Author Topic: Its a Wonderful Life  (Read 6238 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Its a Wonderful Life
« on: February 22, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
Maybe this has been discussed but I couldn't find it so.......  I have been looking at the SDC website today and have noticed that Its a Wonderful Life has been removed from the list of shows and also removed from the Broadway Style shows list under an Old Time Christmas.  They still use the picture for it as the header on the page.   Has anyone heard anything.  they talked about ending it several years ago.   https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Shows-Entertainment/Festive-Family-Entertainment
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Its a Wonderful Life
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »
I just checked, and it is gone from the website. I hope it is replaced with another show.

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
Honestly, if this is true? Good.

While I'm not opposed to the idea of an IAWL musical, I felt like the execution was not up to par.
1. I did not think the songs they added were well integrated into the show at all. The songs added to Dickens ultimately fit better and at least conveyed more effectively the mood of each scene. During IAWL, I felt each time a song came about, it stopped the story cold for no good reason other than "well, I guess it seems like a good time for a song."
2. The projected backgrounds were never easy to appreciate with the raised platform cutting them in half.
3. Show vs. Tell imbalance. Whoever adapted the material made the strange decision to keep the moments that show all of George's worst qualities while only telling us about most of his good deeds. Some of it is undoubtedly due to the difficulty of staging some of those aspects, and we do see him help Mr. Gower. But we don't see him save his brother, him stopping the run on the bank, or the scenes after Potter when he is genuinely shaken. We just hear that these things happen and have to reconcile them with the main character who we often see treating others like a jerk (held over from the film, but somehow Jimmy Stewart's skill/charm made the character's rougher aspects easier to ignore). This makes it harder to relate to and root for George, which is catastrophic because the entire story falls apart if the audience isn't in his corner. Instead we largely have to take the Angels' word that he's as good as they say he is.
4. The religious elements felt like they were poorly shoehorned into the story. Which is funny, because on the surface they would seem to fit more organically than with, say, Dickens, but that's not how it played in reality.

I expect no one to agree with me, but I couldn't get past those parts of the show. I do hope it is replaced by a new production.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
No argument from my family.  We saw the show once and never bothered to repeat for many of these reasons.  And my wife and older sons are both avid IAWL fans.

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
The only thing that is a constant in life-as well as at Silver Dollar City-is change.  That said, my wife and I really liked It's A Wonderful Life-The Musical.  The execution, the acting, just every aspect was broadway quality.  Plus how many actors get to do dance routines in a wheelchair with attractive young ladies?!?  Honestly, the negative comments surprised me, but that's why there was more than one show.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
I saw it once and will not miss it at all.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 10:51:03 PM »
I just checked, and it is gone from the website. I hope it is replaced with another show.

Last I heard you can expect a Christmas themed “World Fest” Show
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
Ooo... like... learning about how the winter holidays are celebrated in different parts of the world? Because if that's what it is, YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
Ooo... like... learning about how the winter holidays are celebrated in different parts of the world? Because if that's what it is, YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

No.  Like in bought world fest acts coming in and performing stereotypical “cultural” Christmas music
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 12:10:39 AM »
...oh. :-(

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
Since it wasn't announced as final season in 2019 for It's a Wonderful Life, is this an after the first of the year decision? I know some folks liked IAWL but I am ready for a change. Not sure a World Fest Christmas is what I would have ever considered SDC would do.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
IAWL was not even supposed to be back last season.  They announced the closing and then walked it back.  There was a survey around that time that pitched new ideas and the world fest Christmas was the one that they decided to go with
SWOOSH