »
Here's an article noting that a shelter service in KC has noticed a 25% increase in domestic violence calls since the stay-at-home order was issued.

https://www.kshb.com/news/coronavirus/kcpd-domestic-violence-up-in-kansas-city-since-stay-at-home-order-took-effect

That same article mentions that KCMO Police Dept stats indicate an increase in domestic violence incidents without a weapon from 277 to 323 (17% increase) from January through March with no other types of crime showing a similar increase.

Here's an article noting that child abuse cases in Jackson County dropped 50 percent between mid-March and mid-April, likely because children are not being seen by teachers at school who are mandatory reporters. Obviously not indicative of an increase, but the decrease is cause for concern and child advocates caution in this article that an increase in child abuse cases is expected.

https://www.kshb.com/news/coronavirus/kcpd-domestic-violence-up-in-kansas-city-since-stay-at-home-order-took-effect

Further from home, here's a report from Texas that child abuse cases have spiked, there, with 8 children admitted to Cook Children's in Fort Worth from March 17 to April 15 with injuries related to child abuse -- three died, when Cook Children's typically sees 6 child abuse deaths in an entire year.

http://fortworthtexas.gov/news/2020/04/COVID-19-Child-Abuse-Prevention/

The mental health cases requiring hospitalization -- some of that is anecdotal evidence. Things I've heard from people who work in health care settings. But there is also this article from Hays, KS detailing how calls to a local mental health center's crisis hotline doubled between April and May.

https://hayspost.com/posts/5eab10e3eb7f17053603d8a7

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »

When the emplyees do!

I would love to see some legitimate links to your research ?  And at what dollar amount of salary do you value a human life /

I don't put a dollar amount on the value of human life. We are image-bearers of our Creator and all life is precious. I'd ask you why you are so resistant to the idea that all government actions have consequences. Some good and some bad. I've heard it said about this pandemic that while all of us are in the same storm, we are not in the same boat. Some are riding this out from their vacation homes on remote islands, some are stuck in downtown high-rises, some in suburban neighborhoods, and some are out on the farm. Some can work from home because of the nature of their work, and some can not. Some don't need to work and will hardly put a dent in their savings while they wait for a return to normalcy. Some are already out of work and relying on unemployment to make ends meet. Some are picking up free food in church parking lots, many who probably never thought they would have to resort to something like that. Some are protesting on the steps of their state capitol buildings -- some out of principle and some out of necessity because they lost their jobs or the market for the goods they produce has collapsed due to government action. Again, I'm not saying the right response was to do nothing at all...all I'm saying is we should be honest with ourselves and each other as we contemplate the consequences of those actions. They are very real and life-impacting, as well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
but to be fair the  first case in the U.S. was supposedly in January which was only 3 months ago.

That was actually 5 months ago... it’s May
SWOOSH