Author Topic: $1 gas could spur attendence  (Read 10770 times)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
$1 gas could spur attendence
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:40 PM »
I was thinking about the predicted $1 a gallon gas for spring/summer next year and wondering if it could spur attendence next season.  It makes you wonder if the credit crisis were to ease a little if SDC would reconsider it's hold on River Blast to catch a little windfall from cheaper gas?  I would think the entertainment industry would be the first to benefit from people coming through the winter/downturn in the economy, and ready to reward themselves with a trip.  For some it might very well be the first vacation in a couple years that required any driving.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: $1 gas could spur attendence
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »
I'm extremely doubtful that gas will go down much farther, especially into the spring/summer. First of all, if it gets anywhere near that people are just going to start using gas en masse just like in the old days. It's not like people saw the light when gas went up to $4, they just responded to the cost for a little while. If it stays down too long you'll start to see the hummers roll out again and demand will shoot back up.

Now, by next summer gas could still be down, like around $2.50 or so, but a trip for a family of 4 will still cost hundreds of dollars, so it's still extremely hard to budget for many.

Overall I just don't foresee a boom of people traveling just because gas prices are down. People are still hurting in the wallet and any unnecessary things like leisure trips are just out of the question for many. I do wish they would take the SB project off hold though - it's unseemly to have that gaping hole in the park this long, and as you said, it will aid attendance through and out of this thing. Don't look for that to happen though, there are more factors at play here than even what SDC decides. The ride itself is still caught up in European credit issues, right?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
I really don't expect it to go below the $1.50-ish mark where it's been hovering for weeks (except for the $1.69 spike at Thanksgiving).

After Christmas I need to top up all my emergency backup tanks (7 x 5 gallon NATO tanks) and add STA-BIL. Generator season is coming.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
There is no credit crisis- my post from another forum- check it out yourself- to blame the credit crisis is smoke and mirrors

"I believe there is more to the story than the Euro rate- using the following link over the last two months the U.S. dollar has gone form .69 euros to .79- the dollar is current enjoying strength against the Euro- as most bids are given on a 3 days out basis- management could lock in a quote now while the dollar is up. I also looked at the value in the middle of the summer when the ride was announced and in June is was a rate of .64 compared to the rate of .79 now- the dollar is stronger than then the ride was announced.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory"

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »
I just got back from sdc and it was more crowded than I have ever seen it and they were still lined up all the way to 76 to get in when I left but I dont think it has anything to do with the price of gas everyone still seems to whatever they want to.
I tell ya I aint got no pants no-more....

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:51:36 PM »
SDC BLEW IT, TONIGHTOkay, so SDC had over 20,000 people in the park on Saturday.  Are they so stupid as to think that they handle that many people?  Do they think that an hour wait to leave the park, not load onto a tram, but to exit from the Christmas tree to the exit turn stile is acceptable?  Do they think that it is acceptable to host a special guest company and cancel two of the Nativity shows as a result?  Saturday was a monumental blunder for SDC.  Hopefully, they will learn from this terribly executed day.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
I definitely think it will push the $1 gallon mark breifly as many large players are forecasting oil at $25 a barrel at some point between now and next spring/summer.  You are right though, this slide is very temporary and it will spike quickly as soon as some of the world economies show even modest recovery.  Had this downturn been limited to the U.S. we would still be around the $3.50 a gallon ($4.00 was unsustainable due to demand destruction), but the global reach of the meltdown has began to halt growth of consumption in China and India.  I am sure a major event/disaster will also increase speculation eventually, but in the short term it is going to fall.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
It's a matter of time before NATO cuts production, so the gasoline prices should be stabilizing.  It's at a comfortable rate now for most.

Strangely enough, to address some posts, people in poverty spend money on entertainment first.  Educational research shows that folks will do without necessities in order to purchase a big TV, baseball tickets, and vacation packages.  Take it for what it's worth.

And finally, SDC often has unbelievably oversized crowds during this season.  It is a shame that when the park is being successful is the same time as we tend to have unhappy experiences and frustration.  It's a paradox that we want the park to be a success, while at the same time we want a medium-crowd experience.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
Back in the late 70's a typical fall festival would exceede 20,000 on any Saturday. Come to think about it, that was during a gas shortage and a tough financial time!
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
I really don't expect it to go below the $1.50-ish mark where it's been hovering for weeks (except for the $1.69 spike at Thanksgiving).

Gas is $1.35 in Kansas City right now.  It was $1.47 in Springfield this weekend.
SWOOSH

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
unfair! It's $!.89 here in CT. I just love regional pricing >:(
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »
It's a matter of time before NATO cuts production, so the gasoline prices should be stabilizing.  It's at a comfortable rate now for most.

Strangely enough, to address some posts, people in poverty spend money on entertainment first.  Educational research shows that folks will do without necessities in order to purchase a big TV, baseball tickets, and vacation packages.  Take it for what it's worth.

And finally, SDC often has unbelievably oversized crowds during this season.  It is a shame that when the park is being successful is the same time as we tend to have unhappy experiences and frustration.  It's a paradox that we want the park to be a success, while at the same time we want a medium-crowd experience.

Not to nitpick, but did you mean OPEC?  If not you have my attention as conspiracy theories always grab my attention. :)

There is no credit crisis- my post from another forum- check it out yourself- to blame the credit crisis is smoke and mirrors

"I believe there is more to the story than the Euro rate- using the following link over the last two months the U.S. dollar has gone form .69 euros to .79- the dollar is current enjoying strength against the Euro- as most bids are given on a 3 days out basis- management could lock in a quote now while the dollar is up. I also looked at the value in the middle of the summer when the ride was announced and in June is was a rate of .64 compared to the rate of .79 now- the dollar is stronger than then the ride was announced.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory"

There is definitely a credit crisis, which is completely different than what you are discussing.  I think what you are referring to is the exchange rate between the dollar and the Euro, or rather the devaluation of the dollar.  I would be willing to bet that the credit crisis is the real reason that Silver Dollar City is not going forward with their original plans.  Companies, especially theme parks rely heavily on borrowing money for new big investments.  There is no way that the Herschend's have the kind of money they have been throwing at Dollywood and SDC in recent years, not to mention the purchase of Wild Adventures just laying around.  I think the ivestments in Dollywood alone were to be in excess of 250 million!  :o  With banks skittish about lending, these investments become impossible. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »
^True banks are skiddish, but let's be realistic -- this is the Herschends we are talking about.  The Herschends are basically the "Disneys" of the Ozarks.

I think the real issue (and they admitted on Saturday it was not ALL the economy's fault for the reason they are delaying the expansions) is the fact that the parking lot expansions went over budget big time and they are not even close to being finished with them.  The new lot to the West of Lot C is still being constructed. A/C (now known as B) is still being filled in, and the list goes on.

SWOOSH

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Thank you for the dose of truth.  I'm just sitting here scratching my head as to how park attendance has bee so low that the park can't finish the swimmin' hole. Everytime that I went this years, there were tons of people.   I think that if SDC was just a little more open with their reasoning, people who are usually loyal to SDC would be more understanding. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
Not to nitpick, but did you mean OPEC?  If not you have my attention as conspiracy theories always grab my attention.

Yes, I just misspelled it!  It was a typo.  Maybe we both should blame NASA!  Talk about a conspiracy.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating