Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 36152 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:21 PM »
All Kansas schools are closed and won’t have in person instruction the rest of the school year
In Missouri most schools are now closed temporarily.  Wright City and Warrenton have announced permanent closure for the school year much like the Kansas schools.

Missouri has its first death from COVID-19 today.  A 60 year old man in Columbia who has traveled aboard.  We are up to 26 cases as of this evening in MO

SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
Yeah, the Imperial College report is probably one of the most important things released so far. I really highly recommend people read it, or at least read a decent summary of it: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html

If it's terrifying, it's probably not accurate.

We have exactly one instance of an entire community in close quarters being exposed and 100% tested: the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Of the 3,711 passengers and crew, 696 (less than 20%) tested positive. Of those who tested positive, 7 (1%) died.

This was in a tightly confined group who were mostly in the most vulnerable age range.

"In addition to the relatively low infection rate despite being several weeks in close quarters, it’s basically the only case where we have a true controlled experiment where 100% of passengers [and he obviously means “and crew”] were tested and we know exactly who got it. It has everything all the other stats are lacking: a reliable numerator and a complete 100% accounted for denominator, plus known locations of all passengers."

https://www.econlib.org/my-bet-on-covid-19-and-why-i-might-lose/

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »
Looks like maybe May 16 for an opening date?  Ugh.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 10:54:02 PM »
Keep in mind... 
SDC is NOT in Branson city limits...   
therefore whatever "rules" branson city passes......   doesnt pertain to SDC

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
We’ve effectively entered a police state.   :o
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
We’ve effectively entered a police state.   :o

YEP!! >:(..

Just waiting for Martial Law, :o :o

And Curfew!! >:( >:( >:(

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
All Cedar Fair parks and properties will remain closed through Mid-May according to a chain wide announcement made today. 
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »
Stone county has announced similar restrictions. Not as long on their order though.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
It's crazy how the rich and famous are suddenly coming down with it left and right. Almost like the virus has spread everywhere and no one spotted it because no tests were available.

There is still so much that is unknown about this virus. What is known is that it is indeed much worse than the flu, and hospitals are going to be swamped. I am very strongly encouraging everyone to blunt the force of this thing by staying home as much as possible for awhile. It's such a small sacrifice that could help so many.

Here's the light at the end of the tunnel though: it turns out most people won't even know their body has fought it off. A lot of cases are asymptomatic. They did blanket testing on a village in italy and found it had spread further already than anyone had imagined, but most people didn't even realize they had it. Most will get lucky. Some will get very sick. Some will have lasting damage, and yes, some will perish. As callous as it sounds though, I think the realization will set in over a couple months that most who were going to get it will have got it and survived.

By the time summer hits, people will want to get back to their regular lives and there will be no appetite left for self-quarantine, even if there are still plenty of old people to kill. That's good news for the economy, but horrible for society. It still a long wait for a vaccine... Will we keep our old people caged up for the next year?

This has been floating around for months, it went undiagnosed by chalked up as the flu anyways..I have a friend that teaches in Bentonville and went in to the Doctor and tested for the flu(she has had a hack for a month now) she showed negative but he treated her for it any. His words to her was that there has to be a version going around that the test isn't picking up.

Italy was doomed. There is a large Chinese diaporanofnchinese there making "Made in Italy" bags and clothing. Just after Trump banned travel from China , thousands upon thousand flew back to Italy from the region this came from after their new year's celebration., combined with Italy's old population  and Chinese propaganda promoting Italians to Hug a Chinese person cause they are not a virus but a person campaign, you get what you got.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
Yeah, the Imperial College report is probably one of the most important things released so far. I really highly recommend people read it, or at least read a decent summary of it: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html

If it's terrifying, it's probably not accurate.

We have exactly one instance of an entire community in close quarters being exposed and 100% tested: the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Of the 3,711 passengers and crew, 696 (less than 20%) tested positive. Of those who tested positive, 7 (1%) died.

This was in a tightly confined group who were mostly in the most vulnerable age range.

"In addition to the relatively low infection rate despite being several weeks in close quarters, it’s basically the only case where we have a true controlled experiment where 100% of passengers [and he obviously means “and crew”] were tested and we know exactly who got it. It has everything all the other stats are lacking: a reliable numerator and a complete 100% accounted for denominator, plus known locations of all passengers."

https://www.econlib.org/my-bet-on-covid-19-and-why-i-might-lose/

This

pintrader

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
I just got back from my local Wal-Mart and I was a little surprised at what was going on.  They were out of all paper supplies including toilet paper which was no surprise.  As I walked around I found they were out of eggs, pasta, rice, hamburger, and almost out of ramen, lunch meat and a lot of frozen food products.   The real surprise was when we were told we could only purchase one loaf of bread and had to put 1 back, limiting one per family.  We also had picked up a couple of Axe body wash that was on the clearance isle for $1 a piece.  When we were told we could only purchase one of these also because they were limiting 1 shampoo product per family. 

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 07:44:47 PM »
We also had picked up a couple of Axe body wash that was on the clearance isle for $1 a piece.  When we were told we could only purchase one of these also because they were limiting 1 shampoo product per family.

You lucked out there, and society thanks you.

pintrader

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »
We also had picked up a couple of Axe body wash that was on the clearance isle for $1 a piece.  When we were told we could only purchase one of these also because they were limiting 1 shampoo product per family.

I guess so......I never thought I would see the day I would be limited to 1 shampoo product.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:57:23 PM by Pintrader »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 08:52:27 PM »

I guess so......I never thought I would see the day I would be limited to 1 shampoo product.

The fewer Axe products there are, the better.  ;) ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2020, 06:51:03 AM »
Cedar Fair parks are more closed through Mid-May

SDC is Closed through Mid-April

KC Metro has Closed all 14 school districts on MO side through April 24

MO DESE has closed all MO schools through April 6 and canceled State testing