Author Topic: SDC postpones opening!!  (Read 24154 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC postpones opening!!
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 07:53:12 AM »
Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. I just checked the Facebook page and I have never seen so much witching and moaning. Give me a break. This is totally unprecedented and companies are trying their best to balance staying in business and retain customers. I did not buy season passes this year but this would have been a totally acceptable solution if I had.

^^  Agreed.!!  So many people (especially now),  wanting to know what they are going to get for free!!.  Give me!  Give me!  Give me!     

Come on!! 
Lets get the park open, 
Lets get the Businesses across the Country open
Lets get Branson Open for business,

Then if the need is really there..  Let the owners figure out how to "compensate" their customers..

WHAT??  IF SDC open on June 1st?  people dont think they can get their moneys worth?   Geez! 3 or 4 or more days in 6 months.!  thats a bargain..

Shows in Branson?  another site people screaming for freebies.  What are they going to do(give me)? free tickets? disconts for next year? refunds?  Sheez!!??     Again 3 or 4 or more trips in 6 months doesnt justify the price you paid?

People need to step back form the punch bowl.. sit back and wait..   This will work out. If is doesnt the jump on the wagon and yell I want it for FREE!!!

OK.  of the soapbox now, rant over....  LOL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
Let me begin by saying that I am speaking from a privileged position because my wife and I continue to receive a paycheck. Many people aren't in the same boat. I get that.

I've been a season pass holder for 15 years. If I don't get to make a single visit this year because of the Coronavirus, I don't feel like SDC owes me a penny. I'll buy my passes again next year and hope for a better year.

The long-term viability of SDC is more important to me than getting to visit this year.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
The issue is that since they were not the first company in the state to make their decision on what to do, the standard (precedent) has already been set.  Worlds of Fun is giving their season pass holders 2021 for “free”.  Now that this has become very public, anything less than that seems like a slap in the face to the pass holders.  SDC should have called and raised so that they would appear to be the park in the area that cares the most about their patrons.  As is, they’re barely on par with Six Flags with how their handling this. 

Perspective is everything in this industry

So one glove fits all? Does that mean that all higher-end parks (I'm calling SDC one of those, at least in comparison to WoF) need to do the same things as the lower-end ones? We don't have this problem in Missouri, but doesn't Disney and Universal do different things that the smaller parks in Florida and California?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »
The issue is that since they were not the first company in the state to make their decision on what to do, the standard (precedent) has already been set.  Worlds of Fun is giving their season pass holders 2021 for “free”.  Now that this has become very public, anything less than that seems like a slap in the face to the pass holders.  SDC should have called and raised so that they would appear to be the park in the area that cares the most about their patrons.  As is, they’re barely on par with Six Flags with how their handling this. 

Perspective is everything in this industry

So one glove fits all? Does that mean that all higher-end parks (I'm calling SDC one of those, at least in comparison to WoF) need to do the same things as the lower-end ones? We don't have this problem in Missouri, but doesn't Disney and Universal do different things that the smaller parks in Florida and California?

Here’s the problem using Disney and Universal parks in this conversation, those parks use what is called an annual pass.  That means that you have one year of use at the parks from the date it is bought.  So if you buy the pass in March, it’s good from that day in March to the same day in March the next year.  So what Disney and Universal are doing is expanding that year the annual pass is good for by however many days the parks are closed.  See that works great in this situation. 

SDC (and now DW who announced the same procedures for their passes) are really painting themselves into a corner.  They don’t have a membership program like Six Flags (where they just suspended dues until the park opens again and they gave everyone one free level upgrade on their membership) and they don’t do annual passes like at the big boys, so what do they do?

Well there’s several thought processes here.  The clean and easy way to do it is how Cedar Fair (WOF, CP, KI, etc) is doing it with just giving 2021 “free” - in this system there are no questions.  It is straight to the point.  Then there’s the other way of doing it, which SDC, Dollywood (and Hersheypark I’ve just learned) are expanding the pass into 2021 (but not the entire season).  On paper to accountants this sounds extremely logical, but instead of fixing what it was supposed to fix, it has now created more issues.  How do we prorate? What if people don’t buy the rest of 2021? So many questions that were created that didn’t need to be. 

I know that the park means well, it just appears (to me and many others) that they should have done better
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »
I am real surprised about the concern of "value" and time of the season pass.

The PTB will figure it out and whatever they do will be fair to some, but others will scream foul!!

IF the 2021 SP is so "questionable" about value.  here is my thought.....

