Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 36151 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »
People are starting to get antsy about re-opening the economy... and I get it, but it's still really hard to grasp the full picture here. We flattened the curve more than expected, but thousands are dying every day, and the spread will obviously increase drastically if everything is opened back up to like-normal conditions. There's some indications that the virus has spread farther than assumed already, and more people are immune than thought. Then again, they are running out of room for corpses in NYC, and several other states are starting to get hundreds of deaths per day and increasing... We still simply need more time and data.

Plasma treatments are just getting off the ground for the most part. They aren't perfect from my understanding, but they can help the body fight off the virus long enough to get an upper hand on it.

The Hydroxychloroquine studies have largely been inconclusive so far, but more data from the first real, controlled studies is due in the next couple weeks.

Other than blood plasma, the only really promising treatment I've heard of lately with good data behind it is Remdesivir. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016?fbclid=IwAR0BKqopChXwoMI3eOmgunJ2a4dac9A_VQA5SDVVCbaYI2hOk0QA_7NO6QM
That's all preliminary info from a smaller study, but there is more data due on it soon. It looks like it definitely knocks it down for most people, but it's not exactly a cure.

A lot of vaccine trials have either barely begun or won't even start till summer, and of course there's a 90% chance the first tries won't work... hopefully some of the research from earlier SARS outbreaks has helped them narrow it down, but who knows.

I'm checking sites just about every day hoping to hear of some kind of breakthrough that could mean we'll get back to "normal" sooner than next year, but there's nothing definitive yet obviously.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
So Oklahoma is trying to open a number of businesses back up in limited capacity this weekend. There are essentially three phases to the opening, but by June 1 even summer camps will be back in session if they want to be... I assume that means FC could open up in June if they want.

Obviously Missouri will probably take a slower approach, but if things don't backfire entirely it is starting to look like we could get to SDC this summer after all. It's really been wild trying to figure out how bad the actual virus impact will be from week to week. We're still on track for a lot of additional deaths this year thanks to the virus, but obviously the world will have to keep on turning.

Lot of vaccine trials getting started with human trials this week and next week. Moderna has a big head start, but they don't have a big track record. I'm just hopeful that with this many candidates going forward at once, at least one will work!

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2020, 08:12:50 AM »
IF they did open, I personally would be concerned about the masses. I feel like I have said this before....but I am not sure how safe it would be having all kinds of people from all over all congregating at SDC. Just from the turn styles to the cave is hard enough to navigate without bumping into someone on a busy day.

I suppose they could sanitize each ride before and after each use, but that would take some time. Waiting in line feels like it would be the pits, especially if we are all social distancing. Those queues are only so long and having 6 foot intervals would be rough. Also, would they need to do every other seat? No sitting with each other? Would there be a capacity limit? Dining inside?

So many questions! I do not relish being in the PTB shoes.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2020, 08:27:50 AM »
I still cannot believe we shut down and destroyed the economy for this thing. 
There were 60.8 million total cases of H1N1 in the states and it was no big deal.  We’re barely over 2 million worldwide total cases of COVID-19.  So forgive me if I’m not overly concerned about catching it by going to SDC. 
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »
 From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases of H1N1 that killed 12,469 in the U.S.  As of today there have been 855,435 cases of COVID-19 that have killed 47,992 in the U.S.

At this point COVID-19  is more contagious, more deadly, and if 60.8 million people were to somehow get infected by it that would project to around 3 million deaths.

Do I think that many will perish?  Probably not, but it is going to be a terrible toll when all is said and done.

pintrader

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
Obviously Missouri will probably take a slower approach, but if things don't backfire entirely it is starting to look like we could get to SDC this summer after all.

