Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71758 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Going back to SDC
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:00:23 PM »
Okay, after a lot of soul-searching I have to ask the question: What would SDC have to do to make you feel comfortable enough to go back?  Our first planned trip of the year is for the 16th - 17th of this month for Bluegrass and BBQ.  I asked my wife (i really don't see it happening) but what if that was the weekend they decided to open for the season.  Would we go then?  What would have to happen for us to feel comfortable enough to go?  Make it mandatory that everyone wear a mask of some kind?  Do a temperature check for everyone going into the park?  Limit the number of people in the park?  What would they need to do?
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
I don't think there's anything the park can do to make people feel safe for those who are paying attention. Asymptomatic spread has always been the issue. A lot of those who are spreading the virus don't know they have it and might not have a fever or anything yet. Unless everyone is getting one of the rapid tests at the gate, you can't be sure...

If I felt like risking it and going to SDC, I don't think any amount of social distancing would matter. You are going to come into contact with people there no matter what, walking through clouds of their breath eventually. You also can't sanitize enough with that many people. Someone would have to be at every door and counter constantly spraying.

Basically, I will feel comfortable going back to SDC when one of two things happens: I get immunity after catching and recovering from the virus, or I get a vaccine. The good news is that both antibody tests and vaccine candidates are coming out rapidly. Sounds like there may be multiple vaccine options trying to produce millions of treatments by Fall, and the antibody tests are revealing that millions have already gotten over the virus anyway.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »
Okay, after a lot of soul-searching I have to ask the question: What would SDC have to do to make you feel comfortable enough to go back?  Our first planned trip of the year is for the 16th - 17th of this month for Bluegrass and BBQ.  I asked my wife (i really don't see it happening) but what if that was the weekend they decided to open for the season.  Would we go then?  What would have to happen for us to feel comfortable enough to go?  Make it mandatory that everyone wear a mask of some kind?  Do a temperature check for everyone going into the park?  Limit the number of people in the park?  What would they need to do?

FYI Bluegrass & BBQ has been completely canceled for this season
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 02:08:37 AM »
What would SDC have to do to make you feel comfortable enough to go back?

Open. That's all it would take for me.

I don't deny the seriousness of the virus. I've been working right through the entire thing, in a very high-risk, high-contact industry (grocery).

In my state, until this week it's been almost impossible for someone to be tested unless they were both symptomatic and had other risk factors (contact, travel, etc.).

And even with only highly likely people being tested, negatives outnumber positives 12:1, and of those who test positive, less than 3% have died. The majority of fatal cases are in long term care facilities.

Now we've gone from 100 tests per day, to 1,200 tests per day, and the gap is growing wider.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 06:46:36 AM »
A short answer. A vaccine.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 07:34:27 AM »
It’s weird.  For how many news cycles this thing has demanded, I still don’t know a single person who has personally had the ‘rona.  In fact, I don’t know a single person who knows a single person who has had the ‘rona. 

Not saying the virus is a hoax, but definitely saying the response was a planned-demic
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
It’s weird.  For how many news cycles this thing has demanded, I still don’t know a single person who has personally had the ‘rona.  In fact, I don’t know a single person who knows a single person who has had the ‘rona. 

Not saying the virus is a hoax, but definitely saying the response was a planned-demic

Does seem odd?  doesnt it?

On the other hand deaths to the Common Cold, the "Flu", Pneumonia and heart disease is down this year. ::) ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »

Does seem odd?  doesnt it?

On the other hand deaths to the Common Cold, the "Flu", Pneumonia and heart disease is down this year. ::) ::)

What a happy coincidence that is. 
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »

FYI Bluegrass & BBQ has been completely canceled for this season

I knew that- just making a what if scenario
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I know 3 people.  A friend had a friend who died and my son knows a few; one of which died and was only 40 and healthy.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
What would SDC have to do to make you feel comfortable enough to go back?

Open. That's all it would take for me.

I don't deny the seriousness of the virus. I've been working right through the entire thing, in a very high-risk, high-contact industry (grocery).

In my state, until this week it's been almost impossible for someone to be tested unless they were both symptomatic and had other risk factors (contact, travel, etc.).

And even with only highly likely people being tested, negatives outnumber positives 12:1, and of those who test positive, less than 3% have died. The majority of fatal cases are in long term care facilities.

Now we've gone from 100 tests per day, to 1,200 tests per day, and the gap is growing wider.

I am also in the grocery business, and my territory covers 12 counties. One store I call on had an employee with COVID (early 20s and he recovered). Store also has another employee in quarantine through this week. County judge (head administrative official) in county near me had COVID, he recovered.

I will consider going back to SDC when I really see a decline in new cases in AR and MO, hopefully, this summer.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:49 PM »

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, including the common cold. Researchers have worked on it for decades, with no success.

I don't expect this virus to be any different, especially since it will mutate within 18 months.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, including the common cold. Researchers have worked on it for decades, with no success.

I don't expect this virus to be any different, especially since it will mutate within 18 months.

Not like it hasn’t mutated at least a reported 4 times already during this planned-demic

Seriously if you’re scared, stay home, the rest of us are going to start living again.  Just keep in mind that staying home will also repress your immune system making you more likely to catch a lesser disease/virus when you actually do go out finally
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:00:20 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »
Okay, after a lot of soul-searching I have to ask the question: What would SDC have to do to make you feel comfortable enough to go back?   What would they need to do?

Open the Turnstiles, 
Drop the chains,
step back out of the way.. 
count me in.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Think they have Outlaw Run masks available for sale yet?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating