Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 36169 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:02 AM »
chuches closing in the bransons/springfield area...

will hold service online with live stream.

pintrader

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
 The CDC is recommending that events of 50 people or more not be held for about two months.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »
This is getting more and more riduculous, they are trying to declare Marshal Law without actually declaring it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »
The CDC is recommending that events of 50 people or more not be held for about two months.

You can pretty much count on YCW being canceled
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05:16 PM »
Hopefully all the preventive measures will work. I have had 3 concerts cancelled in the last 3 weeks but I could care less. Take time to be with your family and maybe talk , play games, heck, just enjoy each others company. That is more important than the constant entertainment cycle most people are in. I know this will probably lead my family to do more simple things together in the long run. I consider that a good thing. My backyard fire pit is ready for the summer and actually looking forward to a less hectic existence. Make the most of it folks.

pintrader

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »
Well it changes very quickly now, almost minute by minute.   The White House is saying now "Over the next 15 days, Americans should not gather in groups of more than 10 people, schooling should be at home and discretionary travel and social visits should be avoided. If anyone in a household tests positive for the virus, everyone who lives there should stay home".

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:37 PM »
How do we know we haven’t already had it? This year’s flu was horrible and unlike any I’ve seen before.  What if it was the coronavirus instead of the diagnoses of Influenza A or B? Unless they were specifically testing for COVID-19 they’re not going to know the individual had it or not. 

In other news, my school district shuts down after tomorrow for two weeks. Supposed to reopen on April 6
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:30 PM »
How do we know we haven’t already had it? This year’s flu was horrible and unlike any I’ve seen before.  What if it was the coronavirus instead of the diagnoses of Influenza A or B? Unless they were specifically testing for COVID-19 they’re not going to know the individual had it or not. 

In other news, my school district shuts down after tomorrow for two weeks. Supposed to reopen on April 6

A month ago I felt really bad, tired, chest hurt, dizzy, (but no fever or cough) lasted about four days - had a blood test, flu test, chest x-ray, and EKG which all came back negative. I ended up diagnosing myself with altitude sickness from flying in an airplane. I guess with no cough or fever I didn't have the COVID-19 but my chest hurt for no apparent reason.

All Good Now.

Jay

pintrader

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »

I heard on the Today show that there were thousands of people walking around with it that did not know it.  I guess for some people the symptoms are so mild that they don't think anything of it.   The way I understand it is there is more of a breathing problem with COVID-19 than regular flu, like shortness of breath.  So yes, I would say there is going to be a lot of people that have it or had it that will never be tested and never really know.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

This was floating around in China in late Oct/early Nov. There is a tweet on the WHO twitter feed in mid Jan where Chinese Authorities were claimig of no evidence of person to person transmission. Two weeks late they were locking down Wuhan and Teumpmwas banning air travel from there. Europe was was open for business and out esteemed media was claiming Trump racist over his ban. As we stand now, most cases in the US came from the Europe(Italy) backdoor.

XNA had over 900k deplanements last year, 10 percent of that was international. So, nearly 100k and a good bit of that is Asian travel. There is still not a confirmed case case in NWA but there is zero chance that it isn't present. Let's take the New Jersey Nets, 4 tested positive today, 3 are asymptomatic  and one is showing very mild symptoms. Without the NBA testing in the current environment, it is doubtful that any of the 4 would have a clue.  I believe it has been going onundiagnosed for a good long while.

This is an epidemiologist at Stanford. It is worth the time to see a contrarian view of this hysteria

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
We just got our first confirmed case in Cole County (Jefferson City MO area) and it is travel related. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »
It's crazy how the rich and famous are suddenly coming down with it left and right. Almost like the virus has spread everywhere and no one spotted it because no tests were available.

There is still so much that is unknown about this virus. What is known is that it is indeed much worse than the flu, and hospitals are going to be swamped. I am very strongly encouraging everyone to blunt the force of this thing by staying home as much as possible for awhile. It's such a small sacrifice that could help so many.

Here's the light at the end of the tunnel though: it turns out most people won't even know their body has fought it off. A lot of cases are asymptomatic. They did blanket testing on a village in italy and found it had spread further already than anyone had imagined, but most people didn't even realize they had it. Most will get lucky. Some will get very sick. Some will have lasting damage, and yes, some will perish. As callous as it sounds though, I think the realization will set in over a couple months that most who were going to get it will have got it and survived.

By the time summer hits, people will want to get back to their regular lives and there will be no appetite left for self-quarantine, even if there are still plenty of old people to kill. That's good news for the economy, but horrible for society. It still a long wait for a vaccine... Will we keep our old people caged up for the next year?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 10:25:18 PM »
An important thing to remember: there is a big explosion of positive tests, but that is not the same thing as an explosion of infected people.

Before testing, there were no confirmed cases, right? That didn't mean there were no cases.

Like most respiratory illnesses, the vast majority who contract it will never even know they had it. They will be asymptomatic, or have mild symptoms not unlike a common cold or mild flu. They will have no reason to even be tested.

Of course, they can still spread it to other people. Is that worth the lockdown decrees we've seen? I don't think so, but I'm not an epidemiologist.

I do have to say, working in the grocery business, that restricting hours and shutting down restaurants is exactly the wrong thing to do. People still have to eat, and forcing them into already overcrowded grocery stores, where their "social distancing" is reduced even further, and all under reduced hours which means people can't shop when fewer people are present, creates even more opportunities for the virus to spread.

New Hampshire (where I live) is currently at 26 confirmed cases (out of 742 tested, with 208 tests pending). Zero hospitalizations: all are self-isolating at home. And zero deaths in the state.

And yet, the governor declared a ban on any planned gathering of over 50 people. All restaurants are restricted to delivery or takeout only.

That last one really gets me -- how many people are crowded in, milling around, talking and waiting for their to-go order to be ready, when instead they could be sitting down in the dining area, farther apart from one another?

pintrader

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 07:03:42 AM »
I am like everybody else when it comes to COVID-19, which is I really don't know very much.   The real numbers nobody seems to know or really have a grasp on.   I read an article on MSN that was from the Washington Post last night that was done by The Imperial College London Group.  If you want to take the time to read it you can.   This study or report they say is why the U.S. is changing their attitude so quickly about the virus.   If it is true or even close it is the most....well frightning thing I have read or heard about COVID-19.  Here is the article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-chilling-scientific-paper-helped-upend-us-and-uk-coronavirus-strategies/ar-BB11jVNP?li=BBnb7Kz

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 04:06:15 PM »
Yeah, the Imperial College report is probably one of the most important things released so far. I really highly recommend people read it, or at least read a decent summary of it: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html