Author Topic: New ads? Craft Days and Pumpkin Nights  (Read 5110 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
New ads? Craft Days and Pumpkin Nights
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
Live up here by Topeka, and am hearing radio spots all about the New SDC Event,  Craft days and Pumpkin nights.  goes into detail about all the stuff going on.. I heard, new walkway, Blacklight event?  Al sorts of extra things to do.

Have you heard the new ad yet?  where are you located?

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: New ads? Craft Days and Pumpkin Nights
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
I was there yesterday and asked around about this event because I am not sure I want to stay for it or not. From what I was told there would be special eateries in the new woodland area with one way in and out. Dance parties and pumpkins everywhere. He stressed it was NOT Halloween and there would be no candy passed out or things of that nature. It was strictly about the pumpkin. Not Halloween. I walked back into GE and saw some of the pumpkins and the couple sculptures that are out. Its looking nice. Was also told the shops would be closed down as well as a majority of the eatin places. The bigger ones would stay open and the rides would be open.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:35:28 PM »
Interesting... I was at Dollywood last year on Halloween Day, and after school let out the crowds got a bit larger, but it was mostly just kids in costumes with their parents there to trick'or'treat - they gave out bags and candy along the loop to kids.

Honestly, I feel like Halloween has become secular enough that I think it's kinda dumb for Herschend to pretend that SDC is doing this whole pumpkin thing for Fall and not because Halloween is one of the most popular holidays at theme parks these days. I mean, Disney has it's own version of a Halloween celebration without needing to go the "horror" route like other chains.

Then again, SDC still emphasizes the Christian version of Yule for Christmas, so... I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

Although the no-candy at SDC when Dollywood does still surprise me a bit. But maybe Dolly had some say in it and that's the difference...?

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
I'm intrigued by Pumpkin Nights, and will be there in a few weeks to experience it. I'm nervous about the dance parties, though. I hope they aren't as obnoxious and out-of-place as the dance parties during Moonlight Madness. We took a first-timer to SDC this summer during Moonlight Madness, and he remarked that the street dance seemed out-of-place for a 19th century-themed park.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »
I am just wondering how geared towards littles this is. I know pumpkins are for all ages, but this just seems more for little ones. Which is odd considering how late this runs. I am not sure if we will stay for the pumpkin scene. We dont go to MM because it does not fit SDC, IMO. I dont mind the onslaught of pumpkins either, but the kinda juvenile aspect of this does not appeal to me. We are going for the craft portion though! :)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
Well, I can say from firsthand experience, I and my two fellow 30-somethings absolutely LOVED LumiNights at Dollywood. It's one thing to see the pumpkins during the day, but man it is SO pretty at night! If you like Christmas lights and pretty stuff like that, I think y'all will like the after-dark times for Pumpkin Nights. Also, it looks like they're keeping it mostly just to Grand Expo, so it'll probably be pretty easy to bypass it, whereas Dollywood is pretty much a single large loop so you have to go through/past the LumiNights decor to get anywhere. Also, all the rides will be open after dark, so that'll be fun! We did Wild Eagle after dark and it was so fun; I've done Outlaw Run after dark and WOW what a ride!

underdog250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:35 PM »
Interesting... I was at Dollywood last year on Halloween Day, and after school let out the crowds got a bit larger, but it was mostly just kids in costumes with their parents there to trick'or'treat - they gave out bags and candy along the loop to kids.

Honestly, I feel like Halloween has become secular enough that I think it's kinda dumb for Herschend to pretend that SDC is doing this whole pumpkin thing for Fall and not because Halloween is one of the most popular holidays at theme parks these days. I mean, Disney has it's own version of a Halloween celebration without needing to go the "horror" route like other chains.

Then again, SDC still emphasizes the Christian version of Yule for Christmas, so... I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

Although the no-candy at SDC when Dollywood does still surprise me a bit. But maybe Dolly had some say in it and that's the difference...?

I wish they'd just bite the bullet and say it's Halloween. You know it's Halloween...I know it's Halloween. It's Halloween.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »

I wish they'd just bite the bullet and say it's Halloween. You know it's Halloween...I know it's Halloween. It's Halloween.

Me too. Not really sure what the problem is here ?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:26:25 AM »

Me too. Not really sure what the problem is here ?

The problem is a narrow slice of people who are very vocal about their hate for Halloween and anything that might be related to it. They're the same ones that come out in force during the Southern Gospel fest and that we would have to make minor "adjustments" to the train robbery so we wouldn't have to listen to them complain.

As a pastor, I probably encounter the type much more than non-church goers would. But if you've got any, shall I say, "holiness" or "traditionalists" in your church group, then you might know what I'm talking about.

And with the park and corporation still trying to be respectful to that group because of their Christian roots, it plays a role in things like this.

But I agree.  I don't think the name is a big deal. Except that this is also a way to reinforce that it's not scary, frightening or filled with monsters, but is very much kid and family friendly.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
Johnny Cash had a song that said, "You're so Heavenly minded, you're no Earthly good." As usual, he nailed it!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
We just heard an ad for Pumpkin Nights on the radio here in Central Arkansas. 
I'm Your Huckleberry