They could simply sell an all year pass for whatever.... Say.. 90.00

Then for the people with 2020 passes, when they up up due on June1 2021, extend it for 50 bucks for the duration of 2021

See? easy peasy.. no overlaps, no double fees, all passes would end at the end of the year 2021.

Back to regular passes and good times for 2022

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
I am real surprised about the concern of "value" and time of the season pass.

The PTB will figure it out and whatever they do will be fair to some, but others will scream foul!!

IF the 2021 SP is so "questionable" about value.  here is my thought.....

They could simply sell an all year pass for whatever.... Say.. 90.00

Then for the people with 2020 passes, when they up up due on June1 2021, extend it for 50 bucks for the duration of 2021

See? easy peasy.. no overlaps, no double fees, all passes would end at the end of the year 2021.

Back to regular passes and good times for 2022

Agree totally, Just amazes me at the amount of people who think they are owed something.  Its a simple solution.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »
Here’s the problem using Disney and Universal parks in this conversation, those parks use what is called an annual pass.  That means that you have one year of use at the parks from the date it is bought.  So if you buy the pass in March, it’s good from that day in March to the same day in March the next year.  So what Disney and Universal are doing is expanding that year the annual pass is good for by however many days the parks are closed.  See that works great in this situation. 

SDC (and now DW who announced the same procedures for their passes) are really painting themselves into a corner.  They don’t have a membership program like Six Flags (where they just suspended dues until the park opens again and they gave everyone one free level upgrade on their membership) and they don’t do annual passes like at the big boys, so what do they do?

Well there’s several thought processes here.  The clean and easy way to do it is how Cedar Fair (WOF, CP, KI, etc) is doing it with just giving 2021 “free” - in this system there are no questions.  It is straight to the point.  Then there’s the other way of doing it, which SDC, Dollywood (and Hersheypark I’ve just learned) are expanding the pass into 2021 (but not the entire season).  On paper to accountants this sounds extremely logical, but instead of fixing what it was supposed to fix, it has now created more issues.  How do we prorate? What if people don’t buy the rest of 2021? So many questions that were created that didn’t need to be. 

I know that the park means well, it just appears (to me and many others) that they should have done better

First of all, my example of Disney and Universal was just to create a higher tier park, and distinguish them from other parks in their areas. I wasn't trying to use them as an example here, and my bad if it came off that way.

But yeah, as I believe I mentioned before, logistically for them it could create additional headaches. But, I am either going to buy the remainder of 2021 or I am not. If the prorated price is fair, I most likely will. I can't imagine that SDC would do this and then try to rip off current season pass holders by making the prorated price too high.

I guess if someone like you is more in tune with these types of things, then it could be an issue for you. But the people I've talked to about it so far are glad they're doing something.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »
Not a season pass holder this year but if I was one this solution is fine. They are extending the time you missed. That is fair. And in all honesty I wonder how many of those SP holders planned on going March-June 1st anyways? I know we do because the crowds are light and its such drive for us it makes sense. Now my next thought is about the prorated cost. I think that is kind to be offered. But I would rather purchase in November and get all the benefits for the year. That is not to say they will not give bonuses to the current pass holders, but it is really not that much more in November AND its on a payment plan. Either way, 2021 is getting purchased correct? Gamble on prorated cost or get November cost? I am a November cost gal.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
I guess if someone like you is more in tune with these types of things, then it could be an issue for you. But the people I've talked to about it so far are glad they're doing something.

Is this a case of “ignorance is bliss” for these people that are not “more in tune with these types of things”?
SWOOSH

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »
Is this a case of “ignorance is bliss” for these people that are not “more in tune with these types of things”?

Well, perhaps to an extent. But I bet a lot of people in this boat are only ignorant because what other parks are doing doesn't matter that much to them. Like for me, I didn't even know what other parks were doing until I came on this site.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
I really don't care what other parks are doing--I have no interest in any of them. 

Nor do I feel like SDC owes me anything.  If I get to go twice this year, the SPs are paid for.  If I don't, it is as likely a function of my schedule as it is theirs. 

If they don't get to open at all, well, I figure the least of my problems is SPs bought and paid for last year.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
I really don't care what other parks are doing--I have no interest in any of them. 

Nor do I feel like SDC owes me anything.  If I get to go twice this year, the SPs are paid for.  If I don't, it is as likely a function of my schedule as it is theirs. 

If they don't get to open at all, well, I figure the least of my problems is SPs bought and paid for last year.

^^^   I like it.! couldnt agree more..