Author Topic: Corona/COVID-19 Outbreak  (Read 3707 times)

underdog250

• View Profile
Corona/COVID-19 Outbreak
« on: March 02, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
With more and more cases of Corona/COVID-19 popping up in the United States do you think it will affect attendance rates? It could be months until a vaccine is produced and distributed. I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on its impact on the parks as we grow closer to March 17th.

pintrader

Re: Corona/COVID-19 Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
It's hard to fathom attendance levels holding up in the coming months if the virus continues to spread.   There have been some people that say warm summer temperatures will stop the outbreak in its tracks, at least that is in theory.   If that does not happen parks may voluntarily or involuntarily have to close.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
Well, Disney has already closed their parks in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and, most recently, Tokyo. You know it's bad when Disney closes their parks, especially as it was just at the start of their busiest season (Chinese New Year).

It's gonna be interesting to see if they eventually close here in the US. If it gets bad enough that Disney closes, I imagine the other theme park companies will follow suit.

The latest news today is that there are 20 people in self-isolation in St. Louis awaiting test results. So while most of the cases have been on the west coast, it may actually be closer to us than it seems.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:54:12 PM »
I am currently in Lubbock TX for work and was watching the news here and they said there was a case in San Antonio.  I have been out to California twice last month.  Next month I have to fly to San Francisco, then Norfolk VA, Nashville, then back to Tulsa all in the matter of a week.  Hopefully I don't catch it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 01:37:19 AM »
I work at XNA now and I will have front row seats if this virus comes to Arkansas. Though I think this hysteria will pass much like the others we have had in the past. (e.g bird flu/swine flu, ebola, etc.)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
I work at XNA now and I will have front row seats if this virus comes to Arkansas. Though I think this hysteria will pass much like the others we have had in the past. (e.g bird flu/swine flu, ebola, etc.)
You have already been exposed, without a doubt considering the asian supplier/vendor traffic. Take your temp on the reg and at first sign of fever go to Dr. Most have masks at check in, put one on. Otherwise go on about life. Wipe down your area frequently and liberally use lysol.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
Well, Disney has already closed their parks in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and, most recently, Tokyo. You know it's bad when Disney closes their parks, especially as it was just at the start of their busiest season (Chinese New Year).

It's gonna be interesting to see if they eventually close here in the US. If it gets bad enough that Disney closes, I imagine the other theme park companies will follow suit.

The latest news today is that there are 20 people in self-isolation in St. Louis awaiting test results. So while most of the cases have been on the west coast, it may actually be closer to us than it seems.

Watch how coverage changes in ABC and NBC, just watch. Catch 22 for media conglomerates with theme park/hotel businesses and movies. TDS got the best of them with the sensational hysteria they ginned up from the start. Same news media that tried to wish us into a recession for months last year.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
Yes, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better and theme parks and other public places are going to get whalloped. It won't be the end of days, but even a 10% decline is a big deal for them, and on a year when they just spent 30+ million on a new ride? Oof.

The disease isn't too bad for most people, but the main issue is coming into contact with someone who doesn't even know they have it yet, and then spreading it to vulnerable people. It will be a big killer of the elderly, as we've already seen. Everyone needs to do what they can do now to get as healthy as possible so you can fight it off efficiently. Going to be a long wait for a vaccine.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
Yes, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better and theme parks and other public places are going to get whalloped. It won't be the end of days, but even a 10% decline is a big deal for them, and on a year when they just spent 30+ million on a new ride? Oof.

The disease isn't too bad for most people, but the main issue is coming into contact with someone who doesn't even know they have it yet, and then spreading it to vulnerable people. It will be a big killer of the elderly, as we've already seen. Everyone needs to do what they can do now to get as healthy as possible so you can fight it off efficiently. Going to be a long wait for a vaccine.

It has been coming into this country since Dec, when it was first found in China.  There's no telling how many people have gone to the store and bought some theraflu thinking they had a cold or flu and went on about life. I actually think that's a good thing if you figure that folks gone undetected actually pushes down the mortality rate. The immediate learning curve is how to effectively those that get severe cases.

There's a fairly well respected biotech in Isreal that was working on a vaccine for a corona virus that effects chickens, they think with some tinkering it will be good for this
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/israel-migal-covid-19-vaccine/

underdog250

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »

Well people like me won't be deterred from the parks but as this inches itself closer down to this area I could see a lot of senior citizens opting not to go this year. Luckily most people that have bought season passes have probably already purchased them for the season. Unfortunately, restaurants and gift shops may take a hit if people just aren't coming. It will be really interesting to see what things will be like this Summer.

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
This is not going to just interfere with people coming into the park, but with the employees also.   SDC has a lot of employees 60+ that work at the park and come in contact with a lot of people.   Can you imagine how many people a ticket scanner comes in contact during a normal day, and most of them are elderly people that do this job.  I don't see SDC having employees wearing protective equipment while doing their job, but extreme measures may need to be taken for extreme circumstances.  Just depends upon how it all plays out in the coming weeks and months.....who knows??