Author Topic: Waterfall  (Read 2898 times)

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Waterfall
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:54:23 AM »
I was just wondering if the rumors about the Waterfall are true, they say that at one time you used to be able to walk behind the falls. Is this true? If is is true then why did they discontinue allowing guests to walk behind the falls. Is it possible they will ever reopen that area again?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:11:11 AM »
Yes, You could walk behind the falls. As a teenager I had a few moments back there with some young ladies I met while roaming the park. :).  Nothing bad just typical get away by yourself stuff. Maybe that's why they closed it, but pretty sure it was some safety thing.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Yes, I vividly remember walking behind the falls. We have several photos in our family albums from behind the falls, along with a video or 2 of us behind them. It was closed off sometime in the mid 90's I believe. I always assumed they closed it off due to the fake rock structure that would/could crumble on guests due to safety concerns. I also remember it being a wood-chip path all the way around.

For several Christmas seasons they had a large house-like structure in the center of the pond area. It was synchronized to lights and a narrator over speakers played "Twas the Night Before Christmas." This structure was later moved to part of the train ride as one of the scenes you passed, the lights staying stagnate of course, with no narration. 
You have a great past just ahead of you.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Yes, You could walk behind the falls. As a teenager I had a few moments back there with some young ladies I met while roaming the park. :).  Nothing bad just typical get away by yourself stuff. Maybe that's why they closed it, but pretty sure it was some safety thing.

I'm pretty sure teenage-type shenanigans are exactly the reason it is closed.  They're certainly not going to hire someone just to police the hormones; it's much easier just to close off the area.

Also, there were log rolling demonstrations in the pond.

I never liked the falls.  I've always been bothered by the fact that they didn't use the contour of the land and make a more natural feature.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »
The walk behind the falls was open until at least 2004-ish? The last time I walked back there, my ex-stepmom and ex-stepsis were with us..... I just can't remember what year my dad remarried (I never bothered to memorize their anniversary, lol), so the above is just an estimate.

I always enjoyed going back there; gotta love the Eighth Wonder of the World ;)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »
I do have a picture from behind the waterfall, somewhere in a photo album, in a box, buried in the garage. lol!
Live life like it's the last day!