Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 36156 times)

pintrader

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2020, 07:15:14 AM »
We also had picked up a couple of Axe body wash that was on the clearance isle for $1 a piece.  When we were told we could only purchase one of these also because they were limiting 1 shampoo product per family.

You lucked out there, and society thanks you.

I guess so......I never thought I would see the day I would be limited to 1 shampoo product.

The fewer Axe products there are, the better.  ;) ;D

They suckered me in on the $1 price  :)

pintrader

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
Cedar Fair parks are more closed through Mid-May

SDC is Closed through Mid-April

KC Metro has Closed all 14 school districts on MO side through April 24

MO DESE has closed all MO schools through April 6 and canceled State testing

Unless things change quickly it sure looks like 2020 is a lost year for everyone, and actually no guarantees past that.

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
Im curious, where did you see that SDC is closed through mid-April? That seems like a very generous date seeing how things have been progressing over the last few days. But, just to add to the confusion, some employees in a facebook group are saying that they're still trying to open on the 28th. That seems especially unlikely. Though, until the park officially updates us on the situation, i really don't know what to expect.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
Yeah, they aren't opening in a week, or even several weeks. They will have to keep pushing it back. In fact, the craziness is literally just beginning. By mid April hospitals throughout the country will be maxing out their ICU beds (based on current capacity). Since America was so massively under prepared and so many are not or unable to perform proper social distancing, this thing is going to surprise everyone.

The crazy thing is that you don't even know you got exposed and then one day 5-14 days later you wake up feeling like there's a belt around your chest. That huge lag factor makes it so much worse.

We won't get back to "normal" anytime soon. It's hard to look through the next couple months and know what the world is going to look like. 1% will die based on everyone getting good care, but once the overruns start happening, it can spike much higher than that. Then you start thinking about all the lasting effects of pneumonia and what that means for a whole generation who got it at once... We are going to hurt for a long, long time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
Im curious, where did you see that SDC is closed through mid-April? That seems like a very generous date seeing how things have been progressing over the last few days. But, just to add to the confusion, some employees in a facebook group are saying that they're still trying to open on the 28th. That seems especially unlikely. Though, until the park officially updates us on the situation, i really don't know what to expect.

My mistake.  I thought they had already made that public.  I guess I spoke too soon.  The government of Stone County made that decision for them.  There’s more behind the scenes reasons but I guess I’ll refrain from saying it’s official official until the park makes a statement
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
I was in London March 8-10 and then in northern England (near Sheffield) from the 10 until the 20th and then back in London the 21 and flew home the 22nd. They are more prepared... but people in London in particular are not taking it seriously even though the government seems to be. I was supposed to stay until the 29th but things were changing there and here too fast and I was afraid to get stuck there and since I don't have sponsorship/visa yet, all of my things are still in Springfield.

Anyway, by mid last week, things were shutting down. Take away only. Or closed entirely. By the time I got back to London there was almost nothing open. I was staying in a hotel and really barely able to find food within walking distance. I wanted to go into London but all was closed. Heathrow on Sunday was busier than I expected, but nowhere near as busy as it usually is. People were walking around with masks. Some had on like hazmat type suits and goggles as well. The flight from Heathrow to Atlanta was packed. But Atlanta was a ghost town. Again, no restaurants were open really. And my flight back to Springfield had 12 people.

There are many things we are not getting information wise here... This is bad. And going to get REALLY bad if we don't take proper measures. Italy, I still don't know WHY Italy, is in complete lockdown. Parts of SPain are as well. London is close to complete... but no one is following the order there. It is going to be really bad there. And if we don't take proper measures, we in the midwest are going to get hit hard... it is just going to take awhile to get here. 

I am on 14 day quarantine required by CDC. I was in areas with multiple cases. I kind of expect that I will get it... But I am at least home with my puppies and not stuck in a hotel room

If you are not taking all this seriously... you are a fool

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »
Italy, I still don't know WHY Italy, is in complete lockdown.

The reason for Italy is because there are a lot of Chinese-run sweat shops located there. By having them in Italy, they b still put “Made in Italy” on the items (even though they probably should say “Made in China”).  A lot of the workers returned from China after the New Years festivities and came back infected.  The incubation time worked against Italy and when they realized what was going on, it was too late. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:24:17 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »
Italy, I still don't know WHY Italy, is in complete lockdown.

The reason for Italy is because there are a lot of Chinese-run sweat shops located there. By having them in Italy, they b still put “Made in Italy” on the items (even though they probably should say “Made in China”).  A lot of the workers returned from China after the New Years festivities and came back infected.  The incubation prof worked against Italy and when they realized what was going on, it was too late.

