Author Topic: Fire In The Hole Bump  (Read 10451 times)

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
Fire In The Hole Bump
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
I love the Fire In The Hole!  I always have.  The "Thunderation Bump" thread reminded me that there is also a hard jolt in Fire In The Hole.  It is especially evident if one is riding in the last seat of the back car.  As you are going over the first hill at the burning bridge, there are two or three very violent hits to your whole body.  It has gotten worse over the past few years.

From now on, I will ask that they not put me in the last car.  Has anyone else noticed the roughness of which I speak? 
I Love SDC!

Jipper

• View Profile
Re: Fire In The Hole Bump
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
I've never noticed it. Second hill w/ train has always been the more jerky hill in my view.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
Never noticed it.   ???

Not that it’ll matter much longer anyway
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Yea, the back train is much more rough than the front one when coming up the other sides of the drops and when coming back into the station after the last drop.  I always try to get in one of the first 3 rows.

pintrader

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
  As you are going over the first hill at the burning bridge, there are two or three very violent hits to your whole body.  It has gotten worse over the past few years.

I think you are talking about the jolt or kind of pop up at the bottom of the hill instead of going over the hill.  It is a pretty good jar to your body but it has been this way for a very long time.   

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
Never noticed it.   ???

Is it going away?!?!

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
Never noticed it.   ???

Is it going away?!?!

If your talking about the little jolt ......probably not.  If your talking about the ride itself.......rumor has it.

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »
Never noticed it.   ???

Is it going away?!?!

If your talking about the little jolt ......probably not.  If your talking about the ride itself.......rumor has it.

NOOOOOO!!!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »
I love the Fire In The Hole!  I always have.  The "Thunderation Bump" thread reminded me that there is also a hard jolt in Fire In The Hole.  It is especially evident if one is riding in the last seat of the back car.  As you are going over the first hill at the burning bridge, there are two or three very violent hits to your whole body.  It has gotten worse over the past few years.

Those bumps are intentional I believe.  Its part of the bridge collapsing effect that has kinda gone down hill in recent years.  Very effective when it really thumps.  This is a cpl three bumps that have been there for years.

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »
I always thought that the tracking of the ride, specifically the area you mention, felt the way it is due to the engineering and manufacturing that created it. I don't believe its an intentional effect, but is likely due to how the track is shaped in perfect circles. Specifically for that moment on the first drop, it is a perfect circle in the down motion, and a perfect circle in an upward motion. There is no transition or lead into the change from downward to upwards motion, making the transition a little jarring. You can find similar sensations on smaller Arrow mine trains caused by the exact same thing.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
I had the chance to talk to Brad Thomas about Fire in the Hole. I expressed my concern about all the rumors I've heard surrounding Fire in th Hole.  He told that he is very much aware of how much this ride means to us.  He also said that they recognize that many people view FITH as essential to the park. This gives me hope that, whatever happens, FITH will return in some form.

pintrader

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
He also said that they recognize that many people view FITH as essential to the park.

When he said essential do you think he meant the ride itself or the history connected to the ride, or both?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
I had the chance to talk to Brad Thomas about Fire in the Hole. I expressed my concern about all the rumors I've heard surrounding Fire in th Hole.  He told that he is very much aware of how much this ride means to us.  He also said that they recognize that many people view FITH as essential to the park. This gives me hope that, whatever happens, FITH will return in some form.

I do not think there was ever a  concern it would not return.  Just what form it would return in. I look for a combination  dark ride and outdoor experience myself. Maybe a Mystery Mine type setup. And that is just a guess.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Sadly you can guarantee it will be super PC in whatever form it does return. Highly doubt the Baldknobbers or town burning story will return. Just like them getting rid of the real shotgun on the train robbery.

pintrader

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
Sadly you can guarantee it will be super PC in whatever form it does return. Highly doubt the Baldknobbers or town burning story will return. Just like them getting rid of the real shotgun on the train robbery.

If they get rid of the ride, the Baldknobbers, and the town burning story then that sure isn't going to leave much room for it to return in some form.