Author Topic: SDC postpones opening!!  (Read 24160 times)

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC postpones opening!!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
At least May

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 10:45:13 PM »
Basically indefinitely until COVID-19 is under control
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
I was going to say that anyone who sets a specific date at this point is fooling himself. 

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 11:02:48 PM »
Found it interesting that SDC and DW released basically word for word statement. Until now, they seemed to be doing their own thing. Most of the statement is attributed to Craig Ross, Dollywood’s president in the DW release and is just standard next (not a quote) in the SDC statement.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
In case you haven’t put 2 and 2 together...

This year there will be no:
-Spring Ride Days
-Young Christians Weekend
-Festival of Wonder
-60th Diamond Jubilee Homecoming (as planned)
-Bluegrass and BBQ?

I’d be all for cutting down Star Spangled Summer and putting in Festival of Wonder as I don’t need two months of Reuben
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:38:50 PM »
I have put 2 and 2 together and come to the conclusion I probably should have skipped season passes this year like I originally planed to do.  Instead in went all in and decided to get season trail blazer passes also.  Tick tock, the season is running down as we speak. I know it is not their fault and there are other problems in the world but since this is a SDC discussion group I figured I might as well bring it up.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 08:07:41 PM »
I'm glad I skipped this year.  For the first time in about 10 years I had no family vacation money budgeted for 2020.  Spending it on the house.

Just remember season ticket holders you are all in this together.  I'd trust HFE will do what is needed for everyone. 

I'm not trying to be the morality police.....I do feel bad for the SDCs workers who need the park open to put food on the table:(  These parks aren't just full of part-time kids getting summer money.....plenty of workers are depending on these jobs.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

pintrader

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:10 PM »
I have put 2 and 2 together and come to the conclusion I probably should have skipped season passes this year like I originally planed to do.  Instead in went all in and decided to get season trail blazer passes also.  Tick tock, the season is running down as we speak. I know it is not their fault and there are other problems in the world but since this is a SDC discussion group I figured I might as well bring it up.

Pretty sure you can get another season pass for next year if you do not use your pass this year.   I have never did that but heard at one time they would allow you to do this.   The trailblazer pass might be done the same...not sure.   Just call or message to check.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
I will miss BG&BBQ if we lose it.

I am not sorry to have bought the passes.  SDC is goin to get hit hard financially this year.  Call whatever value I don't get to use a contribution to the future of the city.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 10:30:13 PM »
Waiting on final confirmation, but read in a couple places that Bluegrass & BBQ is officially canceled for 2020. 
SWOOSH

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
My family is blessed in the fact that neither my wife nor I are missing paychecks during this situation. We have four season passes. I pray that we will be able to use them at some point this year. If not, I don't expect any sort of refund. As far as I'm concerned, use my money to support the employees of the City.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 11:19:15 PM »
I'm not really expecting them to open next month, but I am hopeful for June. We are moving out of the initial lockdown and containment phase and into the management phase. Theme parks and events are obviously the last things that will come back, but at the same time, the more we learn about this virus the less dangerous it seems for the average joe and the more we can manage it. It's hard to tell at this point if the virus is less dangerous than presumed or if our distancing measures are having a powerful effect.

A lot of SDC's older and more vulnerable patrons (and employees) probably won't/shouldn't make it to the park this year, but maybe they can manage some kind of season for the rest of us? I don't know. It's hard to tell at this point if that would be completely irresponsible, or if the threat of danger has diminished enough that we can get back to at least a little bit of normal life.

Here's hoping for a productive next few weeks on the research side of things. Lot of data set to start rolling in. Will post more in the other thread.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 08:19:27 AM »
Bluegrass & BBQ is cancelled (not sure why it’s still up on the website)
More furloughs being rolled out next week for most of the remaining staff :'(
SWOOSH

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
This is just crazy to watch. I know it is all for the best and understandable but just hard! The calendar shows TBD until June 1 (if not later). That does not give all that much time before Christmas and getting them lights up. Do they not usually use off days in the fall to put lights up? Do yall think that they will make the season longer (into January February) to make up for the time lost?

pintrader

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
If they do open this year which is a pretty big if, I would guess they might run every day like a Moonlight Madness type of thing with extended hours.  As far as running into Jan & Feb I would not think so because there is only so much Christmas spirit to go around.   Even to clear the city of Christmas decorations and reopen wouldn't make a lot of sense with the coldest part of Winter coming on.   I don't see it anyway!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:56:15 PM by Pintrader »