The Chinese were funding a marketing campaign in Italy asking them to hig a Chinese person as they were not a virus, playing off people's fear of being unwoke. This was happening at the same time thousands upon thousands of Chinese were coming back from the Lunar New Year festivities back home. Italians containment efforts were too little too late from the Florence area and north. That stuff spread via the packed train stations like one one could imagine as these Chinese got back from the airports to their villages where the chinese run sweat shops are at.

This video was posted a month ago, you do the math

https://youtu.be/8o_uXF9B4KI
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:43:50 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »
From an unbiased source:

"He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks."

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/#ixzz6HocWwffQ

Here's the video of him reporting to the committee; so no paraphrasing:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1242797985139957760

His new calculations take into account the preparations the UK have done to try to flatten the curve, and apparently it's working.

But here in the US... well, firstly, we have a terrible healthcare system. Secondly, there are still too many people not taking the "stay at home" orders seriously, and there are many states that haven't even locked down at all.

The Imperial College report gave multiple predictions based on how much or how little action is taken to flatten the curve. The UK did what was needed and so they will hit the lower range of the predictions. The US? Not even remotely.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:11:56 PM by Joy »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
The daily wire is a far right wing fake news site. The coronavirus numbers are continuing to accelerate and deaths are happening at an alarming rate both in the UK and US. Here is the article that the daily wire is basing some of its reporting on: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

What Neil Ferguson is apparently saying is that the UK has done a good job adjusting and he now expects them to avoid the absolute worst case scenario if they hold to it. He is not saying the danger has passed or that he messed up the original estimates. There are still all kinds of assumptions and predictions being thrown around. We know more than we did last week, but everyone is still trying to figure this all out and the data is coming in as a live stream.

The idea that the virus has been spreading undetected and that most people who get it aren't even going to notice is highly enticing to those who want to get back to normal. I get it, I want to get back to normal too. The thing is that there are plenty of examples happening right now of hospitals getting overwhelmed, supply shortages, and deaths of even young healthy people. The risk is real and the consequences are staring us in the face, even if a good percentage of the US will ultimately be fine. Why is everyone so quick to gamble with their lives and the lives of those around them?

Today the US surpassed 1,000 deaths. We are just reaching two months after the first reported US case, and now we have somewhere in the vicinity of 70,000 cases growing by over 10,000 each day (at this point it's going as fast as testing allows).

The UK is taking things more seriously and helping to flatten the curve, but they are going to have a lot of deaths as well and I'm not sure that revised number makes much sense unless they really knock it back. The US is simply screwed. We still don't get it. The way we live our usual lives is totally incompatible with how we have to live to stop this virus. So many people aren't willing to adapt well enough or quickly enough.

Ultimately, the number of total deaths are highly dependent on how fast they can ram through useful treatments and the eventual vaccine. If we can just hold the line and do what we can to limit the spread for a few more weeks, hopefully the first wave will fall off and the systems will get a chance to adjust.

Moderna's human vaccine trials start early summer. Hopefully they get quick results and can fast track it. They say they might start producing it by end of summer if it shows good initial results. Could be distributing it by Fall, if it works...

Hydroxychloroquine testing is ongoing. China says it doesn't work, but I think we've learned to ignore everything they say by now. Some real studies should show results in a couple of weeks. Other treatments are also being tested, but again, it will be a few weeks just to get initial data.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »
The UK didn't start shutting things down until 2 days ago.  Not sure how people think they are handling it so much better.  The best example to look at for this virus is the Diamond Princess cruise ship.  Only 20% on the ship even caught it and that is with being in close quarters.  It is very likely some people were already immune to it before this outbreak. 

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
"The UK didn't start shutting things down until 2 days ago." - This is not true. I was there from March 8 until March 22.

just over w week ago even northern England where I was (Gainsborough - 22k people and Sheffield 500k people) had started taking serious measures. All restaurants were pretty much takeaway only. Distancing was in place. Pubs and other places weren't really open. By early last week it had mostly shut things down.

London... well, they finally had to force that issue as people weren't listening. But they were shutting down 1+ weeks ago when I was there

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
The UK's NHS is theoretically setup better to handle it than our crazy jumble of disconnected health systems and state governments. Theoretically everyone there has access to care no matter what, and their government can pour resources directly into the system. They can scale up and attack public health issues like this whereas the US is tripping all over itself in a mad dash for supplies.

Also, like Jemmicat says, most European countries are probably better on average about dealing with things as a community. There are always some standout idiots, but people over there are a lot better about observing quarantines and adapting to the situation. In much of the US you have about 80% of people observing social distancing to some extent, but enough people are shrugging it off that it make it much more difficult for the rest of us.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
I am still active at work (essential employment) at XNA and I am astonished myself or other people up there haven't caught it yet considering we have likely had infected people come thru. I have been taking proper measures as have everyone else up there though. Lots of gloves and sanitizer. All of the shops and food court places up there have shut down until further notice at least.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:43:43 PM by sdcfan88 »