Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 36165 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Coronavirus
« on: March 12, 2020, 06:30:08 PM »
started this thread to take pressure off of the SDC page...

Disleyland- california,   closed

Nascar races closed to the public.. at least 2 of those races.!

College of the Ozarks and Keeter Center - Branson, closed until April.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 07:13:28 PM »
Fabulous Fox has canceled shows through end of the month

KC Broadway has canceled shows through end of the month

MSHSAA has canceled all music festivals through end of the month

SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
Disney world-closed. Which sucks because our local hs band was already on busses headed there to play

Production companies are laying off their employees for 2-3 months. This is caused by cancelled concerts, events, and expos.

The MIAA has postponed all events.

March madness-cancelled

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 08:16:02 PM »
Big conventions getting cancelled or postponed - Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle is postponed. Planet Comic Con in Kansas City (MO) postponed. Naka Kon in KC (KS) cancelled (but might schedule a later date).

The cancelled cons are really gonna do a number on artists. So many of them rely almost solely on appearing at cons to sell prints/etc. I have friends who might literally lose their house because of the loss of income... Hopefully the US steps up and puts a moratorium on evictions; I know there's at least one US City (San Jose) that has done so.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:17:39 PM by Joy »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »
I heard today that in KAnsas, 

they are thinking putting the local county wide health depts in charge of their county...  If they want to close or cancel an event/gathering/school/business they can.. .  (sounds like Martial Law to me)  NOT real happy about that,,,

KU and KS on extended spring break, with a good chance they will finish the year online..

WOW!!!   some of these people really need to step away from the Kool Aid Punch Bowl

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
But, not the international quilt show in Kentucky I'm attending in April - 35,000 people from around the world in a small town 4 days jam packed in hallways and conference rooms for lectures and classes, in line for an hour at restaurants with probably half the visitors senior age.   :o   As of last night, the show people saying they are not going to cancel.  I cancelled and lost a lot of deposit money for a week of classes.

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
I heard today that in KAnsas, 

they are thinking putting the local county wide health depts in charge of their county...  If they want to close or cancel an event/gathering/school/business they can.. .  (sounds like Martial Law to me)  NOT real happy about that,,,

KU and KS on extended spring break, with a good chance they will finish the year online..

WOW!!!   some of these people really need to step away from the Kool Aid Punch Bowl

I think that is actually a good idea local in charge of local because they should know what's going on inside their county and close to home better than anyone.  I mean at least it's not like China and quarantine a whole city, which would not go good here in the U.S.   I just wonder if it would be better to lock down all senior citizen housing  and just let the virus go and run it's course instead of dragging it out.   I mean it looks like this virus is going to go through the population anyway and the best we can do is slow it down, so it might be better to just get it over with.  The sooner it's over with the sooner things can be back to normal, or close to normal.  Then we can look forward to it probably coming back again this coming winter, oh boy.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
The reason to slow the spread is to "flatten the curve" so that our hospitals and medical personnel don't get overwhelmed. Italy was too late to do so and now they are triaging. Not a good thing.

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 02:08:43 PM »
That's probably going to happen anyway.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Slowing it down is the intent.  Some good choices are being made to get this under control. I can deal with a little less entertainment in my life if it saves lives and gets things under control. It still amazes me the amount of people that are on the conspiracy wagon !!! Lots of false information out there. Educate yourself people and do not get your news from internet memes.

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
The trouble is this is a new virus and even the experts don't know all the answers at this time.  Is it airborne or not, and how long does it live on surfaces?  That is just a couple of the important questions.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »
closing colleges in the FT Smith area, 
kids were told about it today, and have until sunday night to be gone, AND clean out their dorm rooms, and be off the campus entirely

classess will be fininshed on line.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 07:10:51 PM »
U-Haul is offering a free month of public storage to college students who are getting kicked out of their dorms because of this, which is a really nice gesture.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »
State Large Ensemble Music Festivals have been cancelled by MSHSAA through the end of the month. 

State MSHSAA Basketball games at JQH Arena have been limited to 150 per team and 3rd Place Games are cancelled

Six Flags St. Louis is Closed through the end of the month

Fox Theatre in St. Louis has cancelled The Bachelor: Live and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

KC Broadway has cancelled Fiddler on the Roof and Aladdin

Most Universities and Colleges in MO have moved to online classes for the remainder of the school semester

Missouri, Kansas, and Illinois have all declared States of Emergency

Illinois schools are now all closed.  Kansas is to follow suit. 

In the school district I work in, all off campus trips are cancelled for 5 weeks including sporting events - which basically end our Spring Sports.   

We were told today to start prepping to go to online classes in the near future.  We’re no longer in “IF” but “WHEN”

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:47:30 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH