Author Topic: Starbucks in the park?  (Read 12403 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Starbucks in the park?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »
Name a major corporation that doesn't have "questionable political views". They are all dirty in their own ways. Starbucks catches a lot of flak from the type of people that go looking to be offended anyway.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Starbucks being added for the obvious theme clashes. Somehow I don't think Starbucks is going to cover their stuff up in decorative wood or use theme-appropriate signage. Coke is bad enough, but at least they try to theme it up a little bit. It's going to be another garish brand that again takes away from whatever is left of SDC's unique charm. Not a huge deal by itself, but again, it's all the little things that add up.

The mill is a special place at SDC. It is a real working grain mill that they actually use to produce products you can buy in the store such as the funnel cake mix. That is the old SDC that people used to come for.

Hopefully it's just a couple coffee machines.

1. Have you never been to a Disney park? They always make their signs fit in with the surroundings.  The only exception right now is Epcot

2. These are not full blown Starbucks.  They will serve maybe 4 options and will be in addition to what is being sold not the marquee attraction.

I would have thought it would have been a better fit in Eva & Delilah's Bakery instead of Sullivan's Mill.  Everyone has to pass it and lured in by the smell of the bakery early in the morning would have produced a lot more sales.

It would have also kept the charm of the mill intact.

They thought about adding it there but they preferred the foot traffic being pulled more to Midtown instead of clogging up the pathway to HH even more than our already is in the morning
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:10 PM »
Can't say I have ever purchased anything from them.  I have never seen the attraction.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 11:07:01 PM »
Can't say I have ever purchased anything from them.  I have never seen the attraction.

Well you don’t strike me as the type to wear black yoga pants all the time and have a Karen haircut so that’s not too surprising 
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 08:27:36 AM »
It may be their sin, but, if I contribute to their bottom line, I am providing funds that they use to support causes I refuse to condone.  That contribution makes it my sin.

I guess I don't let things I read on the internet affect me that much. As Sister Gabriel would say "that's their sin, not mine". If their product is good and their service is good, I will go to their company. I do look for things like "We support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Wounded Warrior, etc." and given the choice I may go to one of those establishments over another, however I don't bash or hate on anyone just because Carole Baskin tells me to.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
It may be their sin, but, if I contribute to their bottom line, I am providing funds that they use to support causes I refuse to condone.  That contribution makes it my sin.

Agreed,  thank you

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »

2. These are not full blown Starbucks.  They will serve maybe 4 options and will be in addition to what is being sold not the marquee attraction.

So not actually Starbucks just serving Starbucks coffee? If that's the case, this will likely be the same or less out of place as all the coke logos in the park.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »

I guess I don't let things I read on the internet affect me that much. As Sister Gabriel would say "that's their sin, not mine". If their product is good and their service is good, I will go to their company. I do look for things like "We support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Wounded Warrior, etc." and given the choice I may go to one of those establishments over another, however I don't bash or hate on anyone just because Carole Baskin tells me to.

And what is their sin ?  Curious as to what they have done to set you off ?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »
So not actually Starbucks just serving Starbucks coffee? If that's the case, this will likely be the same or less out of place as all the coke logos in the park.

Correct. 

Quote from: runner1960
And what is their sin ?  Curious as to what they have done to set you off ?

Can we stop with the politicizing of every thread on here?
It would be nice if we could have JUST ONE PLACE online where I don’t have to put up with this crap.

Seriously.  I don’t care if you think “orange man bad” or MAGA.  LGBTQ+ Forever or Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve.  Jesus Loves Me This I Know or Atheist/Whatever.  Just stop already. 

If you have an opinion on the topic without infusing your political/spiritual/whatever views into the discussion then join in the conversation.  If you cannot do that, get lost.  Seriously enough with this crap.
SWOOSH

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »
I'm honestly okay with a Starbucks in SDC if it isn't sticking out like a sore thumb like the Coca Cola machines. if it helps keeps my generation (it's pretty much the only thing that they will drink) in SDC, then I think it's fine.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »
^ Coca Cola was invented in 1886 so it does fit in with the time period.  I guess so does coffee for that matter- LOL.  It would be nice if they made the coke dispensers more period correct looking though.
I'm Your Huckleberry

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:47 AM »
I'm not opposed to Starbucks being in the park, but I'd rather not see it in the mill, personally.

Nor do I want to deal with the long lines that come with any Starbucks should I decide to get Cinnamon Bread from the new Bread location.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
I'm certain they could have set up a coffee shop location without using Starbucks or any other coffee brand.  I've wanted them to add a coffee shop for awhile, but why not sell their own brand and train a few employees as baristas? They could've called it Mountain Jacks brand and sold it by the bag.  I always hoped they would turn Mountain Jacks building into a coffee shop.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
I'm certain they could have set up a coffee shop location without using Starbucks or any other coffee brand.  I've wanted them to add a coffee shop for awhile, but why not sell their own brand and train a few employees as baristas? They could've called it Mountain Jacks brand and sold it by the bag.  I always hoped they would turn Mountain Jacks building into a coffee shop.

I feel like you’re overthinking this.  From what I’ve heard, they’ll serve regular black, decaf and tea.  This is only “serving Starbucks coffee” and not full blown Starbucks. I don’t even foresee there being baristas.
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
Keeping the number of drink options for Starbucks to a minimum is essential for this not to be a mess...

Although I like the Freestyle coke machine at the pizza place, it is a major congestion point. It is just as much a congestion point at the restaurants that have it too. It takes 3-4 times longer per soda fill due to the interaction and menu section and all the choices. Great idea... poor implementation

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »

I feel like you’re overthinking this.  From what I’ve heard, they’ll serve regular black, decaf and tea.  This is only “serving Starbucks coffee” and not full blown Starbucks. I don’t even foresee there being baristas.

I'd still like to see a coffee shop! A latte would be great!  ;D  They need more places offering coffee around the park.  There aren't many.  If you want coffee in the evening, bring it with you.  Echo Hollow has it on the menu, but its very seldom made, and more often than not, we're told the machine is broken.