Author Topic: SDC postpones opening!!  (Read 24163 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC postpones opening!!
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
SDC furloughed 257 more workers today
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/missouri/2020/04/15/silver-dollar-city-lays-off-257-workers/5139313002/

That sounds bad, 
But by laying them off they will be able to collect unemployment and maybe some of the other stimulus money out there floating around.
The article I read said that SDC would continuing paying their health insurance, which a good thing for the Employees.   
I hope that the insurance payment isnt considered "wages", that might effect their claims.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2020, 07:28:49 PM »
It means all of the full time (or almost all) maintenance staff are furloughed
That means the park will not be opening anytime soon.  Maybe June at earliest
SWOOSH

scootriteby

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2020, 10:43:33 PM »
I called Silver Dollar City the first of this week(just to see if they had any idea). The person I talked to said tentatively the last of May, possibly June. Not sure where he got his info from.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2020, 06:10:01 AM »
Although NO official announcement, the General speculation is June 1st at the earliest...

which means that the PTB have already decided they will NOT be open for memorial day weekend

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
Here is a thought, and most likely dumb, but a thought none the less. I know they begin selling the next years SPs in November. Do yall think they will make this event earlier to help generate much needed income for themselves? I keep waffling on how good of an idea this is. Not asking for them to be discounted, keep them the same price as they would have been just a couple months early? Maybe they release them in November for a reason I do not know. Highly possible.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Here is a thought, and most likely dumb, but a thought none the less. I know they begin selling the next years SPs in November. Do yall think they will make this event earlier to help generate much needed income for themselves? I keep waffling on how good of an idea this is. Not asking for them to be discounted, keep them the same price as they would have been just a couple months early? Maybe they release them in November for a reason I do not know. Highly possible.

I think they have bigger priorities right now. To be honest Theme parks are on the bottom of most peoples list of concerns right now. It would be a PR nightmare when most people are struggling to buy groceries and unemployment ramp up higher each week. I know I will have different priorities after this is over and most of my friends are assessing how they will approach life after.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:39:38 PM by runner1960 »

pintrader

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
I know they begin selling the next years SPs in November. Do yall think they will make this event earlier to help generate much needed income for themselves?

I don't really believe so because your talking about a small amount of income if you started selling them a couple of months ahead.   Most people would just wait anyway unless SDC really sweetened the deal by adding extra vouchers to get in free.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
Looks like they extended existing 2020 season passes through June 1st, 2021. Makes me think they will be closed through May perhaps?

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »
That is great but does that mean if you buy passes next year they will be discounted?  Otherwise I will probably use thru the extended period then skip the rest of the year.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »
Saw that. Odd choice on their part to let people have half a season then have to pay for a season pass renewal mid-season.  ???

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2020, 01:21:10 PM »
A lot of businesses are doing "odd" things right now.

Although, I don't even know that it's really that odd (other than a logistic standpoint, I suppose). I'm guessing the pass for the remainder of the year next year will be somewhat discounted for current pass holders.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. I just checked the Facebook page and I have never seen so much witching and moaning. Give me a break. This is totally unprecedented and companies are trying their best to balance staying in business and retain customers. I did not buy season passes this year but this would have been a totally acceptable solution if I had.

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2020, 03:11:16 PM »
with all due respect to everyone asking questions, no one is certain about how anything is going finally work out at Silver Dollar City or any business directly affected by the pandemic.  I know we all want answers and eventually we will get them but it's going to take some time and patience.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »
Saw that. Odd choice on their part to let people have half a season then have to pay for a season pass renewal mid-season.  ???

I did see something posted on Facebook somewhere about they would be offering prorated or discounted passes for the rest of the year next year.  We shall see.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2020, 12:24:07 AM »
Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. I just checked the Facebook page and I have never seen so much witching and moaning. Give me a break. This is totally unprecedented and companies are trying their best to balance staying in business and retain customers. I did not buy season passes this year but this would have been a totally acceptable solution if I had.

The issue is that since they were not the first company in the state to make their decision on what to do, the standard (precedent) has already been set.  Worlds of Fun is giving their season pass holders 2021 for “free”.  Now that this has become very public, anything less than that seems like a slap in the face to the pass holders.  SDC should have called and raised so that they would appear to be the park in the area that cares the most about their patrons.  As is, they’re barely on par with Six Flags with how their handling this. 

Perspective is everything in this industry
SWOOSH