I don't see how SDC can get by the social distancing that needs to take place.  Even at phase 3 physical distancing is in place and Missouri isn't even at phase 1 yet.  I sure hope they can but it sure looks like it is just too much for them to overcome this year.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
I will take the cautious approach. I can do without a roller coaster ride for a year to provide for the safety of my family in the long term. Hopefully the precautions taken has flattened the curve and will give us the time to find a vaccine. Excuse me if I do not feel the pain for corporations during this. We have assessed our priorities and even after this is over plan on spending more time with family and friends and less with manufactured environments.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
This stuff has been around NWA since at least mid Jan, we likely peaked and didn't know it. I'd love to see a city wide antibody test of Bentonville, particularly Walmart Home Office workers. All these antibody tests studies are show it was vastly more widespread before the lockdown than ever imagined, the chinese covered this up for a good long time. NYC  is looking like over 2 million have had it.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
Pretty sure the drummer in my band had it in January. We played four gigs together that month. He had all the symptoms. Body aches, high fever, and cough but nobody really knew that Covid-19 was out there then. 

it cleared up after about a month and now he's ok

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »
I am about convinced by wife had it back in December.  We were on a cruise in early December and there were a bunch of foreign folks from China on the cruise, I mean a massive amount.  Never seen anything like it on a cruise before.  Did not think much of it though.  This was before we heard anything about it here.  Toward the middle/end of December she started having symptoms that they now say are Covid.  At the time she did get tested for the flu and it was negative.  So no telling but highly suspect.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »
You guys should keep an ear out for the serology tests that are coming around. Would be interesting to know if you did indeed have it and already have antibodies. We know it has been circulating around for awhile, but it probably hasn't gone as far as some people believe either. I'm really hoping we get those tests soon. That will answer so many questions.

Unfortunately, some of the tests that have been used aren't dialed in correctly and have given false positives. Some of the studies that claimed a huge percentage of participants had antibodies have been proven wrong. It's getting there though, and there are certainly some reputable studies already that have proven higher rates than anticipated.

I don't think the heartland has been really hit hard yet. I think there's going to be a lot of damage to be done here if it really spreads around among our older folk. So many people around here are so unhealthy, it wouldn't take much of a virus to push their bodies over the edge or at least make them very sick. Most people will be fine of course, we've known that all along. It's still a gamble.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/24/coronavirus-there-covid-19-antibody-testing-near-me-probably-not/3013202001/

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
I have not checked the site for a few days and I red through this thread with astonishment and a bit of shame...

For those of you "plandemic" folks... How about you read the BBC news or ANYTHING not biased one way or another... How about you look at the ENTIRE world and not stuck in your "USA" frame of mind. Be logical... Do you REALLY think that the ENTIRE WORLD has conspired against the president to take him down? To ruin EVERY economy in the ENTIRE WORLD? Have you ever known that many nations to agree on ANYTHING? We can't even get agreement in this forum... now throw in entire world views. I read the BBC news constantly as I just can't handle the news here. They have no agenda to further ANY political view in this country. I've read their criticisms of how things are done in their own country... But I don't see the divide there that is here. But I also don't read anything there saying this is all a made up hoax. They have taken it seriously... and even so, their death rate in the UK is EXTREMELY high. Regardless of your political leanings, this is a worldwide problem. It is NOT made up. And the death rate on closed cases worldwide is 17%. While it is a lagging indicator from time of diagnosis until outcome (3-4 weeks), it says this is a real problem. The US death rate by closed cases is something like 26%. Both numbers have dropped considerably in the last 2 weeks as more people have recovered thankfully.

I came back from the UK on March 22 and then was in health dept. quarantine - not allowed to leave my house or be around people - for 2 weeks. I am an essential employee and have been working. My company has about 20 people so my exposure has been limited to about 10 trips to drive throughs, 3 Walmart visits and a grocery store visit since that time frame. Missouri just reopened most everything and Springfield, where I currently live, just decided to open bars as well with a maximum of 25 people. I am a musician in a band here and most weeks I would be in a bar 3-5 nights a week. But I won't be going for awhile. I don't feel safe. My choice. If people feel comfortable, more power to them. I have NOT been good about wearing a mask or gloves the few times I have gone out. Hence why I have limited my exposure.

