Author Topic: Bringing Something Back from SDC's Past  (Read 8039 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Bringing Something Back from SDC's Past
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
Since this is in general a slow time of year conversation wise I thought I'd start a what if topic: If you could bring one thing back from SDC's past that they don't have anymore what would it be?  I would have to go with the book store.  They had books from locals and other books about subjects I wouldn't have thought of browsing for on Amazon.  I had mentioned this to them in an email and they said they just couldn't compete with places like Amazon and the store wasn't turning a profit anymore.  I know I bought something from them almost every trip but I can't keep the store open by myself.  So, what would you like to see brought back?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing Something Back from SDC's Past
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
I would bring back the ORIGINAL shows... Like the Hatfield Haint and shows like that that. Those were staples of my childhood.

Buddyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
 In mid 90’s  they would doing  lot of shows  citizens were happy to be there.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:58:01 AM »
Jim Owen's Float Trip.

As for book stores, we always visited the one on the (old) 76, between SOTH and SDC.

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 06:57:16 AM »
Huck Finn's Hideaway and the old American Plunge with the different scenes in the tunnel.

pintrader

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
There would probably be a few hundred things I would bring back, but since I can only pick one.  I would say the missing piece of track they took from FITH in 1982 to increase ride capacity.  Would love to see and experience that again.  If rumor holds true then in a couple of years or so I can say the whole ride.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 11:40:57 AM »
Jim Owen's Float Trip.

As for book stores, we always visited the one on the (old) 76, between SOTH and SDC.

I've visited that book store myself.  I always loved it was so close to SDC that you could hear the train whistle of the Old Silver Dollar while inside the store.  I would hear it after the park closed so I guess it was some kind of maintenance they were doing.
I'm Your Huckleberry

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »
One of my best memories from SDC was the dueling buckets water game. You would stand across from your opponent and throw bean bags at a target, if you hit it, it would dump a bucket of water on their head. My nephew and I would play it so much that we looked like we jumped in lake Silver.

Jay

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
I loved the gandy dancers as a kid. It was a great way to wear out kids!

I also spent HOURS in the ropes and ball pits where the Crossroads Pizza dining area is located now. It's a miracle that I never got hurt there. I absolutely loved it.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 06:08:11 PM »
The attention span of guests.  In the past, you could do a street show and have hundreds of people watch for 15 minutes or more. Now you cant get then to even come in close enough to commit. That's why the crew has to use mikes now. People today are too bombarded with media every day so when they come across an event like a street show or a musician or anything else not presented on stage with music, lighting, and costumes, ie "Spectacle", it fails to register as "worth my time."  This may sound cynical, but honestly, that's the real reason there aren't more craft demos as well. You cant bring back the old SDC because the culture has changed. Jumanji cant stay a board game.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
The attention span of guests.  In the past, you could do a street show and have hundreds of people watch for 15 minutes or more. Now you cant get then to even come in close enough to commit. That's why the crew has to use mikes now. People today are too bombarded with media every day so when they come across an event like a street show or a musician or anything else not presented on stage with music, lighting, and costumes, ie "Spectacle", it fails to register as "worth my time."  This may sound cynical, but honestly, that's the real reason there aren't more craft demos as well. You cant bring back the old SDC because the culture has changed. Jumanji cant stay a board game.

I don't think I like this post at all, but I concede that it is probably true.  I like to think SDC still has the power to transform a crowd if they so choose.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »

I don't think I like this post at all, but I concede that it is probably true.  I like to think SDC still has the power to transform a crowd if they so choose.

I think it’s more of a culture of ultimate planning to the nano-second.  If the park was to publish a set schedule for demonstrations on their app and in the map schedule then people might actually schedule these things into their days.  The new generations don’t do spontaneous.  Everything has to have a reason.  They might stumble upon these interactions but they don’t stay long because they’re on a schedule and have an ultimate destination to get to.  We teachers see this in the classroom all the time.  You have to have a legitimate reason for everything now.  “Because I said so” doesn’t cut it
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:05:35 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 08:44:11 AM »

Your right the culture has changed but SDC has changed right along with it.  SDC is a ride driven park for the most part now, and people are going from one to the other and not stopping for the little things that made the park great.  Like Swoosh said they might stumble on it and watch awhile but they have another destination to get to.  People won't stop for the street show or demonstrations because there are 3 venues with heating and air with nice seating, plus 3 outdoor venues with seating.   Like you say it's not worth my time when I can watch something that has great lighting, costumes and probably the biggest thing comfort.

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
Jim Owen's Float Trip.

I concur on the Float Trip.  It was a fun ride and funny to see the different things as you floated along.  From the whirlpool, to the outhouse above you tipping over, it was a neat experience! 
I Love SDC!

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »
I concur on the Float Trip.  It was a fun ride and funny to see the different things as you floated along.  From the whirlpool, to the outhouse above you tipping over, it was a neat experience!

Those items were part of American Plunge for so many years until they decided to make the changes to the Ozark daredevils. AP was so awesome with the cave, whirlpool, tipping out house, etc.  - Just bring these things back and the AP would be so awesome.

Jay