I am lucky in that I am an engineer and an essential employee for my business in the automotive sector. And our overall company - which employs something like 1500 people - has been lucky as well in that there have been no cases within the organization. While someone said they are a machinist and still working, I wonder how many outsiders are you exposed to every day? How many people do you work with? And for those who are saying it is majorly effecting the average worker, with the extra $600 the federal is kicking in, I don't know of anyone on unemployment who is not making MORE money now than by working! Missouri's unemployment is awful but that extra money makes it very livable for anyone making $75k or less - which is a HUGE amount of people. I don't know about other states, but in MO it is hard for places to open when their employees can triple their monthly income by staying home.

The real losers in all of this are the small businesses. My friends own a bar here and they decided to not reopen after having to be closed for 2 months. And I am sure that will be the norm across the country and across the world.

I implore all of the people who have posted in here - no matter your political leaning - to look at news NOT in the US and see what is really going on. Get outside your "USA IS BEST" mindset and look at the world. Yes, many other countries have handled this differently and better... You can't compare Sweden to the US. You can't compare country to country. Most of Europe and the UK are MUCH more active than we are in the US. And we are considerably less healthy and more obese than the rest of the world. There are so many cultural factors that come into play. You have to stop being so "America" centric and be WORLD centric. We are a global economy. We need to start acting like it

Would I go back to SDC this year? Well, I thought I would be moved to the UK by now but this pandemic has slowed that down... But would I go should they open? No... It is my choice. I won't be going much of anywhere for the foreseeable future. Because I have seen and heard too much and I don't trust others. If you feel comfortable, go. It is your life. BUT as others said, how would you feel if you were asymptomatic and spread it to others and they died?

I read somewhere in here someone saying that hospitals are being subsidized to diagnose as COVID-19. PLease post your sources and don't spread false "facts"... But again, look at the entire world. The UK for example is government funded health care. They are not operating their hospitals like a corporation for profit. Do you really think they are making up their numbers to get paid? You all have to stop focusing on America and look at what is going on in the world...

And quite honestly, we are a laughingstock in most of the world. They just shake their heads. I talk to people on a regular basis in the UK and they just laugh at us... To make America great again we have to be respected. We aren't. They laugh at our divide. They laugh at decisions made by people in charge. They use us as an example of WHAT NOT TO DO. How about we set about changing that... regardless of your political party. How about we start listening to each other? Caring about each other? How about we be able to have discussions again about topics and we listen and learn and maybe research and change our mind? How about we admit we're wrong and not hold so tightly to things on principle and not on facts and data?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2020, 11:01:35 PM »
Feel better?
I’m sure there’s probably a more appropriate platform for your rant out there and I hope you are successful at locating it.  BTW, I thought you were leaving this site for good?
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2020, 06:24:08 AM »
Wow... you take that as a rant? I was just trying to get people to look at things from a worldwide perspective. And no. You have mistaken me for someone else in “leaving the site for good”. I am supposed to be leaving the country, but I never said anything about leaving the site for good

But seriously if you think that was “ranting” you have a very large problem. If you think this was "ianappropriate" perhaps you are part of the problem and not the solution. I addressed several things in the last 4 pages of posts with logical discussion and not party bias. How is this "inappropriate"? Because it goes against your beliefs and you have trouble arguing it? Because I am logical? What exactly is the problem?

I was trying to bring the discussion around to solutions and not the arguing that has been going on. If that is "inappropriate", perhaps you are the problem
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:42:32 AM by Jemmicat »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
Jemmicat. I applaud you. Well written. I've known a couple dozen people with the virus, one 23 year old that was on a ventilator for 14 days, one as young as 2 years old. Luckily, to this date, all have survived. I, too, watch the world, not just the arrogant "me generation" here in the USA.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park